Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Same old - info sought :)

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 RevGAM

RevGAM

• Members
  • 701 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:14 PM

Posted 27 May 2014 - 03:08 AM

I would appreciate a variety of answers from BC people, especially those who routinely try out different AV/AM software.  All input is welcome, and a variety from the malware experts is most appreciated!

Here's the short version.  Details to follow. :)
1) What are the top free and paid AV/AM programs?/Where is the most current and up-to-date article on this?
2) If EAM isn't going to work right on my systems (like last time), but it's the top choice, what's the next best?
3) Where is the article that lists BC's sister sites?
4) Is Spybot 2 a superior choice as a supplementary program to my main AV?
5) Is there still a way to get a lifetime licence for MBAM?
6) Would it be better to use a free AV with Sandboxie?

I have two HP laptops:
Pavilion dv2 series, AMD Athlon Neo X2 Dual core L335 CPU 1.6GHz with 2GB RAM using W7 Home Premium SP1;
Mini 210-4000 series, Intel Atom CPU N2800 1.86GHz with 2GB RAM.

I know that on places like BC there are specific articles that have the most up-to-date info on which antivirus/malware programs are considered the best by your team, yet I don't seem to remember where to look for these articles.  I did see an article, which I think Grinler wrote, in the forum for AV stuff, but it seemed to be out of date?  I noticed that Emsisoft's EAM is now being recommended here in certain places (partially because BC is an affiliate of Emsisoft, MBAM and SAS?), but that some articles I read didn't mention it.  I also noticed repeated personal recommendations of Kaspersky and ESET NOD32 by Quietman and others, although these two aren't listed in "official" articles.

Do you happen to have a list of links to the best article revolving around what are currently the best free and paid AV/AM programs?  I currently use Avast! Free but it's 5 days away from expiring and I wanted to look at the latest possibilities.  I noticed that Quietman questions the use of AVG because of it being linked to Limewire, and I have had disappointing results in the past with AVG and Avira, which I saw are still recommended by BC; even Bitdefender didn't catch everything when I used a paid version - nor has Avast!...But that's the world of computer insecurity, right? :)

Of course, EAM's emails always show that their test results are better than everyone else's.  I tested EAM and EOA on both computers and noticed that they caused trouble on both of them (?due to only 2GB RAM and their dual search engine?), and interfered with the USB wifi router I used to use.  Also, both AM and OA had monitoring of software accessing the Internet, so I had to disable the one in AM to avoid having to allow the same program twice (in both AM and OA, I mean).

Given my specs, would I be better off sticking with a free version and using Sandboxie?

I am, as usual, on a shoestring budget.  If you know of someone who regularly engages in testing different AV/AM packages and think they might be able to provide me with the info I seek, please ask them to weigh in.

Also, I seem to recall once having seen a list of BC's sister sites that are recommended and safe.  Can someone share the link?

If it helps, aside from Avast! and Spybot running, I have MBAM free & SAS 2 free - both inactive and used as-needed only to save on system resources.  I have WinPatrol, too, and Panda's USB vaccine (which a virus recently managed to find a way past) running.  I had SpywareBlaster but I seem to have deleted it.  I didn't see much about Spybot v2 - is it good enough to trust as the sidekick of a main AV?

I had planned to get the lifetime membership for MBAM, but when I went to buy it, I discovered they no longer offer it. :(

Thanks to everyone in advance, and sorry for a redundant message!

Namaste, Peace & Love,
Glenn

If I have frustrated you, then I must be a student. If I've imparted information or a skill to you, then I must be a teacher. If I've helped you, then I must be a volunteer. If I've touched your life, then I must be happy!
If you had to choose between saving just your family, or saving 10,000 GOOD people (but not your family), what would you choose?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 RevGAM

RevGAM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 701 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2014 - 12:00 PM

Anyone?  I didn't think my questions were so hard that I'd get no responses after over 100 views in 3 days...:(  Please?

Namaste, Peace & Love,
Glenn

If I have frustrated you, then I must be a student. If I've imparted information or a skill to you, then I must be a teacher. If I've helped you, then I must be a volunteer. If I've touched your life, then I must be happy!
If you had to choose between saving just your family, or saving 10,000 GOOD people (but not your family), what would you choose?

