Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installing New Harddrive isssues

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 lapetite66

lapetite66

• Members
  • 117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:29 AM

Posted 26 May 2014 - 02:33 PM

Hi:

I was here a while back about my sister's computer because it had a virus on it.  I believe it still had one on it when I closed the topic but decided to just install a new Seagate Barracuda HD.

Unforunately, I'm having issues trying to install the new HD.  Everything seemed like it was going fine during the course of trying to install my slipstreamed Windows XP.  Yes, I know support has ended but I can't afford to upgrade to the more recent OS so I use what I have.  Anyway, the installation process seemed to be going great but then when the system reboots, instead of the installation process continuing (the Windows screen that tell you that the installation will take 39minutes) the  computer loops and starts installing all over again.  This kept happening for a while until I got sick of it and turned off her computer.

I took the HD out and changed the pin selector as per the Seagate instruction manual (the HD is inverted and so I had the pin in the wrong place) the reason I need that is because my sister’s computer isn’t one of the more recent like 2012-2014 and so she needs the Seagate HD pin selection in a specific location because her computer won’t exceed the 1.5 speed.  Anyway, I got the following message:

"Disk boot failure insert system disk and continue", the system disk was inserted but I still got that error.

Then I got the following error: 

"CDROM drive number not found

system restore stopped!

Press a key to continue

The last message I received was:

1.Windows could not start because of a computer disk hardware configuration problem.

2. Could not read from the selected boot disk.  Check boot path and disk hardware.

3. Please check the Window documentation about hardware disk configuration and your hardware reference manuals for additional information.

The computer is old but the Seagate HD is new  so I am at a loss at what to do here. 

Please help!!!

Computer specs

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/3B14R3XRw2oDQ0byzp5xOGR

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Mistersprinkles

Mistersprinkles

• Banned
  • 118 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 AM

Posted 26 May 2014 - 04:05 PM

You have the boot priority set to wherever your windows was installing from. Change the boot priority back to HDD first, and install Win XP by pressing F8 or whatever the key is for that mobo to get the boot selector after POST.

#3 lapetite66

lapetite66
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 117 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2014 - 04:45 PM

You have the boot priority set to wherever your windows was installing from. Change the boot priority back to HDD first, and install Win XP by pressing F8 or whatever the key is for that mobo to get the boot selector after POST.

Hi Mistersprinkles:

Thanks for responding to my message.

You said that I should change the boot priority back to HDD.  How can I boot/install from the inserted CD if I make the HD my first boot priority?

#4 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,168 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:29 AM

Posted 26 May 2014 - 04:54 PM

The Speccy link details a Samsung 160gb IDE hard drive.  As IDE disks aren't widely available anymore, am I correct in assuming the Seagate drive you are fitting is a SATA drive?

7sbvuf-6.png

#5 lapetite66

lapetite66
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 117 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2014 - 05:13 PM

The Speccy link details a Samsung 160gb IDE hard drive.  As IDE disks aren't widely available anymore, am I correct in assuming the Seagate drive you are fitting is a SATA drive?

Hi jonuk:

Yes, the speccy link is from the old HD but other than that everything else is the same.  Yes, the new Seagate harddrive I'm trying to install is a SATA drive.

#6 Mistersprinkles

Mistersprinkles

• Banned
  • 118 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2014 - 05:41 PM

Hi Mistersprinkles:

Thanks for responding to my message.

You said that I should change the boot priority back to HDD.  How can I boot/install from the inserted CD if I make the HD my first boot priority?

You shouldn't have to boot from ODD now that the installation files are on the HDD. Just boot from HDD.

#7 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,168 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2014 - 05:42 PM

It could be related to boot order as already mentioned.  The Windows XP CD, if you don't press a key when it loads it will move onto the next device in the boot order.  On your hardware, it looks like SATA support is through a third party chip (Silicon Image SIL3114) rather than the chipset.  This was common before SATA was widely accepted.  I don't know your BIOS but it could be that instead of choosing "Hard Disk" in the boot order you may need to choose "SATA Hard Disk" or maybe even RAID or something similar.  Essentially you want to tell it to boot from the SATA controller rather than the on chip IDE controller.

Is the Windows installer definitely seeing the hard disk and allowing you to format it and writing to it?

7sbvuf-6.png

#8 lapetite66

lapetite66
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 117 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2014 - 06:39 PM

You shouldn't have to boot from ODD now that the installation files are on the HDD. Just boot from HDD.

I think there's a miscommunication here. 

There aren't any files on the HD because I'm trying to install Window XP on a totally new/unused HD but it's not installing it keeps looping back and installing those same files over and over again and I NEVER get to the screen that tells me that it will take 39 minutes(counting down) until the Windows XP Installation is complete.

#9 lapetite66

lapetite66
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 117 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2014 - 06:51 PM

It could be related to boot order as already mentioned.  The Windows XP CD, if you don't press a key when it loads it will move onto the next device in the boot order.  On your hardware, it looks like SATA support is through a third party chip (Silicon Image SIL3114) rather than the chipset.  This was common before SATA was widely accepted.  I don't know your BIOS but it could be that instead of choosing "Hard Disk" in the boot order you may need to choose "SATA Hard Disk" or maybe even RAID or something similar.  Essentially you want to tell it to boot from the SATA controller rather than the on chip IDE controller.

