Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Browsers these days ... grrrrrr

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 WheresMySledgehammer

WheresMySledgehammer

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:51 AM

Posted 26 May 2014 - 10:37 PM

Prepare for mini-rant by grumpy lady. :ranting:

I've been using Firefox for 4 years on my Toshiba Satellite laptop (Windows 7). I don't like change, but I have grudgingly accepted the updated versions from back in the days of 3-point something. But now they are on this Version 29 that's a really big departure once again. I used it on my friend's computer but I'm stubbornly staying with 24 and starting to browser-shop. :wacko: BTW, I've tried Chrome and didn't like it much, and IE and I don't get along - for some reason it tends to crash so I haven't used it on this computer in forever.

The thing is, I'm computer savvy in some areas and glad to be, but my browser isn't something I want to have to think about much at all. Much less spend a bunch of time tweaking, dealing with add-ons, and basically trying to find out how I can have what I guess you'd call an "old-school" browsing experience. For heaven's sake, I don't need to know what principles are involved in the design of one browser or another. :angry: I just want one that works, does basic browser stuff, and that my eyes can read. I don't want to have to hover over weird little icons. I want the commands and functions in words and menus, as they've always been till here recently, with the basic ones (File, Edit, History, etc.) visible.

Today I found Pale Moon, which I thought I might like, until I discovered you can't right-click to open a link in a new tab. Well, that's about as useless as mammary glands on a boar hog. :thumbdown:   

Help - is there any browser in existence that I might be able to be on speaking terms with?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 11,722 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:51 PM

Posted 26 May 2014 - 10:44 PM

try opera.

http://www.opera.com/

Well, that's about as useless as mammary glands on a boar hog. :thumbdown:

:hysterical:

Edited by NickAu1, 26 May 2014 - 10:44 PM.

#3 FlannelBack

FlannelBack

• Members
  • 327 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:51 AM

Posted 27 May 2014 - 12:44 AM

What happens when you right-click on a link?

Pale Moon is my default browser.  I have no problems opening a link in a new tab from the right-click context menu.
PM_Open_Link.jpg
But normally I just middle-click on a link to open the link in a new tab.

Maybe try posting your problem with Pale Moon in the Pale Moon forums? http://forum.palemoon.org/.  The developer(Moonchild) is quite active there.

I just want one that works, does basic browser stuff, and that my eyes can read. I don't want to have to hover over weird little icons. I want the commands and functions in words and menus, as they've always been till here recently, with the basic ones (File, Edit, History, etc.) visible.

That's what Pale Moon is all about, the functionality of having a browser that works your way.

#4 WheresMySledgehammer

WheresMySledgehammer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2014 - 12:23 PM

Hi, thanks for the answers. I may check out Opera again - seems I took a look at it many moons ago but for some reason decided to stay with Firefox then.

However, I just tried the right-click in Pale Moon, although I thought it even said on their site that that feature isn't in it at this time. And it worked - so I don't know what the confusion was about - I'm glad I ranted and got this answer! :bounce: I'll keep playing with Pale Moon and see how I like it! :thumbup2:

#5 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,286 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:51 PM

Posted 27 May 2014 - 01:28 PM

Just some additional information. The original incarnation of Opera browser ended with version 12.15. The current version 15, I think as of this post, is a 'reskinned' chrome browser. Unless it's been fixed they don't even use bookmarks....

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#6 WheresMySledgehammer

WheresMySledgehammer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2014 - 10:27 PM

Okay, I'm liking Pale Moon a bit now - except for a new pet peeve I discovered. I don't want my username for things such as bulletin board logins to be autofilled. This seems from what I can tell to be the default setting of Pale Moon and no quick option to change it. Can I change it in about:config if somebody knows how to do this so I can do it safely? I sure hope there is a way . . . :wizardball: Thanks to anyone who can help me!

#7 FlannelBack

FlannelBack

• Members
  • 327 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2014 - 12:15 AM

In "about:config" search for signon.autofillForms, set it to false.  See if that solves the problem.

I respect that you don't care for add-ons/extensions, but this one is quite handy:

Secure Login :: Add-ons for Firefox
Nothing shows up in the log-in textareas until you click the key.

Unfortunately, I'm an add-on/extension junkie.

If you don't want Pale Moon to remember passwords,

• Tools > Options
  • Security tab
  • Un-check "Remember passwords for sites"
  • Click the "OK" button

You can make "Exceptions" to the rule for particular sites.

#8 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 11,722 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:51 PM

Posted 28 May 2014 - 12:45 AM

I respect that you don't care for add-ons/extensions,

In my opinion,  Every browser should have AddBlocker, PopUp Blocker, No Script, And ghostery.

Edited by NickAu1, 28 May 2014 - 12:45 AM.

#9 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:51 PM

Posted 28 May 2014 - 02:44 PM

Empty Cache add on is always handy too... more than I realized when I installed it.

