Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Very slow boot time

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 UnrealUndead

UnrealUndead

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:25 AM

Posted 27 May 2014 - 04:42 PM

Greetings folks,

I am having a little problem with my 2 year old laptop. It has a startup/boot time of around 4 minutes. That is a pretty big time for an i7 processor and couple of programs that should make the PC run faster. This week I have een trying to optimise the boot time, but haven't succeed to lower it more then 30s. Once started up, the laptop is smooth and has no problems.

Programs used for faster bootup:

• Rapidboot (Lenovo)
  • Superfetch/Readyboot (Windows)
  • Express cache (Condusiv)

Express cache is using an 16gig SSD and working correctly (eccmd.exe -info). Rapidboot came with the laptop preinstalled and enabled.

Ways tried to speed up the boot time:

• Lowerd the programs that startup automatically
  • Lowerd the services that startup automatically
  • Checked event viewer for potential repeating errors (non found)
  • Updated all drivers
  • Checked for viruses with Avast
  • Checked for malware with Malwarebytes
  • Checked for rootkits with Anti-Rootking from Malwarebytes
  • Logged the bootup processes via process monitor

After checking the log of the process monitor, I see that there isn't a process thats eating my recources. There is an unusual amount of events in my boot: 4 million (normal is 1 million).The top consuming programs are Avast, svchost and Skype (Skype is NOT set to startup automatically). Although they are the top consumers, none of them uses more then 5% of my CPU at a time.

Does anyone have an idea how such a slow boot time is possible? Do you have any potential soloutions or ideas I haven't tried?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:25 AM

Posted 27 May 2014 - 04:53 PM

Do you have any network mapped drives?  If you do, and the server they reside on isn't online and connected, that could cause this kind of delay.  One other thing you could check would be the system event log.  It's very cryptic, but sometimes you can see a number of entries flagged "Error" that will give you a clue to what's going on.

`

Good luck.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,092 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:25 AM

Posted 28 May 2014 - 09:43 AM

Well...on one hand, you say that boot time is 4 minutes...on another you say that you lowered 30 seconds.

In any case...the items that you should be focusing on are the ones that are startups.  The more unnecessary startups you have, the longer the boot process is.

You can use a tool like AutoRuns for Windows to manage such.  Typical startup items will be reflected in the Logon tab.

Go to above website...click Run Autoruns from Live.Sysinternals.com button on right side.  Click Run, click Run.  Click Logon tab.  You see your startup items.

Of the items displayed...the only ones vital are the ones by/for Microsoft...your installed AV program...and possibly something like SUPERAntiSpyware.  Nothing else on that tab really needs to be running at boot.  Uncheck the unneeded items and restart the system to see if there is a difference.  No need to save anything, unchecking the items removes them from being startup entries, they will run when needed, just like every other program/process.

Louis

#4 UnrealUndead

UnrealUndead
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:25 AM

Posted 28 May 2014 - 01:30 PM

I solved the problem.

As "wpgwpg" suggested me, the delay could come from something network related and to check the system event log. I do not have network mapped drives, but I saw periodical warnings in the system log. These warnings were about the Dhcp-client and were repeated 5 times for different adresses. What I did, is disabled all the unused network adapters (5 of them). After a restart, the laptop booted up in 60 seconds instead of 210. Very mindblowing fix...

Edited by UnrealUndead, 28 May 2014 - 01:33 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users