Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't change BOOT priority for FORMATTING

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 sinancem3

sinancem3

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:35 AM

Posted 27 May 2014 - 03:11 PM

My PC was giving me errors about my Hard Drive and I was igoring it. It slowly started to get slower and now, Windows 8 is not even booting into the Advanced Settings (or Recovery I dont remember) page. It says it will be booting to the Advanced Settings but then it ends up in an endless black screen.

I have a Windows 8 installation DVD and I wan't to format my PC from the BIOS. I go to the BOOT settings to change the boot device priority but there is only 1 option and I can only select from two thing which are "Windows Boot Manager (PO: Hitachi *a long code here*)" and "Disabled". I want to change this to my DVD tray so I can do a format.

How can I do this?

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,545 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:35 PM

Posted 27 May 2014 - 03:16 PM

System manufacturer and model?

Louis

#3 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:35 PM

Posted 27 May 2014 - 03:38 PM

Most computers produce a message from the BIOS when you first power on saying something like "Press F12" for boot menu.  If you press that key (note: it could be different from F12), you should get a list of devices you can boot from which includes your CD/DVD drive.  Be aware that a lot of PCs being shipped with Windows 8 are using the EUFI system in place of the older BIOS, so that could be what you're seeing.  If that's the case, you'll need to contact your computer's manufacturer for instructions because EUFI is a whole new and different ball game. It's more secure, but to say it's different is putting it mildly!

`

Good luck.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#4 sinancem3

sinancem3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2014 - 04:10 PM

System manufacturer and model?

Samsung - NP350V5C (As stated at the bottom of the PC)

#5 sinancem3

sinancem3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2014 - 04:14 PM

My PC was shipped with Windows 8 and I guess it has the EUFI system. Is there any help I could get from here even though my PC has the EUFI system?

Edited by sinancem3, 27 May 2014 - 04:16 PM.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,207 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2014 - 04:25 PM

In the UEFI BIOS, is there anything like Fastboot listed under boot options?. If there is, disable that. If Secureboot is enabled, disable that also.

After you disable Fastboot and Secureboot, exit BIOS. Reboot and then tap your F10 key at boot when you see the splash screen. Does it give a boot order menu?

Edited by JohnC_21, 27 May 2014 - 04:26 PM.

#7 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2014 - 04:32 PM

I'd think your best bet would be to restore to factory settings using the discs that came with your computer or that you created in accordance with your user guide.  If you have any data you haven't backed up that you don't want to lose, you could boot from a live disc (like Ubuntu or Mint Linux) and copy it to a flash drive first.  By restoring to factory settings, you eliminate the tricky process of getting the right drivers and helper apps.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#8 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,577 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:35 PM

Posted 27 May 2014 - 04:35 PM

I'd think your best bet would be to restore to factory settings using the discs that came with your computer...

I think that is what the OP is trying to achieve but cannot boot from the disc.

The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#9 jcta79

jcta79

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:35 PM

Posted 29 May 2014 - 08:46 PM

My experience is go into BIOS and turn on legacy mode on and then you will be able to detect other devices where you can boot from

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users