Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Best micro atx motherboard for under 50 for AMD FX6300 Black Edition

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 louis_theo

louis_theo

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:48 PM

Posted 27 May 2014 - 04:58 AM

I'm building a computer for the first time and I am a little bit stuck on what motherboard to buy for the processor i have chosen. The processor i have chosen is http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B009O7YORK/ref=ox_sc...
and the motherboard needs to be micro atx and under £50.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:48 AM

Posted 27 May 2014 - 05:55 AM

Hi, you have a pretty tight budget for the motherboard although the Asus M5A88L-M/USB3 is the best that i could find in that budget range that will be compatible with the FX6300. The only downside to the motherboard is the chipset itself as it does not have all the nice bells and whistles like SATA3, multiple PCIE slots etc but it will get the job done, plus it has 2x USB 3.0 ports which is a nice touch.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#3 Mistersprinkles

Mistersprinkles

• Banned
  • 118 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:48 PM

Posted 30 May 2014 - 08:11 PM

No.  No vrm heatsink. 4+1 power design. I hope this guy didn't take your advice. 

http://www.amazon.co.uk/M5A97-R2-0-Motherboard-PCI-Express-Flashback/dp/B008V9959O/ref=sr_1_4?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1401498587&sr=1-4&keywords=M5A97

THAT is an acceptable motherboard.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Gigabyte-970A-UD3P-Motherboard-Gigabit-Ethernet/dp/B00F5R9O46/ref=sr_1_1?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1401498644&sr=1-1&keywords=970a+ud3p

As is that.

As you can see it will cost you 13 or so GBP more than you expected to get a decent board. Failure to get a decent board will bite you in the backside with FX cpus.

#4 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2014 - 08:31 PM

Now now, no need to be nasty but as the OP has stated, " needs to be micro atx and under £50" and the motherboard chosen are all ATX hence it does not meet the requirements. Just because a motherboard has 4+1 VRM and does not have a VRM heatsink doesn't mean it is going to fail on you especially if there is no intention of overclocking. It is not a must to have 6+ VRM, as the 4+1 VRM is sufficient at providing the power it needs to run properly hence why Asus has also listed the FX8350 to be compatible. 

Edited by killerx525, 30 May 2014 - 09:27 PM.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#5 Mistersprinkles

Mistersprinkles

• Banned
  • 118 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2014 - 09:43 PM

Now now, no need to be nasty but as the OP has stated, " needs to be micro atx and under £50" and the motherboard chosen are all ATX hence it does not meet the requirements. Just because a motherboard has 4+1 VRM and does not have a VRM heatsink doesn't mean it is going to fail on you especially if there is no intention of overclocking. It is not a must to have 6+ VRM, as the 4+1 VRM is sufficient at providing the power it needs to run properly hence why Asus has also listed the FX8350 to be compatible. 

AFAIK you're an Intel guy, right? So you have no experience with FX chips first hand?

Try running an 8350 on a 4 vrm phase, heatsinkless board and see how long it lasts. And your cpu will throttle in the meantime.

FX is a big pile of confusion. OEM's list cpus as compatible, but they really aren't compatible.

Example, a malossi oil filter is compatible with a Vespa. But it'll ruin your engine over time because it's an inferior grade product.

Another example, a $18 power supply will run your computer, but the horrible ripple current will ruin your components gradually and the PSU will probably drop dead in a couple of months under heavy load.

Just because something is "compatible" with something else, doesn't mean you should combine the two. It takes a little common sense

If the OP uses the board you suggested he'll never be able to overclock. He won't even be able to set his CPU to turbo on all cores at once.

Again, I think you gave bad advice, which I see is prevalent on this forum.

Edited by Mistersprinkles, 30 May 2014 - 09:45 PM.

#6 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2014 - 10:24 PM

AFAIK you're an Intel guy, right? So you have no experience with FX chips first hand?

Try running an 8350 on a 4 vrm phase, heatsinkless board and see how long it lasts. And your cpu will throttle in the meantime.

That's a very big assumption you stating there, and no i'm not a Intel guy or AMD guy. I'd like to quote a article on Overclock.net in regards to this:

AMD Platforms on high TDP (~125W) processor (includes unlocked CPUs):

• Look for a minimum quality 4+1 phase on the board for use with high TDP processor. Higher is better though.
  • Be SURE it is of quality; if so,
    • Preferably low RDS (on) transistors
    • A proper transistor design and proper transistor amperage rating
    • On a brand that is not known for VRM failures.
    • If you are overclocking with a high TDP processor and a 4+1, consider MOSFET/VRM cooling a MUST. Some boards may already have this. Fewer phases will overheat much easier and be more prone to failure.

Remember, TDP rating on all boards is done with processors at stock and with stock cooling. That means your 4+1 phase or even 3+1 phase (on AMD platform) may actually be fine for a more power consuming (i.e. 125W TDP) processor with stock cooling & at stock speed, but deviate any one of these and you're on your own

Source: http://www.overclock.net/a/about-vrms-mosfets-motherboard-safety-with-high-tdp-processors

The throttling generally only occurs once you start overclocking the CPU. The OP has not given any indication if they are going to overclock or not.

From the same article, here's why board with more phases are more expensive:

So a VRM with fewer phases will often (but NOT ALWAYS) be less powerful, since making it more powerful is more expensive.

Edited by killerx525, 31 May 2014 - 12:17 AM.

>Michael 

#7 Mistersprinkles

Mistersprinkles

• Banned
  • 118 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2014 - 06:26 PM

Overclock.net...  That site is nonsense. 

Edited by Mistersprinkles, 31 May 2014 - 06:27 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users