Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"Computer" window blank, windows explorer stops working

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 MRSW123

MRSW123

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:46 AM

Posted 27 May 2014 - 02:52 PM

Hello

When I open the "computer" folder in Vista, it is blank and Windows Explorer stops working.  I don't know how to fix it.  In every other respect my computer is working fine.

Initially, I had trouble transfering files from my computer to my external hard drive.  The progress bar would stop at some point and I would finally have to cancel, with some wait time.  This went on for some time, but I was busy and let it pass.

At first the "Computer" folder was not completely blank.  It had my devices but if I would even so much as left click on them once Windows Explorer would stop working and not come back.  At this time, it also took 40 minutes for my computer to reboot.  (I replaced my user profiles as a result of this because I had an issue in the past, but it did not solve th e problem this time.)  It appeared the computer would not properly shut down, but upon leaving it, it did shut down after about 20 minutes.  After this 20 minute shut down the computer boots and shuts down normally, functions otherwise normally, but the "Computer" folder is completely blank (all white), and when it is accessed windows explorer stops working, but comes back.

I have checked the device manager and my devices are there and supposedly working properly with proper drivers, etc.

I have tried searching the internet to solve my problem and have run "sfc scannow" already.

I have my suspicions that it was my cloud storage software that may have thrown the wrench in the machine.  A while back I had my external hard drive covered for backup, and it is down this road that I stopped being able to transfer files over, and the cloud storage software was not working properly the day the issues occured.  It would say that the backup was complete after seconds, which was just not possible.  I uninstalled the software, but the damage is done and I don't know how to fix it.  I don't know if this was the reason problems arose, but I am suspicious and think I will look elsewhere for cloud storage in the future.

Any help in fixing this would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tobyvardonb

tobyvardonb

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:46 PM

Posted 08 June 2014 - 06:46 AM

Did you run an antivirus before this happened?

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,710 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:46 AM

Posted 08 June 2014 - 09:34 AM

Did the sfc find any files it could not repair?

Try doing a System Restore, choose the earliest restore point you have.

If this does not resolve the issue please do the following.  

Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.  When  FileHippo opens, click on Download latest version in the upper right pane.

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

speccy9_zps2d9cdedc.png

Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

speccy7_zpsfa02105f.png

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

speccy3_zps1791b093.png

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.  When  FileHippo opens, click on Download latest version in the upper right pane.

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

speccy9_zps2d9cdedc.png

Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

speccy7_zpsfa02105f.png

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

speccy3_zps1791b093.png

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users