Is the Windows installer definitely seeing the hard disk and allowing you to format it and writing to it?

Jonuk:

When you say that you need to press the key or "a" key to load, are you talking about the Windows XP when it's about to start installing???  If so, then there isn't a message telling me to hit a key to install instead I just see a message "about how my windows configuration is being studied(wrong words but can't think of the right terms) and then the installation starts.  As I said previously, the install seems to go fine but then when it shuts down it goes right back to that same screen and the same process starts all over again.

If you are talking about setting the boot order, I've gone into F1 and set it so that it will boot from CD first and the HD second even which is kind of redundant since there isn't really a HD until the OS is installed, the HD is just a blank slate.

I don't know or don't remember if there is an SATA HD option. There is something about RAID but I think that has to do with the DVD-RW drive which is SATA and connected to an SATA adapter in the PCI slot.

I will do as you and Mr. Sprinkles suggest and get back to you.  I will have to unhook my system and hook hers up which is quite time consuming.

Edited by lapetite66, 26 May 2014 - 06:54 PM.

#10 Mistersprinkles

Mistersprinkles

• Banned
  • 118 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2014 - 07:00 PM

I think there's a miscommunication here. 

There aren't any files on the HD because I'm trying to install Window XP on a totally new/unused HD but it's not installing it keeps looping back and installing those same files over and over again and I NEVER get to the screen that tells me that it will take 39 minutes(counting down) until the Windows XP Installation is complete.

Exactly. There IS something on the HD. There's the windows installation package. You have your system set to first boot priority: optical. That is why it keeps looping over and over. I assure you that all you have to do is one of the following:

1) Put the HDD as the first boot priority. Check your mobo manual or the internet to find out which key you press to get the boot selection prompt. Select the optical drive. Install windows files off the optical drive, then reset , and the windows installation will continue normally off the hard drive. 

2) leave the optical drive as first boot priority, then after the system resets after installing the files off optical, rapidly press delete to get into bios and change the boot priority to HDD.

This is a simple problem. I had it once too. 

#11 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,226 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:29 PM

Posted 26 May 2014 - 07:59 PM

the DVD-RW drive which is SATA and connected to an SATA adapter in the PCI slot.

If none of the current suggestions bear fruit, this may be the cause of your problem. Is there a specific reason to use a SATA adapter board rather than one of the on-board SATA channels? An outboard adapter will load its own BIOS to enable booting, but once control transfers to Windows, unless that card's driver has also been slipstreamed into your Windows XP CD, the optical drive will no longer be seen.

Do you have SATA drivers for the mainboard SATA chipset slipstreamed into the XP CD? Since the SATA HDD is accessible, it looks like either this is the case, or the onboard controller is set to emulate IDE. In either situation, removing the PCI SATA card and connecting the optical drive to the other on-board SATA connector might resolve the problem.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#12 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,168 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2014 - 03:59 AM

When you say that you need to press the key or "a" key to load, are you talking about the Windows XP when it's about to start installing???  If so, then there isn't a message telling me to hit a key to install instead I just see a message "about how my windows configuration is being studied(wrong words but can't think of the right terms) and then the installation starts.  As I said previously, the install seems to go fine but then when it shuts down it goes right back to that same screen and the same process starts all over again.

If you are talking about setting the boot order, I've gone into F1 and set it so that it will boot from CD first and the HD second even which is kind of redundant since there isn't really a HD until the OS is installed, the HD is just a blank slate.

I don't know or don't remember if there is an SATA HD option. There is something about RAID but I think that has to do with the DVD-RW drive which is SATA and connected to an SATA adapter in the PCI slot.

I will do as you and Mr. Sprinkles suggest and get back to you.  I will have to unhook my system and hook hers up which is quite time consuming.

All I meant by 'press a key' was this message that you get when you boot from the Windows XP CD:

Press_any_key_to_boot_from_CD.png

When you boot from the CD this message comes up and stays there for a few seconds (at least it does on any WinXP CD I've used).  If you ignore it, it will not boot from the CD and continue on to the next device in the boot order - usually the hard disk.  What I'm trying to say is that after the initial 'copy to disk' that Windows Setup does before it restarts it's not usually that important to change the boot order in BIOS or remove the CD to run the next stage of Setup - although there is no harm in doing either or both of these.  Just ignoring this message should cause it to boot from the hard disk the setup program has just been copied to, provided that the boot order is set properly.  So you want the boot order in BIOS to be set to 1) CD Rom  2)  SATA hard disk.  You do not want it set to boot off the main IDE hard disk controller as that will cause the 'disk boot failure, insert system disk' error.

It's thrown me a bit that the computer is using a PCI SATA card.  All the specs I can find on the board, which is not much, suggest that it has 2 SATA ports built in along with the two IDE channels.  Why the need for an add on card?

7sbvuf-6.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users