Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Getting rid of wallpaper

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Chris4835

Chris4835

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:30 PM

Posted 27 May 2014 - 08:43 AM

How can I modify or get rid of a picture that appeared on my computer as wallpaper? I was downloading some xrated pictures from a Website and as I copied and pasted one of them to my desktop, intending to move it later to the appropriate folder, it automatically set itself up as the wallpaper. Now I personally love it. But my girlfriend would probably not.

I know I can probably select a different picture from the wallpaper list. But it would be still on the list. She might run across it there.and I'd be still in trouble with her.Actually some of my other pictures from my pictures folder are also on that list. and how and why they got there I have no clue. Any ideas? Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,398 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:30 AM

Posted 27 May 2014 - 09:21 AM

You can try doing a search for file extensions such as .jpg or .bmp and deleting the images you recognize as the ones you want to remove.

You may have another problem which is some type of malware. Have you scanned for malware and if so what programs did you use?

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2014 - 12:43 PM

For the time being, change the wallpaper to something else, if it allows you to. Otherwise, buddy215's suggestions are what I recommend to do, MBAM is great for malware cleaning & free. So is the free ESET Online Scanner.

http://www.eset.com/us/online-scanner/

It's designed to work with IE, but can be used with other browsers (best option), A small file will be downloaded, open it & install, be sure to select to scan options, Remove found threats, Scan archives & under Advanced, select both options to scan for potentially unwanted & unsafe applications. This scan may take several hours to perform, depending on drive size & computer speed.

After scan, it's OK to leave it there for future use, as it doesn't use any resources unless an active scan is taking place.

However if ESET NOD32 or Smart Security is installed, perform an in depth scan with it instead.

If scanning with MBAM, after install, it's it's not already there, perform a Threat Scan (there will be a reminder to Fix This Issue). You'll be offered a 14 day trial for the Pro version, it's OK & recommended to allow for that option. Once the trial is over, it becomes a Free scanner & will need to be manually updated before scans.

Keep us informed of progress, if these simple tools won't clean things up, you may need to post in the "Am I Infected" section of the forum.

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#4 Chris4835

Chris4835
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2014 - 09:15 AM

Thank you very much BC Adviser for your quick reply. I didn't see it before because I was waiting for an email from Bleeping computer. Maybe they continued sending notifications every time a reply is posted.

Anyway I followed your advice and scanned the commuter with ESET. It found nothing. Then I searched for all pictures on my computer. But it did not find that particular picture, because I had deleted it previously. Hoping that would solve the problem. After rebooting it still shows up as the Wall Paper.

After going through the Wallpaper list I noticed there  were quite a few pictures on the list that were in my pictures folder. So I deleted all of them. now I only have the XP sample pictures in My pix folder. And as one would expect, they are no longer on the Wall paper list. Only the one picture I wanted to remove from the list is still there, plus all the ones that came with XP. This is a real puzzle now.

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:30 PM

Posted 30 May 2014 - 09:47 AM

Look in this location:

C:\Documents and Settings\%user name%\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\wallpaper1.bmp

or

C:\Documents and Settings\%user name%\Application Data\Microsoft\internet explorer\internetexplorer.bmp

or

C:\WINDOWS  Look for any .bmp extension and open that.

If you want to get rid of it, select another image right click and set as background.

Edit: Check this location also

C:\Windows\Web\Wallpaper

Edited by JohnC_21, 30 May 2014 - 09:56 AM.

#6 Chris4835

Chris4835
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2014 - 10:23 AM

Thank you very much JohnC_21. You are the a real expert. First I tried the last option because it seemed to be the simplest. When I got no results I tried the first option. Searching from the RUN command. Somehow I did not get anywhere. Then I went directly to the C:, except in my case it's the D; rive.

I started opening folders in the order you listed them, except after Microsoft there was one more folder called Internet Explorer and the picture was right in there. It was actually the only one in there. I'm so glad I asked for help on Bleeping computer.

#7 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2014 - 10:56 AM

Glad that you finally found the issue & fixed it. There are times when these things can be tricky to find, am also glad that you found BC Forums. 

Now your girlfriend won't be mad at you. 

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#8 nettechindia

nettechindia

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:00 PM

Posted 01 June 2014 - 03:27 AM

If so you could hide that file this would be helpful for you.

#9 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2014 - 02:14 PM

If so you could hide that file this would be helpful for you.

Are you trying to jack up your post count, or what?

Of course, the OP wants to get rid of this, by deleting, rather than hiding. If it's hidden, on the same shared computer, it's possible that it can be found. I believe this is a solved thread, according to the OP.

Seems that you've answered several posts with short one-liners in the last 24 hours.

Cat

Edited by cat1092, 01 June 2014 - 02:15 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users