Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 Professional (64-bit) backup error 0x80070015

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Louisaz

Louisaz

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:25 PM

Posted 27 May 2014 - 09:49 AM

I have a desktop PC (Intel quad-core I5) running MS 7 Professional 64-bit.  It runs perhaps 20 programs perfectly.  No issues.

I would prefer to use the Windows provided disk image and backup program to save images and files to my external 1TB HD.  I've never had any luck -- even after formatting the external HD.  The image backup almost completes and then tells me that the backup FAILED and the error message says that the backup medium (the HD that works perfectly) was "not ready."  The error message includes 0x80070015.

I know that this is a TYPICAL problem with Windows 7 Professional -- and likely other MS operating systems.

What is the simple fix -- if any? 

I've read several rather complex "fixes" to this problem.  It's interesting that MS has not corrected this obvious bug.

Thanks,

Louis

PS:  I use SyncToy 2.1 (64-bit), an MS program, to backup files to my internal HD and my external HD.  That elegant program works perfectly -- but it will not create a HD image.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,105 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:25 PM

Posted 27 May 2014 - 12:33 PM

IMO...the "simple fix" would be to use any one of numerous backup programs available, rather than bothering with the Win 7 backup entree.

I've never once thought about even testing the Win 7 backup program...because I had found a backup process which I liked long before I ever installed Win 7 and it's as effective with Win 7 as it was before.

In defense of Microsoft...they earn their cash by selling licenses for Windows, not by perfecting a backup alternative that really is just a "throw-in" in Win 7.  Most, if not all, relied on something else prior to that time...no reason to change something that works just because MS decides to throw its entry into the market.

Louis

#3 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:25 PM

Posted 27 May 2014 - 01:22 PM

I suggest you get away from the Windows backup program and get yourself a good commercial backup program. I've seen forums fraught with problem reports for the Windows one. I know I was very unimpressed when I tried it. Two I'm familiar with and like are Easeus Todo Backup Free, and Memeo which has a 30 day free trial and you can buy it for $29.99.
  The March 2012 issue of PC World was very high on the FREE program from Easeus and so is CNET.  In my experience with a variety of configurations I have to say I'm very impressed.  Like Ghost (which unfortunately is no longer on the market) it will back up to a networked drive, and it will create a boot CD for when your PC won't boot.  See CNET's review of it at
-
 CNET has a lot of backup program reviews at 

Some of these are free (last time I checked there were over 300), some have free trials (over 1000), and some are purchase only (over 200).
-
External hard drives are best for backup. You can get a 500 GB one for around $50 and a 1 TB one for around $60. You can also buy a 32 GB flash drive for under $20.  It's the best insurance you can ever buy!

-
I hope this helps.  Good luck

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#4 Louisaz

Louisaz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:25 PM

Posted 27 May 2014 - 05:00 PM

Thanks for both replies.  I am using (Microsoft) Synctoy 2.1 (x64), which I've used for years.  It's great.  I've tried most of the others (EaseUS Todo Backup Free, etc.). 

I've given up on the Windows 7 backup program.  There is simply NO excuse for MS to not include a simple drive image program that works.  The one they have doesn't.  Remarkably, another section of Microsoft came up with Synctoy which does work and I can highly recommend.  Unfortunately, as I mentioned, you cannot use it to clone a HD.

Louis

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,105 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:25 PM

Posted 28 May 2014 - 08:21 AM

(I feel like I'm addressing myself :).

Well...there are a ton of programs out there that do clone hard drives :)...and I suggest that you forget about MS backup alternatives and do a little research and find a cloning program that you like and which does what you want easily and reliabley.  EaseUS and Macrium Reflect are the two developers I am familiar with but they are only two out of many available.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users