Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Word 2010: Excel chart "edit" button greyed out

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 raymondshaw

raymondshaw

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:03 AM

Posted 27 May 2014 - 10:02 PM

Hey there.  I have a document in MS Word 2010 which contains a couple of charts.  Seemingly out of the blue, one of them now has a greyed out "edit" button.  The other works just fine.  Pardon me if I missed something extremely obvious, but I don't really see anything that would indicate a chart in Word can be locked or unlocked.  I also tried some Google searching and didn't find anything that seemed germane to my problem.

Like I said, apologies of I missed something really obvious, but is there some setting I accidentally triggered that caused this chart to lock?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 kunalthechamp

kunalthechamp

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:33 PM

Posted 28 May 2014 - 04:33 AM

Click on the chart, there are two ways to edit: right click and click edit data or the design tab on the ribbon and edit data. Are both these buttons grayed out?

Did you create the charts yourself?

If the chart was pasted into the Word document as Excel Object, the Excel file containing this chart will be opened when you double-click on the chart.
If it was pasted as a bmp then of course there is no link to the source, it's just a picture.

A chart created in Word is not the same as a chart 'embedded' in Word with Excel or another application for that matter as source.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 raymondshaw

raymondshaw
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:03 AM

Posted 29 May 2014 - 02:15 AM

Yep, both button you mentioned are greyed out.  Actually, quite few of them in the design tab are--switch row/column, select data, and refresh data.  I made the Word document first and then used the insert chart button to make it.  It worked fine for a few months until recently.

#4 kunalthechamp

kunalthechamp

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:33 PM

Posted 29 May 2014 - 06:23 AM

If the issue is with only this one chart there could be a million things wrong with it or it could just be an error that we will never find the source of. I know its not what you want to hear but just create a new chart :)

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users