Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

USB Mouse Disconnects Constantly

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 PC_Fanatic

PC_Fanatic

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:10 AM

Posted 26 May 2014 - 04:23 PM

My computer is verging on usable due to this infuriating and consistent problem. For the last couple of weeks my mouse intermittently disconnects several times a minute. I have confirmed that it is a software, NOT hardware problem. I did this by testing the mouse in safe mode and on another computer, in both cases there was no issue whatsoever. Also the optic lase NEVER goes out so it isn't a short in the cord or USB head. Usually it reconnects on its own in anywhere from 1 - 5 seconds. But sometimes I get the "USB device unregonzied/failed" pop up in the system tray and I have to unplug and replug the mouse. Upon reconnection Windows plays the "bedoop" sound, as if a new device was just connected. One time, and only once, it happened to BOTH the mouse and my keyboard at the same moment. I suspect the problem is rooted in my system's USB drivers due to the symptoms described above. I have tried all of the following to no avail :

1) Uninstalled Mouse drivers and all related software before reinstalling.

2) Uninstalled hidden devices in HID and USB categories inside of "Device Manager".

3) Made sure the "allow computer to turn off device to save ower" box was unchecked in all of the USB root hubs within "Device Manager" (they already were).

4) Made sure "USB selective suspend" in "Power Options" was disabled (it was).

PLEASE help me out with this, I'm pulling my hair out over this! :smash:

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Relevant Specs :

Windows 7 64 bit edition

Logitech g400 Mouse (KB is different brand)

Edited by hamluis, 30 May 2014 - 09:08 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to External Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:10 AM

Posted 26 May 2014 - 05:08 PM

Hi,

When you are uninstalling, rebooting and reinstalling the various drivers have you confirmed that you are using the latest versions of all of them?

Thanks

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 PC_Fanatic

PC_Fanatic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2014 - 05:10 PM

Hi,

When you are uninstalling, rebooting and reinstalling the various drivers have you confirmed that you are using the latest versions of all of them?

Thanks

Yup got the latest drivers from Logitech's official site.

#4 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2014 - 05:12 PM

Hi,

Any malware or anti virus scans run lately?

Thanks

Dick E

#5 PC_Fanatic

PC_Fanatic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2014 - 05:15 PM

Hi,

Any malware or anti virus scans run lately?

Thanks

I did that already, no malicious software was found.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,444 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2014 - 05:50 PM

Not sure if it will work but give this a try. Make sure your USB Selective Suspend Settings are set to Disabled on Battery and Plugged in.

#7 PC_Fanatic

PC_Fanatic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2014 - 06:39 PM

Not sure if it will work but give this a try. Make sure your USB Selective Suspend Settings are set to Disabled on Battery and Plugged in.

Oh thanks but I tried that awhile back. I was gonna make that point number 4 in the OP but it didn't save right.

#8 PC_Fanatic

PC_Fanatic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2014 - 02:52 PM

I have identified the problem. It was the cheap Logitech cord. When it gets twists and bends the mouse momentarily shorts causing Windows to detect a disconnection. I have to carefully manage the cord to prevent this, but have succeeded in doing so. I initially ruled out a short because the optic laser never goes out. However i think the short is so brief that the light never has a chance to turn off. Logitech makes solid mice but pitiful cords!

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,444 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2014 - 05:33 PM

Nice troubleshooting. Thanks for giving the solution to your problem. It may help other people with the same issue.

#10 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2014 - 09:51 PM

I have identified the problem. It was the cheap Logitech cord. When it gets twists and bends the mouse momentarily shorts causing Windows to detect a disconnection. I have to carefully manage the cord to prevent this, but have succeeded in doing so. I initially ruled out a short because the optic laser never goes out. However i think the short is so brief that the light never has a chance to turn off. Logitech makes solid mice but pitiful cords!

I'll echo the thanks for posting back with the solution

The cord came from another country, like so many other things. QC is poor and we all get a chance to experience it. Sounds like a mouse replacement is in order - maybe wireless to avoid the cord problem.

A short in the cord may not be complete. There are several conductors in there and it would only take two touching to cause a partial problem.

Stay well and surf safe

Dick E

#11 PC_Fanatic

PC_Fanatic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2014 - 12:59 AM

I'll echo the thanks for posting back with the solution

The cord came from another country, like so many other things. QC is poor and we all get a chance to experience it. Sounds like a mouse replacement is in order - maybe wireless to avoid the cord problem.

A short in the cord may not be complete. There are several conductors in there and it would only take two touching to cause a partial problem.

Stay well and surf safe

Nice troubleshooting. Thanks for giving the solution to your problem. It may help other people with the same issue.

Yeah I figured it would help others with the same problem. This issue with Logitech mice turns out to be very common. The specific problem turns out to be with the part of the cord that connects into the mouse. I can manually cause the problem by bending to the side this part. Mouse replacement will do no good, as they all have this terrible cord! I wanna stick with this mouse, and with Logitech. To prevent it, I currently have the cord sprawled atop my desk. I'm just laxy though I could probably manage it better with clips. Just glad I got it figured out :guitar: Thanks guys for replying to this thread!

Edited by PC_Fanatic, 30 May 2014 - 01:05 AM.

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,444 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2014 - 09:02 AM

I had a Logitech mouse that went bad. It was within the 5 year warranty period. Called customer service and they sent out another after some troubleshooting over the phone. Didn't even have to send the old one back or provide my receipt as proof. In your situation with the bad cord, I would call Logitech and see if you can get a replacement if within the warranty period.

#13 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2014 - 12:38 PM

Who knows? It could be better :thumbsup:

Dick E

0 user(s) are reading this topic