Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 jcta79

jcta79

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:08 AM

Posted 27 May 2014 - 03:13 PM

Greetings everyone,

I am fixing an acer aspire D257 netbook. The lady is having problems because her netbook would freeze up. When I tried to run a HD test it would freeze. So I removed the HD and placed it inside a docking station and it kept asking me to format it. I put the HD back in the netbook and saved the customer's data. I then put HD back in docking station and formatted the drive. I was then able to to get into a blank hd. I then rean a chkdsk /r and it came out clean. I tried to reload windows 7 starter and now it keeps asking me for mass storage drivers. I looked them up and tried to install them but couldn't. I had another 2.5" HDD laying around and used it to see if its the installation CD or not. This HD didn't ask for the mass storage drivers. I'm like 99% sure its the HDD but just have that nagging thought I may be wrong. From my description is it most likely the HD is bad and new to purchase a new one?  Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,818 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:08 AM

Posted 27 May 2014 - 03:28 PM

There's no need to guess...run an appropriate hard drive diagnostic to verify/refute any suspicions re the functional status.  Use the long test.

Guide, SeaTools For DOS - http://www.seagate.com/support/seatools/SeaToolsDOSguide.pdf

SeaTools for DOS Download - http://www.seagate.com/support/internal-hard-drives/consumer-electronics/ld25-series/seatools-dos-maste

Louis

#3 jcta79

jcta79
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2014 - 03:30 PM

Hamluis,

thanks for the response. I did run a long test of sea tools. When I get out of class I will rerun the test to make sure.  Thanks

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,818 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:08 AM

Posted 27 May 2014 - 03:50 PM

Let us know how it goes :).

Louis

#5 jcta79

jcta79
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2014 - 08:16 PM

I did run the seagate long test and it passed. but I still can't install windows. It keeps saying No drives were found. Click Load Driver to provide a mass storage driver for installation. 

#6 Frozwire

Frozwire

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2014 - 11:30 PM

You might have set the SATA in AHCI mode in BIOS in that case you need to download the specific SATA AHCI drivers for that netbook here: http://us.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/drivers and save it to a flash drive before you proceed on your Windows OS installation.

"Encryption...is a powerful defensive weapon for free people. It offers a technical guarantee of privacy, regardless of who is running the government... It's hard to think of a more powerful, less dangerous tool for liberty...” - Esther Dyson

#7 jcta79

jcta79
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2014 - 07:49 PM

This is what I have done so far. I updated the BIOS on the Acer Aspire 257 to the lasted driver. I long formatted the drive then I ran a checkdisk on it. When I put it on a docking station my laptop can read it. Now when I put it the aspire and tried to install windows its doesn't find the drivers. I also grabbed another hd laying around, installed windows on it, made an image of it and put it on my external hd. I then went into windows repair and tried to perform a system image backup and it keeps telling me it can't find the drive. I think I just need to purchase a new HD and be done with it.  frustrated with it because I want to fix it and not just buy another hd which I feel I quit grrrrrrrr

@Frozwire I downloaded the chipset, ahci drivers and still nothing. I put them on a flash drive, and went to install 7 and tried to install the drivers that way and still nothing.

Edited by jcta79, 29 May 2014 - 07:52 PM.

#8 Frozwire

Frozwire

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2014 - 08:07 PM

Was the hard drive detected in the laptop's BIOS? Also have you tried to set SATA mode to IDE or Legacy?

"Encryption...is a powerful defensive weapon for free people. It offers a technical guarantee of privacy, regardless of who is running the government... It's hard to think of a more powerful, less dangerous tool for liberty...” - Esther Dyson

#9 jcta79

jcta79
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2014 - 08:32 PM

Well I did change the sata mode to ide and still nothing. but I think that was before up updated the bios. I will try that again. I am finishing the installation and windows updates on the other hd and then do create another image and transfter that image to the original hd to see if it'll take it with all the drivers installed. thanks

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,596 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2014 - 06:55 PM

Where did you get the AHCI driver? I looked on Acers website for the AOD257 and the AHCI driver was a 10MB install from a zip file. AHCI_Intel_10.1.0.1008_W7x86_A.zip This will not work for installing the AHCI drivers when Windows 7 asks to load drivers during the install. There are a few files that need to be copied to a USB flash drive and includes the Textsetup.oem file.

You want the Intel RST AHCI/RAID Driver v10.1.0.1008 WHQL

I don't know if you have 32bit or 64bit but you can download the files from here

Extract the files (6) to a USB flash drive and attach it to the computer and select Load Drivers.

#11 jcta79

jcta79
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2014 - 10:46 AM

@JohncC_21 Well I went to the site and downloaded the driver Intel RST AHCI/RAID Drivers & Software Set v10.1.0.1008 WHQL.

I went to install win 7 starter and no go. I even went back to bios and double checked if it detected HD which it did. So I changed to IDE to see if it made a difference and nothing

It looks like I need to just purchase a new HD because nothing seems to be working. I even did all the updates and drivers for that other HD and made an image to put on WD HD and nothing. 

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,596 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2014 - 10:49 AM

Sorry it didn't work out for you. I definetly thought those drivers would work on your laptop.

#13 jcta79

jcta79
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2014 - 10:55 AM

@JohnC_21 all good I appreciate the help. It just bothers the crap out of me that I can't figure it out. Well I guess I'll just by a new HD.  Thanks

#14 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,596 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2014 - 11:10 AM

Definitely a weird problem. I was going to suggest partitioning and formatting the drive with the bootable version of Partition Wizard (based on linux) if the drive was clean being that Windows 7 might not detect a clean drive but would a drive that was partitioned and formatted. But, I assume the drive is already partitioned and formatted NTFS.

Edited by JohnC_21, 31 May 2014 - 11:13 AM.

#15 jcta79

jcta79
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2014 - 11:15 AM

@JohnC_21 yeah I hooked up the WD HD to my laptop and wiped it cleaned plus performed a long format. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users