Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

At end of my wits with finding DVD writer on XP

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#1 jabbamp

jabbamp

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:58 AM

Posted 27 May 2014 - 11:05 PM

Hi peops,

I am hoping to get some fresh ideas which do not include completely reinstalling my XP system.

Problem:

My old dvd drive died, so got a new Samsung DVD Writer model SH-224. But what ever I do, I can't get XP to find it.

I am using XP SP3. My Machine is an AMD Quad core with 4gb mem. drives are all SATA and working fine. I dual boot (triple boot?) with XP, Windows 7 and Ubuntu. The drive is perfect with Windows 7 and ubuntu. Absolutely no problems with finding and using it, but XP refuses to play ball. I can find the drive in the Bios just fine and it shows the proper information.

I have searched and search and tried and tried every possible method I can before posting here. I must have looked through every post on the matter by now and tried everything I have come across to no avail including the following:

- Microsoft fixit files

- editing the registry including:

>Amendment/deletion to reg UPPERFILTERS and LOWERFILTERS (or the upper and lower variations if they existed).

>Amendments to reg HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\atapi as instructed (Controller0->EnumDevice1->1).

- installing Magicdisc (very bad suggestion. Didn't work and took me ages to work out how to get rid of the blasted thing after).

- it cannot be found in device manager, so no drive letter to change

- searching for Malware using a couple of different options/programs

I think I tried quite a few more things, but there has been so many I am losing track. Because the drive works in both other operating systems, I know it's fine and connected, so it seems it's something strange with XP somehow. I am only posting here because I have completely run out of ideas and now all the solutions I come across are repeats of everything I have tried.

So, does anyone have any more ideas or things I can try? I really don't want to reinstall xp because I have so many things on there I need and am not yet set for moving completely to the other OS's for a little while yet. Any help would be much appreciated :)

Edited by hamluis, 01 June 2014 - 10:34 AM.
Moved from XP to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,078 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:58 PM

Posted 27 May 2014 - 11:12 PM

G'day Michael and Welcome to BC !

Do you have a restore point in XP by any chance...?

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#3 jabbamp

jabbamp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2014 - 12:09 AM

G'day Michael and Welcome to BC !

Do you have a restore point in XP by any chance...?

Hiya Condobloke. Yes, tried restoring back, but no luck with it unfortunately. And just to add, I have tried moving the cables about to different sata connections on the mother board and switch the cables about between the hard drives just in cas it was the cables, but nothing changed. Everything exactly the same :/

Edited by jabbamp, 28 May 2014 - 12:09 AM.

#4 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,234 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2014 - 12:42 AM

Did you delete any installed CD/DVD drivers after adjusting the filters, before restarting?

#5 jabbamp

jabbamp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2014 - 04:00 AM

There is no CD drivers installed. The CD/DVD category in the device manager was not there at all so I could not see any drivers to delete. This is still the case now. The only time recently I have seen it what when I installed Magicdisc. It showed in that category as the virtual drive. Once removed, the DVD category goes.

#6 RevGAM

RevGAM

• Members
  • 723 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:58 AM

Posted 28 May 2014 - 04:17 AM

Do you have, or can you download, the drivers for the new DVD device?

Namaste, Peace & Love,
Glenn

If I have frustrated you, then I must be a student. If I've imparted information or a skill to you, then I must be a teacher. If I've helped you, then I must be a volunteer. If I've touched your life, then I must be happy!
If you had to choose between saving just your family, or saving 10,000 GOOD people (but not your family), what would you choose?

#7 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,234 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2014 - 04:24 AM

Doesn't seem like it can help, no identified device to attach them to... It has me stumped. Normally associated with hardware problems.

There is a firmware update for the device, you could try installing that from another machine and then try again.

#8 RevGAM

RevGAM

• Members
  • 723 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2014 - 04:36 AM

If the OP has the drivers on a CD or downloaded, s/he can run the Add New Hardware CP, select the hardware (it may show up as unknown or it may be listed as a generiic device, for example) from the list of hardware.

Alternatively, instead of letting it search, s/he could manually search and select an item that is the closest to what is installed.

Select Have Disk. A dialog will open up to allow the selection of the appropriate driver(s) and then the installation can proceed.

Namaste, Peace & Love,
Glenn

If I have frustrated you, then I must be a student. If I've imparted information or a skill to you, then I must be a teacher. If I've helped you, then I must be a volunteer. If I've touched your life, then I must be happy!
If you had to choose between saving just your family, or saving 10,000 GOOD people (but not your family), what would you choose?

#9 jabbamp

jabbamp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2014 - 04:56 AM

I tried to copy the disk that came with the machine onto a USB stick to see if I could get that to go. But it seems it only had DVD burning software on it. There seems to be no driver on it, at least not one that has an installer. So without detection, it can't install a driver from the CD even if there was one on there somewhere. I tried the firmware, but it says it needs to be able to find the drive to be able to update it. I went to do the firmware update on windows 7, but it seems anyway that the firmware is already up to date, which is what it said on installation. I suppose I could try and install the burning software on xp and see if that will help. I did install them on the windows 7 installation, but then the drive was having no problems there without them installed anyway. Will try in minute though... just in case.

#10 RevGAM

RevGAM

• Members
  • 723 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2014 - 05:05 AM

Sorry, does the DVD player have a symbol indicating compatibility with WXP?

Since I don't know the two letters at the end of the model number, I cannot direct you to the download page for your drive.  However, if you go here http://www.samsung.com/au/support/main/supportMain.do you can search for the drivers (if they have any).

Not sure what you're going to do if it isn't compatible with XP unless you can make your own drivers. :o

Namaste, Peace & Love,
Glenn

#11 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,234 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2014 - 05:12 AM

I searched the drive earlier today, it is XP compatible.

#12 jabbamp

jabbamp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2014 - 05:23 AM

Yes, I have been to the site to look for drivers. It is only the quick install guide that you can get. The whole model number was SH-224DB. Did not get me any driver unfortunately. And yes, it is XP compatible according to the box. Says Windows 2000, XP/Vista/7/8.

#13 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,078 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2014 - 05:28 AM

Is there somewhere in your triple boot.....where you would mark/select XP as active....???.....does this ring any bells for you ?

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#14 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,234 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2014 - 05:31 AM

firmware update is here... this can actually solve your problem.

#15 jabbamp

jabbamp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2014 - 05:59 AM

I have not seen anything like that Condobloke. As far as I know I had installed the os's as a couple of guides I have followed and all went smoothly. There was nothing I can remember saying that one thing or another would be enabled/disabled.

TsVk!, I already have that firmware update. When I ran it, it just pops up a dialogue box that says:

Drive can't be found.

I tried again anyway with the one you posted just in case, but it says the same thing. Seems the drive needs to be detected to be able to install the firmware update. But it is allso the firmware version that is already in the drive according to the box. says F/W = SB01 which is the same version as the online update anyway. So I don't think that will be the answer in the end. It really is a strange mystery why XP cannot find this drive. I am so stumped :scratchhead:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users