#10 WheresMySledgehammer

WheresMySledgehammer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2014 - 11:04 PM

In "about:config" search for signon.autofillForms, set it to false.  See if that solves the problem.

Found it and did it and it works, thanks! :thumbup2:

I respect that you don't care for add-ons/extensions, but this one is quite handy:

Secure Login :: Add-ons for Firefox
Nothing shows up in the log-in textareas until you click the key.

Unfortunately, I'm an add-on/extension junkie.

I have a friend who is one of those and I would get the addons at her suggestion, think they were rather cool at first, but then revert to my accustomed ways and use them less and less then forget about them. Ones that just quietly block stuff or whatever might be okay.

If you don't want Pale Moon to remember passwords,

• Tools > Options
  • Security tab
  • Un-check "Remember passwords for sites"
  • Click the "OK" button

You can make "Exceptions" to the rule for particular sites.

That one I did find on my own, but thanks for mentioning it anyway. :)

#11 FlannelBack

FlannelBack

• Members
  • 327 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2014 - 01:28 PM

I apologize for the up-comming wall of text.

Found it and did it and it works, thanks! :thumbup2:

Good news then.

You may or may not have found this:

• Right-click on the tabs bar, or any tool bar.
  • Select "Customize..."
  • Lower left corner of the customize window is a drop-down menu with three options.  Select "Text".  See if you like that setting.

It pretty much changes all the icons to text only in the tool bars and status bar.

I mentioned the "Secure Login" extension because it would have set "signon.autofillForms" to false automatically.  But it also gives you a one click log-on feature for those sites that you have Pale Moon remember.  When you land on a site that you have saved sign-in info, the key icon will change to an amber color.  Click the key and you are logged in.  Although, there wouldn't be a key if you change everything to text using the above method.

NoSquint :: Add-ons for Firefox is handy for those sites you visit frequently that have fine/small print.  When you change the font size using the [Ctrl]+[Scroll wheel] or [Ctrl]+[+]/[-] keys, NoSquint will remember, on a per site basis.  When you next visit any of those sites, they will automatically be displayed in the font size you previously used.

Ones that just quietly block stuff or whatever might be okay.

These add, script and object blockers perform multiple tasks.  The obvious one is they help un-clutter the content of a page.  This in turn generally improves page load times, less content for the browser to render. Less band-with usage too I should think, which could make a difference on a slow connection.

But there is a security and privacy side too.  Some adds can contain nefarious/malicious and un-seen content.  Many consider being able to block this garbage to be the more important attribute of these blockers.

With some blockers, interaction is required, at least in the beginning.

A short list of some of the popular blockers:

• Adblock Plus :: Add-ons for Firefox or Adblock Edge :: Add-ons for Firefox. One or the other not both.  I prefer Adblock Plus but either will get the job done with little intervention from the user.  However, there are other add-ons/extensions that work in conjunction with Adblock Plus that improve it's capability.  Either of these will probably slow the browser launch time by roughly 2-3 seconds since they have to load the blocking filters.
  • Adblock Plus Pop-up Addon :: Add-ons for Firefox.  Works with Adblock Plus, helps prevent those unwanted pop-ups.  Little or no interaction necessary.
  • NoScript Security Suite :: Add-ons for Firefox.  Highly recommended and effective, but can be tedious at times when selecting which scripts to block or allow.  If the wrong scripts are blocked it can break rendering of a site/page.  Once configured for the sites you visit though, you will forget it's there.  At least until it updates, at which time it will load an update notification page.  That can be disabled though.
  • Ghostery :: Add-ons for Firefox. Blocks embedded content, beacons, analytics, widgets and advertising.  Some of those objects are invisable. Uses a filter list that is maintained by the vendor.  You can pick and choose from the filters on a per site basis what to block or allow.  It is quite effective but can also break sites/pages if the wrong filters are chosen for blocking.  There have been some misgivings about this one since it was taken over by the "Evidon" company from it's original developer "David Cancel."  See Ghostery: History and use - Wikipedia and just below that section Ghostery: Criticism - Wikipedia.

Of the ones listed, you would probably find NoScript the most aggravating. For a little while anyway, but it is well worth it in the long run.  The others are quite easy to work with and you would forget they were installed in short order.  The same for NoScript, it just takes a little longer.

With the exception of "Adblock Edge", I have all of those installed, and then some.  Not so much because I don't want to see the adds but more from a security/privacy stand point.

There are many more blocker add-ons/extensions available, some good some not so good.  There are alternative methods too.  Blocking programs/applications (AdFender - The Ultimate Ad Blocker) that can be installed.  Some like to use the HOSTS file to block specific sites.

When you install blockers, it is important to remember that blocking adds also blocks revenue from those adds for a site.  So when visiting trusted sites like Bleeping Computer the blocker should be disabled.

