Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Portable air conditioning units?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 hbyton

hbyton

• Members
  • 196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:30 PM

Posted 27 May 2014 - 09:12 AM

Hello everybody,

I was just wondering if anybody reading this has ever owned or used a portable air conditioning unit? The reason why I am asking is because my bedroom gets so hot in the summer especially with my PC running in the background.

The unit I was looking at was the "ECOAIR ECO12P" £390

http://www.amazon.co.uk/12000-BTU-Portable-Conditioning-Unit/dp/B00ITS6MSO/ref=pd_sim_sbs_kh_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=0DEFB65P9BW3C8DZ2SDS

http://www.ecoair.org/eco12p.html

Would this unit be any good?

Note to mod- I hope this post is okay as its not asking for technical support, if it is somehow not relevant then I am sorry

Edited by hbyton, 27 May 2014 - 09:15 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,450 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:30 AM

Posted 27 May 2014 - 09:49 AM

As far as portable air conditioners go, there are a couple of things that you have to be aware of. If you look at the last picture on the page you will see a large vent pipe to vent out the hot air. You will have to put this through a window. They should come with an adapter that is placed under the window and lets the pipe vent outdoors. You will also have to watch the catch bucket that will fill with water and has to be emptied every so often depending on the humidity. Hope this helps.

Edit: I am not sure of the electrical requirements. It may be required to operate on a single electrical line. You can try downloading the installation manual on the manufacturers site if available.

Edited by JohnC_21, 27 May 2014 - 09:53 AM.

#3 -Psychopath-

-Psychopath-

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2014 - 04:04 PM

Why wont a fan do the job? For £100, you could buy 10 fans!

#4 hbyton

hbyton
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 196 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2014 - 04:48 PM

That is a good point, my thinking is that fans don't actually cool the room down or reduce the humidity in the air.  Also the room that I am working in at the moment does not have any windows that open but does have a vent that an air conditioner hose would fit through.

Edited by hbyton, 27 May 2014 - 04:50 PM.

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,450 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:30 AM

Posted 27 May 2014 - 04:55 PM

In a high heat, high humidity environment, fans don't really work well. Air conditioning it the only way to go.

#6 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,580 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:30 AM

Posted 27 May 2014 - 06:05 PM

I have one of these. They work great in a small room Like a bedroom, Just watch out you get what you pay for, The cheap ones do not work as well and they can eat electricity like its free.

http://airconditioning.delonghi.com/

#7 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:30 AM

Posted 29 May 2014 - 06:24 AM

I own 2 of them. 1 is in the master bedroom, upstairs, and the other is downstairs. My house is very old and it will cost around $20k or more to put central air in. I like them both. They both work well, both are vented out windows. The one upstairs, even tho it's 12,000 btu can not keep the large bedroom cool during the day in the heat of summer. Largely because the room has south and west facing windows and for the majority of the day the sun beats down on that part of the house.

But I would recommend them to people who don't have central air and don't mind the unit in the middle of the room. (Or at least it feels like it)

Edit;

I've never had to empty the tray of water. The heat from the coils does a good job of evaporating the water.. :blink:

Edited by Wildabeast, 29 May 2014 - 06:26 AM.

"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#8 hbyton

hbyton
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 196 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2014 - 11:46 AM

Hello, what brand is your 12000btu air con?

#9 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:30 AM

Posted 30 May 2014 - 06:33 AM

Hello, what brand is your 12000btu air con?

It's a Soleus, it also heats if I want it too. But no reason for that upstairs..

"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#10 fireeeee91

fireeeee91

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:30 PM

Posted 11 June 2014 - 01:29 AM

I badly need one of those now... it's a bit expensive, i guess i'll find a cheaper version

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users