#3 1PW

1PW

• Members
  • 316 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:14 PM

Posted 31 May 2014 - 04:33 AM

1a) What are the top free and paid AV/AM programs?  1b) Where is the most current and up-to-date article on this?

http://www.google.com/trends?q=malwarebytes%2C+adaware%2C+avast%2C+avg%2C+webroot%2C+avira&ctab=0&geo=all&date=ytd&sort=0

Manipulate the URL as you desire...

Do you really want to place your trust in an advertising based magazine/web page article? Really?

2) If EAM isn't going to work right on my systems (like last time), but it's the top choice, what's the next best?

Whose top choice?

3) Where is the article that lists BC's sister sites?

?

4) Is Spybot 2 a superior choice as a supplementary program to my main AV?

No - MBAM2

5) Is there still a way to get a lifetime licence for MBAM?

eBay,  Amazon? They are still out there.

IMHO - generally neither the AV nor Sandboxie would care about the other. But yes...

Edited by 1PW, 31 May 2014 - 04:35 AM.

All viruses are malware but not all malware are viruses and if the malware doesn't self replicate it just isn't a virus.

#4 RevGAM

RevGAM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 701 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2014 - 10:42 PM

Thank you for responding, and welcome to BC!  Sorry the quoting is botched.

1a) What are the top free and paid AV/AM programs?  1b) Where is the most current and up-to-date article on this?

http://www.google.com/trends?q=malwarebytes%2C+adaware%2C+avast%2C+avg%2C+webroot%2C+avira&ctab=0&geo=all&date=ytd&sort=0

Manipulate the URL as you desire...

Do you really want to place your trust in an advertising based magazine/web page article? Really?[/quote]

[/quote]

Did I say "advertising based magazine/web page article"? :)  I was not clear enough - I meant on BC.  Although, articles from other reputable sources (not for-pay reviews in mags) would be fine. :)  Why does the search you created only list those programs?

Whose top choice?

[/quote]

The top choice of real experts on BC, would be fine, especially if that person routinely evaluates AV/AMs.  If someone actually took the time to evaluate all the results from the different credible testing labs and then compile a report, that would be super.

IMHO - generally neither the AV nor Sandboxie would care about the other. But yes...

[/quote]

I don't know if you looked at the detailed info I provided below the summary to answer my questions.

The HP Pavilion is used by my wife, kids and mother, none of whom know much about computers and all of whom have inadvertently introduced malware onto the system at one time or another.  I'm trying to figure out what the best solution would be that would allow them to browse but increase the system's security.  I'm currently testing out Kaspersky IS trial on the Pavilion and ESET NOD32 trial on the Mini but again, I have very little money so I cannot afford paid programs like Deep Freeze or ESET NOD32, as much as I might like to buy them.  I am painfully aware of the fact that free AVs are not ideal.  So, that's why I thought running the Pavilion on a free AV with Sandboxie might be a good idea but now I'm wondering how hard it'll be for my family to do that.  Any thoughts?

Namaste, Peace & Love,
Glenn

#5 1PW

1PW

• Members
  • 316 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2014 - 09:05 AM

Hello RevGAM:

The poor use of the above quotes really lies with me. I accept the blame and I apologize for that.

Why does the search you created only list those programs?

The brand choices were absolutely arbitrary on my part as many members here may not be aware of the Google Trends service for sales.

Yes - comparing Malwarebytes with random AVs is pure folly.

Some would opinion that outstanding PC security can be had, on a budget, through the careful selection of free or economical "best in breed" choices. Please do not fail to include a thoughtfully populated HOSTS file and a prudent HIPS choice. If a much older OS is involved, a well regarded software firewall needs your consideration and individual Limited User Accounts (LUA) are a must.

All viruses are malware but not all malware are viruses and if the malware doesn't self replicate it just isn't a virus.

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:14 PM

Posted 01 June 2014 - 09:06 AM

What are the top free and paid AV/AM programs?/Where is the most current and up-to-date article on this?

There is no single up-to-date article...the security community is in a constant state of change as new infections appear and it takes time for them to be reported, samples collected, analyzed, and tested by anti-virus researchers before they can add a new threat to database definitions.

