Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell E520, Looking at this. What do you think?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Tim Of Florida

Tim Of Florida

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:24 PM

Posted 27 May 2014 - 03:51 PM

I've had this Dell for about 9 years now and think the HDD is dying. I was looking to upgrade to W8 now that XP is no longer supported. Can you look at this and give me some feedback on price compared to value? Not a fan of Gateway but am a fan of a deal........

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=8701307&Sku=GTW-102134015

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Mistersprinkles

Mistersprinkles

• Banned
  • 118 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2014 - 04:01 PM

Have you ever experienced an E1 processor

It is below low end. It is rock bottom end. The performance is terrible. thats not a deal at all. youre getting exactly the garbage you pay for.

#3 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:24 AM

Posted 28 May 2014 - 01:06 AM

Hi Tim, what sort of use do you have in mind in terms of the programs you will be using?

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#4 Mistersprinkles

Mistersprinkles

• Banned
  • 118 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2014 - 03:22 PM

Hi Tim, what sort of use do you have in mind in terms of the programs you will be using?

Even for email, youtube, word, powerpoint, excel, the E1 is a joke. I urge any and all people to avoid it at all costs. An A4 is the minimum CPU I would recommend anybody get into, and even then, it's pokey. An A8 or A10 is a much better buy IMO. Worth the (not very much) extra money.

#5 Bill1821

Bill1821

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2014 - 08:17 PM

Wow e520 I think that is what I got my daughter many many years ago- hers is still in service but mainly for pictures and internet- family uses laptop mostly. Anyway the above computer is a brick- slower than the e520

Money is the question- this one is more than twice at $428 but many times the computer- it has a real good processor, intel i5-3330 - lotsa ram, 8gb and huge 1tb Hard drive. this is really good for $428--

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=8229086&CatId=2628

another one or 2 with i5 and a lenovo desktop with an i7-860m for $479.

#6 Mistersprinkles

Mistersprinkles

• Banned
  • 118 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2014 - 12:12 PM

If you're buying an off the shelf tower, spend at least 450 on it or you're going to end up with a piece of junk. Minimum A4 on the AMD side or i3 on the Intel side, and preferably A8 (A10 is better) on the AMD side and i5 on the Intel side. If you don't get an APU on the AMD side, at least a 41XX CPU but ideally a 63XX CPU. On the Intel side make sure the cpu starts with a 4XXX or at least a 3xxx. Anything else will be quite old. 4XXX is Haswell and 3XXX is Ivybridge. Haswell has a lot of power saving features.

Edited by Mistersprinkles, 29 May 2014 - 12:14 PM.

#7 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2014 - 11:50 AM

To expand on what has been said earlier, the AMD APU's are a good value though their x86 performance is a little weak.  However, they have excellent graphics performance for an integrated part.

3939.png

#8 Mistersprinkles

Mistersprinkles

• Banned
  • 118 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2014 - 04:25 PM

To expand on what has been said earlier, the AMD APU's are a good value though their x86 performance is a little weak.  However, they have excellent graphics performance for an integrated part.

They're a good value at A4 and above, and an expensive brick/paperweight below it. The E APUs are so crappy that they should not exist. Just like Intel's Atom. Garbage. Absolute garbage. We're talking Pentium 4 and below levels of performance here. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users