Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installing new heatsink questions.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 SumAsianGuy

SumAsianGuy

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:21 PM

Posted 27 May 2014 - 09:15 PM

Due to my cpu overheating problems, I've resorted to replacing my liquid cooled heatsink with this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005O65JXI/

Is there anything I need to know beforehand? Maybe some tips or precautions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,066 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:21 PM

Posted 27 May 2014 - 09:35 PM

4 heat pipes and the 120mm fan hurling the heat straight at your rear exhaust fan ...all on a budget.  make sure you have the room for it, and also note that it is the 4 pin pwm fan. most fans and mobo fan sockets are standard 3 pin nowadays. also, be sure it is for the correct cpu socket. 1366 and 1155/2011 was a limited edition intel series. it looks like it is good for most amd sockets though you may want to check and be sure..

you  need to re-apply your thermal compound also, so clean the old stuff off with alcohol and cloth before the new rice-grain size amount  goes on the cpu surface. it may be pre-applied on the heatsink contact surface. arctic silver 5 is the stuff most users recommend.

in the end. i think the cpu temperature range should be idling in the low 40s celsius. you can get speccy in the download section here, it is a good temperature monitor.

Moore's Law : 4d Graph in Progress

#3 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:21 PM

Posted 28 May 2014 - 05:35 AM

If you have a case which allows access to the underside of the motherboard where the CPU is (common on decent quality cases now, not common on very cheap ones or older cases) then it should be a fairly straightforward fit.  If you don't have access to the underside of the board, then it will be a motherboard out job.

Check the dimensions.  At 159mm tall it won't fit in more compact cases.  Should be OK on roomier 'midi tower' or bigger cases.

It'll work with most recent AMD and Intel sockets (including LGA 1150 not mentioned in the Amazon description).

The 4 pin fan is not a problem at all.  All motherboards I've used in the last few years have a PWM (4 pin) fan header for at least the CPU.  Even if it doesn't, the fan plug is keyed to work with a 3 pin header, you just won't get the benefit of variable speed.

7sbvuf-6.png

#4 Mistersprinkles

Mistersprinkles

• Banned
  • 118 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:21 PM

Posted 28 May 2014 - 03:26 PM

4 heat pipes and the 120mm fan hurling the heat straight at your rear exhaust fan ...all on a budget.  make sure you have the room for it, and also note that it is the 4 pin pwm fan. most fans and mobo fan sockets are standard 3 pin nowadays. also, be sure it is for the correct cpu socket. 1366 and 1155/2011 was a limited edition intel series. it looks like it is good for most amd sockets though you may want to check and be sure..

They were not limited edition Intel series. Also, 2011 is alive and well.

you  need to re-apply your thermal compound also, so clean the old stuff off with alcohol and cloth before the new rice-grain size amount  goes on the cpu surface. it may be pre-applied on the heatsink contact surface. arctic silver 5 is the stuff most users recommend.

AS5 is ancient technology. Nobody should use it. It performs 1-3 degrees hotter than the best compounds and is capacitive. Get it in the socket and you'll short it out. I suggest Noctua NTH1 or AC MX4

in the end. i think the cpu temperature range should be idling in the low 40s celsius. you can get speccy in the download section here, it is a good temperature monitor.

You don't even know what CPU he has or what voltage it's at dude.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users