Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

installation problem

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 larrydc

larrydc

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:16 PM

Posted 27 May 2014 - 10:32 PM

several years ago I had problems installing windows updates on my windows 7. When they would try to install on start up, they appeared to install fine until they get to one that would not install, and I would get installation failed message. Someone said microsoft sent the wrong update for 64 bit windows 7. It has been a few years and since I haven't been able to install, I haven't been able update anything including my internet explorer. Now I can't get on the internet and apparently need usb drivers. What should I do?

Edited by larrydc, 28 May 2014 - 01:54 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,105 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:16 AM

Posted 27 May 2014 - 11:01 PM

.....Welcome to BC, Larry !!!!

Try this (ADMIN COMMAND WINDOW): 

net stop Wuauserv
    attrib -r %systemroot%\SoftwareDistribution /S /D
    rd /s /Q %systemroot%\SoftwareDistribution
    net start Wuauserv
    shutdown -r
    run windows update

Observe the spaces....eg, between shutdown and -r......etc etc

Edited by Condobloke, 27 May 2014 - 11:05 PM.

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#3 larrydc

larrydc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:16 PM

Posted 28 May 2014 - 06:23 PM

Thank you. I'm going to have to study about how to follow your directions. I'm thankful for the tutorials.

#4 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 6,105 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2014 - 06:46 PM

This should help...;

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/windows-elevated-command-prompt/

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#5 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 6,105 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2014 - 05:55 PM

This should fix windows update....

Download

Windows Repair (All In One)

Extract and launch the Repair_Windows.exe file

Click on Start repairs tab-click on Start

check mark following options alone

Reset registry permissions
reset file permissions

Checkmark Restart System When Finished option
click the Start button

System should restart after repair

You should be able to update now

and this should fix the no internet problem....

Turn off computer. Disconnect router, and modem from power source for 1 minute. At the same time disconnect ethernet cable as well.
Reconnect everything.
Restart computer.

If that doesn't work, bypass router, and connect computer straight to the modem.

If that doesn't work...
Go Start>Run (Start search in Vista), type in:
cmd
Click OK (in Vista and 7, while holding CTRL, and SHIFT, press Enter).

In Command Prompt window, type in following commands, and hit Enter after each one:
ipconfig /flushdns
ipconfig /registerdns
ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew
net stop "dns client"
net start "dns client"

Restart computer.

If that doesn't work...
Go Start>Run (Start search in Vista and 7), type in:
cmd
Click OK (in Vista and 7, while holding CTRL, and SHIFT, press Enter).

At Command Prompt, type in:
netsh int ip reset reset.log
Hit Enter.
Type in:
netsh winsock reset catalog
Hit Enter.

Restart computer.

GcnI1aH.jpg

#6 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 6,105 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2014 - 08:31 PM

If you need more help here please either PM me or open a fresh topic

GcnI1aH.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users