With that said, there are several reputable labs which test the effectiveness of major anti-virus programs and security suites to include AV-Comparatives.org, Virus Bulletin Comparative Tests, AV-Test.org, NSS Labs Consumer Anti-Malware Products Group Test Report, etc.These kinds of comparative testing results will vary depending on a variety of factors to include but not limited to who conducted the testing, what they were testing for (type of threats, attack vectors, exploits), what versions of anti-virus software was tested, what type of scanning engine was used, and the ability to clean or repair. There are no universally predefined set of standards or criteria for testing which means each test will yield different results. As such, you need to look for detailed information about how the tests were conducted, the procedures used, and data results.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#7 RevGAM

RevGAM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 701 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2014 - 10:35 AM

Some would opinion that outstanding PC security can be had, on a budget, through the careful selection of free or economical "best in breed" choices. Please do not fail to include a thoughtfully populated HOSTS file and a prudent HIPS choice. If a much older OS is involved, a well regarded software firewall needs your consideration and individual Limited User Accounts (LUA) are a must.

I have my HOSTS populated (I forgot what filled it in), but I'm not sure what you mean by a HIPS choice.  Could you explain?

Both systems run Windows 7.

Thanks, Quietman.  It sounds like it'd be quite a challenge to compile a report based on the varying results of the different labs.

So, basically, should I stick with Avast! free and Spybot 2 free, and add Sandboxie?  Yes, I understand MBAM is preferred, but it has no active protection (same with SAS) in the free version, and no longer offers a lifetime license.

I do use some protection in FF and Chrome.  For example, on the HP Mini in FF I use: AdBlock Plus (with Popup add-on), avast! Online Security, BetterPrivacy (for LSO cookies), DNTM, HTTPS Finder, Self-Destructing Cookies, Bitdefender Trafficlight and WOT.

Namaste, Peace & Love,
Glenn

#8 xXToffeeXx

xXToffeeXx

Bleepin' Polar Bear

• Malware Response Instructor
  • 6,015 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:14 PM

Posted 01 June 2014 - 11:04 AM

Hi,

You can find a lifetime licence for Malwarebytes if you look around. There are also other websites which offer the licence too, and cheaper (I hear the first website is pretty good, if you're looking for a cheaper price).

xXToffeeXx~

~If I am helping you and you have not had a reply from me in two days, please send me a PM~

~Currently in my last year of school, so replies might be more delayed~

logo-25.pngID Ransomware - Identify What Ransomware Encrypted Your Files [Support Topic] - If we have helped you out and you want to support what we do, you can do so here

~Twitter~ | ~Malware Analyst at Emsisoft~

#9 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:14 PM

Posted 01 June 2014 - 08:12 PM

So, basically, should I stick with Avast! free and Spybot 2 free, and add Sandboxie?  Yes, I understand MBAM is preferred, but it has no active protection (same with SAS) in the free version..

As far as I can see here, Spybot 2 Free does not offer real-time protection either.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#10 RevGAM

RevGAM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 701 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2014 - 12:07 AM

@Toffee@:  Thanks!  I will definitely check that out. Although the price tag is pretty high for a po' boy, I think it's worth it if I can scrape together the money.

@Quietman@: I was wondering about that.  The popup when I put my cursor over the Spybot Free icon in the tray shows:

Live protection: off

AS: active

Internet: protected

That led me to believe there is some sort of active protection.  The page you linked says: "...immunizing your browser and hosts file", so I wonder if this is all those two items mean, or if the free description isn't accurate, or...Hmmm...Perhaps this is all it means: http://www.safer-networking.org/faq/what-is-the-immunization-feature-and-what-are-the-other-permanent-protection-options-2/ ?

Do you folks have any particular reason why MBAM is preferred over SS&D?  Aside from the affiliate program, I mean. :)

Edit: I just noticed that my MBAM is 1.75....

Edited by RevGAM, 02 June 2014 - 12:10 AM.

Namaste, Peace & Love,
Glenn

#11 RevGAM

RevGAM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 701 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2014 - 01:44 AM

Just as a note for those searching for a deal on MBAM, there are coupon codes that can be entered when you purchase, which will give you a discount, for example on retailmenot.com (the first code with over 200 votes).

I found a code on there which gave me 1 copy for $19.95 and two for $33.52 on the lifetime license.  That's a pretty good deal!  Now, I just need to come up with the cash!

Edited by RevGAM, 02 June 2014 - 03:49 AM.

