Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Inspiron 14z 5423 will not boot

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 PzNguyen

PzNguyen

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:46 AM

Posted 26 May 2014 - 07:00 PM

Trying to fix a friend's laptop. Inspiron 14z 5423.

It gets stuck on the first Dell screen. Every 3 minutes or so, the screen blinks black.

If I press f2/f12 as soon as it loads, the setup/boot option words become highlighted, but nothing else happens.

I removed the hard-drive and was unable to boot it with my desktop's motherboard. So after extracting the personal files, I re-installed windows 7.

After reassembling the hard drive, I still had the same problem.

I did a little bit of research and apparently a lot of Inspiron 14z 5423 owners are having the exact same problem. Apparently it may be the motherboard. There were so many solutions offered that did not work, I became intimidated. 

any help would be greatly appreciated.

Oh yea, unrelated to the motherboard, but for the life of me, I cannot figure out which drivers go to this product!  This is the 4th inspiron I've had to fix and every time I am overwhelmed by Dell's driver menu! http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/555/Product/inspiron-14z-5423

Edited by PzNguyen, 26 May 2014 - 07:03 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2014 - 12:50 PM

Reset the cmos by pulling the button battery, power adapter and main battery from the laptop. Leave them all out for about a minute, put them back in power on... If nothing changes>

If you have more than 1 stick of ram, remove 1 stick and test with that stick only in 1 slot, if nothing changes move it to the next open slot (remove power when removing or adding ram etc). Try the other stick in both slots by itself as well...

If you remove both sticks of ram and power on do you get any beep or beep code?

This step will likely require full disassembly: Any piece of hardware can cause post problems. If none of the above methods work, remove wireless cards, hard drives, keyboard, touchpad, webcam, basically all of the hardware except the cpu, mainboard, built in monitor, and try to power it on. You should get a post fault beep code with no ram. If you do, add a stick of ram and try to power on.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#3 PzNguyen

PzNguyen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2014 - 05:39 PM

I got to the last step of your instructions and I am able to get past the opening menu when I removed the SSD!

I set the Bios to boot from the HD instead. Thank you so much! 

Edited by PzNguyen, 27 May 2014 - 06:21 PM.

#4 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2014 - 07:38 AM

Glad to hear you have it working. Happy computing.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users