Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Automatic Shutdown

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 krillanr

krillanr

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:41 PM

Posted 25 May 2006 - 02:30 AM

I have a Pro Series Proteva computer thats about 8 years old and the problem i'm having is that it starts to make noise that sounds like it should but about 3 times louder, then at some point the monitor turns off like the power saver does then 2 seconds later the computer turns off as if the power went out. If anyone know's of a possible cause then please help me. :thumbsup:

Edited by krillanr, 25 May 2006 - 02:31 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:41 PM

Posted 25 May 2006 - 04:06 PM

Take the cover off the computer and check to see if any of the fans are loose. This includes the CPU Fan make sure that it is not loose but that it is still on the processor, if you decide to remove the fan and heat sink make sure you do not clean off the white silicone gooey stuff it is there for heat transfer

#3 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2006 - 08:11 PM

If you take off the fan on the processor you must clean off the old, dry paste on both the processor and the heat sink and replace the thermal paste.

If you do not your processor will be destroyed as soon as you turn the computer on.

#4 krillanr

krillanr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2006 - 11:04 AM

I've checked the fans already, their fine.

#5 pascor22234

pascor22234

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2006 - 02:45 PM

This problem can be caused either by a heat problem or a failing power supply. Both can be checked using SensorsView Pro.

Allowable voltage ranges:

+3.3: 3.135V to 3.465v
+5: 4.75V to 5.25V
+12: 11.4V to 12.6V

The processor temperature should stay below 60C.

#6 krillanr

krillanr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2008 - 04:47 PM

Thank you by the way.

#7 extremeboy

extremeboy

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,975 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2008 - 06:24 PM

This problem can be caused either by a heat problem or a failing power supply. Both can be checked using SensorsView Pro.

Allowable voltage ranges:

+3.3: 3.135V to 3.465v
+5: 4.75V to 5.25V
+12: 11.4V to 12.6V

The processor temperature should stay below 60C.

You should also check if any part of the computer is damaged or burned, that sometimes causes computers to shutdown. I had a very old computer and one day it automatically shut down and i couldn't turn it on again. When i took off the cover of the computer i found out that RAM and a bit of the motherboard was burned. Therefore I needed a new computer.
Note: Please do not PM me asking for help, instead please post it in the correct forum requesting for help. Help requests via the PM system will be ignored.

If I'm helping you and I don't reply within 48 hours please feel free to send me a PM.

The help you receive here is always free but if you wish to show your appreciation, you may wish to Posted Image.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users