Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Uninstalled Broadcom network card by mistake

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 ccozic

ccozic

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:01 PM

Posted 27 May 2014 - 12:03 PM

From my Desktop PC control panel I was uninstalling some unused programs a couple of days ago, ones that were listed as Rarely Used.

One such program was Broadcom, last used in 2010 according to the list. So I uninstalled it not realizing that Broadcom is my network card (440x 10/100 integrated controller). By doing this I lost internet connectivity (I have a wired connection).

I went to Broadcom.com and downloaded drivers for their WindowsXP/32 network card to my flash drive (440x was not listed so I selected BCM5701,i think that was the only one listed for XP). I transferred these zip files to my PC, then called ATT to have them walk me thru reinstallation).

We went thru setup wizard, but the only result was a Code 10, and we could not restore connectivity. The tech advised me to purchase a wireless adapter to restore connectivity. I work from home and can connect to internet via my netbook, but it is more convenient for me to use my Desktop PC.

I then did a system restore to May 20 but that did not restore connectivity either.

Can someone please offer advice on a fix. I could get the wireless adapter as a last resort, but I would rather use what I had, which was the wired connection. Do I need to contact Broadcom to find out the correct drivers, or is their some other location online to get the right files?

Thank you in advance for any help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,853 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:01 PM

Posted 27 May 2014 - 12:21 PM

Is this an OEM computer? If it is, what is the make and mode?

If not, open Device Manager. There should be a yellow exclamation mark next you your Network Adapters. Right click the device, select Properties. In the Details tab, select Hardware ID's in the drop down box. Copy and Paste the first line of code into your next post.

I will headed out for a bit but will return in about an hour or less.

#3 ccozic

ccozic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2014 - 12:36 PM

It is a Dell desktop, model C470AF160C according to my System Properties. Its running Win XP PRO, Version 2002, SP3

The first line of code reads: PCI\VEN_14E4&DEV_170C&SUBSYS_01E51028&REV_02

There are three more lines of code beneath that....each one is shorter versions of the first line.

Will wait for your reply, thanks!

Edited by ccozic, 27 May 2014 - 12:42 PM.

#4 old rocker

old rocker

• Members
  • 504 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2014 - 12:42 PM

Go to http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/19/driverdetails?driverid=6DYM2 You also have an option for entering your system service tag and browse through all the drivers available for your computer. I have also included a link to Broadcom's page for your chip. http://www.broadcom.com/support/ethernet_nic/4401.php

#5 ccozic

ccozic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2014 - 01:09 PM

Sorry, I'm not that tech-literate.....so I have to transfer both of those files to my desktop PC?.....what does each do?

Thanks for your help!

#6 old rocker

old rocker

• Members
  • 504 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2014 - 01:32 PM

The files are the driver packages for your particular network chip. The file from dell is an executable. Save it to your dell desktop and 2x click to install. Try that one first and post back. The file from Broadcom is a little more complicated.

#7 ccozic

ccozic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2014 - 01:43 PM

Old Rocker, you are AWESOME....the Dell file worked and I'm back online!

I'm gonna be playing some old rock on my system today in your honor.

CHEERS!

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,853 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2014 - 01:44 PM

I am glad Old Rocker got your problem sorted out for you while I was away.

#9 old rocker

old rocker

• Members
  • 504 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2014 - 02:52 PM

Glad it worked out for you

All the Best!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users