Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ps3 Pre-owned Games Banned!

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:29 AM

Posted 25 May 2006 - 01:48 AM

Sony makes moves to stamp out lucrative second-hand market
Words: Matt Cundy

Wednesday 24 May 2006
High street games shops have been told by Sony that there will be no PS3 pre-owned sections in their stores as it will be illegal for customers to sell any next-gen PlayStation games that they've bought, retail sources have revealed to GamesRadar.

It seems that Sony is planning to adopt a licensing system that will mean gamers won't own the PS3 titles that they've paid money for. Instead, they will only be purchasing the licence to play the game and that the software itself will still be Sony property - meaning that the disc won't be the customer's to sell.

Games Radar - Sony makes moves to stamp out lucrative second-hand market
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Whisperer

Whisperer

• Members
  • 405 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:29 AM

Posted 25 May 2006 - 02:28 AM

Sony often stabs itself in the foot, this looks like another one of those occasions!

#3 bugsbegone

bugsbegone

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:29 PM

Posted 25 May 2006 - 09:08 AM

This is just a rumor. I've heard retailers say they think it's bologna. Even Sony isn't stupid enough to do this, because who wants to spend $60 on a game and then be forced to keep it the rest of their life, even if it's crappy? I think they were going to try this with the PS2 as well but that didn't happen.

#4 Wizdabest

Wizdabest

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:29 PM

Posted 25 May 2006 - 11:27 AM

Yea come on, this has already been done before. Right now, that would hurt so much more than it would (at all) benefit.

To me, though they have the patent on that, it just seems that many people are brining it up just to get people not to want to get a PS3.

Also, haven't you read the little updated portion of that which quotes a comment from Sony about this issue?

#5 Heretic Monkey

Heretic Monkey

• Members
  • 1,122 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2006 - 03:31 PM

This story again? This was already "big news" a while ago, and got the hell blasted out of it on just about every gaming forum i visit. It's already been established that Game Radar is an extremely uninformed and biased source.

First they came up short with the $499 PS3 not supporting wireless controller.

Second they came up with that the $499 PS3 HDD can't be upgraded.

Now we got this.

My advice: don't trust any of the crap that spews out of Game radar's domain..

Edited by Heretic Monkey, 25 May 2006 - 03:32 PM.

#6 Wizdabest

Wizdabest

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2006 - 09:26 PM

Amen to that.

God, this is so stupid now. One stupid news post and now the entire internet is crawling around with a new (well.. 'revived') reason to bash Sony, though its bogus. Then again, watching the fanboy comments are kind of fun though.

#7 rms4evr

rms4evr

• Members
  • 812 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2006 - 09:55 PM

I agree with you guys. Going through with this would be a public relations disaster; Sony isn't that stupid (though some claim otherwise :thumbsup: ).

Then again, watching the fanboy comments are kind of fun though.

LOL!!!! I LOVE reading fanboy/fangirl rants!!!! :flowers:

#8 Wizdabest

Wizdabest

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2006 - 10:04 PM

its the coolest thing in the world. I tell you, school passes really fast by going to google news and searching for PS3 things and reading some of the comments people write. Sometimes I have to literally laugh out loud.

#9 Heretic Monkey

Heretic Monkey

• Members
  • 1,122 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2006 - 10:38 PM

http://gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=17283

Ba-zing. This site is a pretty reputable place to get gaming news..... as opposed to the "gamesradar.com" that's gotten almost EVERY story regarding the Ps3 incorrect...

#10 Wizdabest

Wizdabest

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2006 - 07:13 AM

Tah-Dah! Stupid false news posts trying to simply bring bad anti-sony news.

awsome, only four more posts to go.

#11 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2006 - 07:19 AM

Goood work guys!

I thought it was not believable in the first place.
Only the license is purchased, not the software???
Posted Image

#12 Heretic Monkey

Heretic Monkey

• Members
  • 1,122 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2006 - 11:17 AM

I think the main source for this "breaking news" is that companies are looking forward to digital distribution. If anyone deals with Steam or Xbox live arcade, you know what's going on.

Instead of going to the store and buying the games, you have to pay for it and download it online. This means that you don't have a disc, you can't let friends borrow it, you can't sell it to a used game store, and you can't pick it up for cheap after a few people have had their hands on it.

I think we're still a while away from the completely digital distrubtion stage, though...... I hope, anyway....

#13 Wizdabest

Wizdabest

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2006 - 09:19 PM

Yea, I relate it with Steam and I understand how it works but unless all the hard drives are detachable/able to connect to different PS3's so you can play your games at friends' houses and stuff, then having a system like that (in my opinion) would be stupid and would screw stuff up. However, I think where STEAM is way above what the rumour is that how its all done on the internet, all you have to do is log in on your user name on any computer and you can play any steam game (granted that that computer has all the game information downloaded). I don't think steam is that bad of a system, but I don't think you can compare how it would happen with a console and a PC just yet.

Though it would be interesting to see what would happen with gamestop once a total conversion is made, I mean, no used games? They couldn't buy your used games for 10 bucks and then resell them for 30-40 bucks.

#14 splackavellie

splackavellie

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2006 - 07:11 PM

doesnt PC software operate similar to this? i mean i buy MS Office and i cant just install it and turn around and sell it again.

#15 Twistshifter2

Twistshifter2

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2006 - 11:56 AM

doesnt PC software operate similar to this? i mean i buy MS Office and i cant just install it and turn around and sell it again.

Thats correct, you cant sell software like microsoft, etc etc, and not even supposed to put it on more than one machine, which i am guilty of but when ever you read the agreement it says that its only going to be put
on one machine blah blah.... but hardly anyone every reads that lol
What It Do!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users