#12 WheresMySledgehammer

WheresMySledgehammer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2014 - 05:26 PM

I'm back to frustrated nitpickiness again. I'm not even sure what a "script" is except for 1) the thing they use to make movies or 2) something that now and then is mentioned in a popup window as unresponsive - my response, "It's unresponsive? :o So, should I look for a defibrillator or call 911?" :unsure: I just wait for the computer to decide about it and then go on about my business.

Okay, now to my frustration. But before I get good and going, FlannelBack, I want to thank you for all the information even if some of it's over my head or I'm thinking "Ain't nobody got time for that!" :P

Here's what's been happening in Pale Moon today (I'm at a friend's house using wifi - and I downloaded Pale Moon from this location/IP address (hey, I do know what an IP address is, yay me) about 3 days ago. I've done both things suggested earlier - telling it not to remember passwords, and the about:config thing where I set the signon/autofill to false. At first it seemed to work. But today it went back to remembering form fills. I don't want that, because I am very secretive about my usernames. I am not an evil villain bent on world domination, just a private person. (I know, they all say that. :luke: )

Oh, and I cleared my cache, but that also only worked for a short while.

The Secure Login might solve my problem, so I suppose I can try that. It's only one add-on. Further bulletins as events warrant. Thanks again to y'all helpful people. :)

Edited by WheresMySledgehammer, 29 May 2014 - 05:27 PM.

#13 FlannelBack

FlannelBack

• Members
  • 327 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2014 - 01:35 AM

I'm not even sure what a "script" is

In this case, a "script" is instruction code that is, in essence, a command that tells the browser to perform some task.

Oh, and I cleared my cache, but that also only worked for a short while.

It won't stay cleared for any length of time, that's one of the reasons why TsVk! suggested an "Empty Cache" add-on/extension.

The following is a cheap work around and will render the the "Secure Login" extension useless.  Since you don't want Pale Moon to remember/save passwords,

• Options > Privacy button in the top row.
  • In the "History" section, un-check "Remember my browsing and download history" and "Remember search and form history".
  • Click the "Security" button in the top row.
  • In the "Passwords" section, Click the "Saved Passwords" button.
  • In the "Saved Passwords" window click the "Remove All" button.
  • Click the "Close" button.
  • Back in the "Options" window, Click the "Advanced" button in the top row.
  • Click the "Network" tab in the second row.
  • Click both "Clear Now" buttons.
  • Click the "OK" button.
  • Exit Pale Moon and re-launch

Now Pale Moon won't have any information to display for any log-in/sign-in forms.

If the above doesn't or won't work for you, then let's try the:
Pale Moon Commander add-on
Scroll down the page to the "Download and install" section.  Look for the "Add to Pale Moon" link.  It's just above the softpedia_download_small.gif button.  Click the link to install the add-on.  This is a tool for Pale Moon created by Moonchild.  It gives you additional/expanded options specifically for Pale Moon.  We're going to use it to reset the Pale Moon preferences to the installation defaults.

After completing the "Pale Moon Commander" installation,

• Tools > Advanced options...
  • In the "Pale Moon Commander" window click the "Other" button, top row.
  • Click the "Reset" tab, second row.
  • Click the "Reset All Preferences" button.

I just wrecked half my extension settings going through this.

• If there is a warning accept it.

You should now be reset to the defaults.

Re-do the first two bullets from the cheap work around steps.  Also be sure to un-check the "Remember passwords for sites" option under the "Security" button window.
In "about:config" re-set "signon.autofillForms" to false.
Exit Pale Moon and re-launch.

If none of the above work, then all I have are questions.

What version of Pale Moon do you have, 24.5.0?
Is it the 32 bit version "Pale Moon 24.5.0 (x86)"?
Or the 64 bit version "Pale Moon 24.5.0 (x64)"?

Did you download it from one of these:

Or from some other download site?

Have you been using "Private browsing mode" all this time?

In "about:config", is "signon.autofillForms" still set to false or has it reverted back to true?

Is "Remember passwords for sites" still un-checked or is the status now checked?

After you set "signon.autofillForms" to false, did you "Exit" Pale Moon before you closed the lid to the lap top or before the computer entered sleep mode?

What, if any, plugins(e.g. Flash Player, Adobe Reader) are installed?

What security applications do you have installed on the computer, fire wall, anti-virus, anti-malware?

With out more information to work with, at this time I can only suggest four things:

Any one of the first three may well solve the problem, but without knowing what caused it in the first place I'd have to say the issue will most likely return in short order.

BTW, did you clear the cache before or after the problems returned?

#14 WheresMySledgehammer

WheresMySledgehammer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2014 - 12:33 PM

Thank you, FlannelBack. I will sit down with this next week when I'm back home and have more time and patience. Looking through your suggestions, I'm thinking there's got to be something that will work. I'm close to getting it how I want. Probably trying to do it on the fly is why I'm not getting the desired results. So, I'll check back in next week at some point and we'll see how it goes! :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users