Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to start in SAFE MODE? Stuck on automatic repair?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 computerfunguy

computerfunguy

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:36 PM

Posted 27 May 2014 - 07:44 PM

I am working on an HP 2000-2b09wm laptop running windows 8.   When you start the computer, it shopws the hp sign and under it is says, "WIndows Automatic Repair" then after it runs for a few minutes, it goes to a black screen?   I cannot get to the windows desktop to start repairing it or starting a virus scan.   I am kind of new to windows 8.  How can i fix this?  How do i start it in safe mode so i can install and start i virus scan?  Any help would be great.  THANKS!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:36 PM

Posted 27 May 2014 - 08:06 PM

From the Windows 8 Help & Support, here's the procedure

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

Windows Startup Settings (including safe mode)

With Windows Startup Settings (which used to be called "Advanced boot options") you can start Windows in different advanced troubleshooting modes to help you find and fix problems on your PC.

To get to Windows Startup Settings

1.     Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, tap Settings, and then tap Change PC settings.
(If you're using a mouse, point to the lower-right corner of the screen, move the mouse pointer up, click Settings, and then click Change PC settings.)

2.     Under PC settings, tap or click Update and recovery, and then tap or click Recovery.

3.     Under Advanced startup, tap or click Restart now.

4.     Once your PC restarts, on the Choose an option screen, tap or click Troubleshoot.

5.If you don't see the Startup Settings option, tap or click Advanced options.

6.     Tap or click Startup Settings.

7.     Tap or click Restart.

8.     On the Startup Settings screen, choose the startup setting you want.

9.     Sign in to your PC with a user account that has administrator rights.

```````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

MS keeps coming out with updates telling us how wonderful they've made it, but I defy anyone to call this an improvement!  :devil: 

Edited by wpgwpg, 27 May 2014 - 08:08 PM.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#3 vinotd

vinotd

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:06 AM

Posted 27 May 2014 - 08:11 PM

Hp pavillion dm4

i5 processor

3 gb ram

500 gb hdd

windows home premium 64 bit version

microsoft secuirty essential for antivirus security

laptop hangs while it enter windows splash screen everytime

---------------------------------------------------

Since i computer was very slow so i changed the selective startup to normal startup using msconfig. (got msconfig information through internet for '''slower laptop to fast performance''')

error1

after continues times reboot it shows blue screen window with error message

----------------------------------------------------

after repeated trials it opened 2 times and i tried to change the normal startup to selective but it was already in selective mode.

problem1 : it hanged every now and then in logon to windows explorer.

-------------------

but managed to uninstall the big size programs, update, disk cleanup but useless

-------------------

(step1. i updated the windows for any security issues)

(step2 . i uninstalled the programs bigger sizes but in that a program was unable to uninstall)

step 3. i removed the temp memory, (temp, %temp%, prefetch, recent) but in vain

Again when it restarted it hanged in windows splash up screen

I got this problem for 2 days (no login , hang in boot window splash upscreen for more than 30 minutes)

when i tried to change the startup setting through msconfig from''''selective startup '''' to '''' normal startup'''''

....it asked to restart the laptop and save setting.

.... i pressed ok.

... after then i had problem of booting at windows startup splash screen (from 26 may 2014 onwards had this problem)

how rescue my laptop i had important software and driver which i now dont have inside and it is dual operating system . i had linux working condition.

i want to find a solution to not login winlows 7 os

#4 computerfunguy

computerfunguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2014 - 08:28 PM

i cnt even get to the desktop.  It gets stuck on the hp startup logo?  when i press f11 to try and get to the recovery menu, it is unresponsive as well.   ?

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,710 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2014 - 08:37 PM

You are going to have to get a hold of a Windows 8 install disk or create a repair disk on another Windows 8 computer.

http://www.winhelp.us/repair-your-computer-in-windows-8.html

http://www.winhelp.us/create-a-recovery-drive-in-windows-8.html

Edit: I would disable SecureBoot and FastBoot in BIOS before booting the Disk. You may even have to enable Legacy Mode instead of UEFI mode.

Edited by JohnC_21, 27 May 2014 - 08:40 PM.

#6 computerfunguy

computerfunguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2014 - 08:41 PM

i have another laptop running window 8.1.   it is a toshiba though.  were are step by step instructions on how to repair it this way?

#7 RevGAM

RevGAM

• Members
  • 701 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:36 PM

Posted 27 May 2014 - 08:45 PM

@vinotd@: Please start a new topic in the Windows 7 forum so that technicians can help you without cluttering up this user's topic.

Namaste, Peace & Love,
Glenn

If I have frustrated you, then I must be a student. If I've imparted information or a skill to you, then I must be a teacher. If I've helped you, then I must be a volunteer. If I've touched your life, then I must be happy!
If you had to choose between saving just your family, or saving 10,000 GOOD people (but not your family), what would you choose?

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,710 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2014 - 08:58 PM

I am not sure if the 8.1 repair disk will work with Windows 8. If you can get it to boot, I would try doing a system restore.

When the disk boots, go to Advanced Options and select System Restore.

http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/2855-system-repair-disc-create-windows-8-a.html

If that did not work, I would get a command prompt and type the following commands at the command prompt.

bootrec /fixmbr

bootrec /fixboot

bootrec /rebuildbcd

Edited by JohnC_21, 27 May 2014 - 08:59 PM.

#9 computerfunguy

computerfunguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2014 - 10:11 PM

how do i enter the bios using the f keys?

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,710 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2014 - 11:42 AM

According to HP, you have to tap the Esc key at boot.

http://h10010.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&docname=c01443329

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users