Namaste, Peace & Love,
Glenn

#12 xXToffeeXx

xXToffeeXx

Bleepin' Polar Bear

• 6,015 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2014 - 11:04 AM

That led me to believe there is some sort of active protection.  The page you linked says: "...immunizing your browser and hosts file", so I wonder if this is all those two items mean, or if the free description isn't accurate, or...Hmmm...Perhaps this is all it means: http://www.safer-networking.org/faq/what-is-the-immunization-feature-and-what-are-the-other-permanent-protection-options-2/ ?

Do you folks have any particular reason why MBAM is preferred over SS&D?  Aside from the affiliate program, I mean. :)

Nah, I think the active protection is in the paid version where it's an antivirus too. Neither of those are real time protection, just settings changed to make your computer safer.

Spybot used to be a really good program, as was used a lot in malware removal a quite a few years ago. MBAM came along and it overtook spybot in terms of detection and removal of malware. Spybot has never really adapted over the years, and so whilst MBAM has been improving and people switched over, spybot never really did anything to regain those people who use MBAM. The detections rates slipped too, and it just hasn't kept up. There's also the Teatimer module which detects changes to the registry which not many people without knowledge of window's registry would understand, and therefore would not know whether to allow or deny.

Members who are not staff have no reason to support MBAM or any other software other than it being a good effective program. I certainly wouldn't recommend Mcafee for example, even if the site was being paid to promote it, when there are other better options out there. The affiliate program works that when Malwarebytes or Emsisoft or even SurfRight (hitman pro) give Grinler a piece of malware for him to write his guides then Grinler will use their program to remove it, and offers a link to buy the full software which gives Grinler income if brought from. The staff have their own opinions which we may express on a subject, and we are not told to advertise or promote a certain software or anything like that  :)

Just as a note for those searching for a deal on MBAM, there are coupon codes that can be entered when you purchase, which will give you a discount, for example on retailmenot.com (the first code with over 200 votes).

I found a code on there which gave me 1 copy for $19.95 and two for $33.52 on the lifetime license.  That's a pretty good deal!  Now, I just need to come up with the cash!

Ah, I just did a quick search to show that there are still copies out there, I wasn't looking too hard. That is cheap though, cheapest I've seen for a long time. Nice find, I hope you can find the cash.

Edited by xXToffeeXx, 02 June 2014 - 11:04 AM.

~If I am helping you and you have not had a reply from me in two days, please send me a PM~

logo-25.pngID Ransomware - Identify What Ransomware Encrypted Your Files [Support Topic] - If we have helped you out and you want to support what we do, you can do so here

#13 RevGAM

RevGAM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 701 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2014 - 11:58 AM

Thank you for the response, Toffee, I appreciate it!

Sorry, sometimes I don't choose the best words.  I didn't mean any offense with the comment about the affiliate program.  I just wanted to specify that it wasn't a reason I was not interested in.

I hope I can find the cash, too.  If I get paid for my workshop last month (IF), I should be able to buy it.  I appreciate your help!

Just a note for those who are curious.  I am now trying out Sandboxie.  Running just FF in it is fine, but when I tried both FF and Chrome, I got a BSOD.  I then tried running Media Player Classic in it with Word and Notepad outside and got a BSOD, too.  Finally, I tried just Chrome, and got a BSOD.  I guess my HP Mini, which is low on video memory, needs more RAM to really use Sandboxie well.  I guess running Sandboxie might be a problem on the Pavilion.

Namaste, Peace & Love,
Glenn

#14 1PW

1PW

• Members
  • 316 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2014 - 12:06 PM

I'm not sure what you mean by a HIPS choice.  Could you explain?

https://en.wikipedia.or/wiki/Intrusion_prevention_system

Both systems run Windows 7.

Greater clarity through good details might be helpful to others who might contribute advice. :)

Edited by 1PW, 02 June 2014 - 12:07 PM.

#15 xXToffeeXx

xXToffeeXx

Bleepin' Polar Bear

• 6,015 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2014 - 12:30 PM

Sorry, sometimes I don't choose the best words.  I didn't mean any offense with the comment about the affiliate program.  I just wanted to specify that it wasn't a reason I was not interested in.

No worries, I didn't take it as so. I just wanted to clarify how the affiliate system actually works, rather than it being something we really consider when recommending a program.

What are the requirements to run Sandboxie?:

"There are no particular hardware requirements. Sandboxie needs only a small amount of memory and should have a very small impact on performance." - From the website, but it seems might it not have been updated for a while. You could try their forums if you want.

You're welcome.

xXToffeeXx~

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users