Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System wont boot after factory reset

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 BoltsFan760

BoltsFan760

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:05 AM

Posted 27 May 2014 - 08:49 PM

My wife and daughter accidentally deleted my windows 8.1 partition along with all restore points on my hard drive. So after a long time with help from a mod on this website, it was decided a factory reset was in order. I did the factory reset, i loaded windows 8, I went ahead removing factory installed mcafee, when it came time to restart i did so. On the immediate boot up my system will not load. The screen goes between flashing light and dark black. Any ideas of what this could be? I am able to get into the BiOS screen but do not know what to select.

I have a Dell Inspiron 660 moved into a after market case. the entire system was working smooth until this all happened with the windows 8.1 being deleted. I just bought this system 6 months ago and am really hoping I dont have to buy a new one. any help is most appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:05 PM

Posted 27 May 2014 - 09:31 PM

I would call Dell Technical support explaining that 8.1 was deleted and a factory reset failed. I wouldn't mention the after market case. Dell is pretty good at giving a Factory Disk or USB key to get the computer back. In fact their was a person on the board who called Dell and Dell sent him a USB flash drive with Windows 8. Hopefully you still have the service tag number. It should be on your receipt.

I am not sure about the flashing screen. That could be a hardware problem or some problem with the video driver.

Edited by JohnC_21, 27 May 2014 - 09:31 PM.

#3 BoltsFan760

BoltsFan760
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:05 AM

Posted 28 May 2014 - 07:50 PM

I think I figured it out, I had an old geforce VC plugged into the motherboard with no cable attached. My best guess was the MB was trying to display through the old VC and that's why the screen was flickering on start-up. I pulled out the old VC and tried a reboot, everything loaded properly. Now in the process of updating windows 8 so I can install 8.1

***update*** windows 8.1 installed properly, seems everything is working properly. thanks for all the help

Edited by BoltsFan760, 28 May 2014 - 10:39 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users