Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Not booting up

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 bobbies

bobbies

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:07 AM

Posted 27 May 2014 - 03:58 AM

I have a Packard bell laptop, that is seven years old. I am running windows XpI haven't used the laptop for. A few months, when I came to switch it on, it booted up but then after a couple of minutes, the screen went black, and it wouldn't start up. When I first started it up there was power going into the laptop as the red. Light was on, but after trying for a second time there was no light coming on. Is it the battery, or maybe the power cable. If it is kaput how would I retrieve, all my data from the hard drive. Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:07 PM

Posted 27 May 2014 - 04:29 AM

At 7 years it has served you pretty well.

Does it do anything at all when you try to start it? (beeps or whirring or anything?) If not, it may just have given up the ghost and died, or the power supply could have died also. Due to the age of the machine it's probably not really be a great idea to repair it.

There are several ways to retrieve your data, and they all involve you opening the laptop and removing the hard drive. Don't drop it, fragile! I'll list a couple of options for you.

• Buy a USB HDD docking station, mount your HDD, and attach it to a machine where you would like to save your data. These can be had for $10-$15 on special
  • Buy a new machine (desktop) and mount the HDD internally, and copy any important data to your new machine.

If you need any help with these options feel free to ask

Cheers

TsVk!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users