Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Suggestions for Real Time anti malware please?

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 FatherTed

FatherTed

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:14 AM

Posted 26 May 2014 - 12:50 PM

Hallo,

I have a ThinkPad W520 with Windows 7 Professional (64) & following a clean install, I decided to dump Private Firewall & have replaced it with Windows Firewall to go with Microsoft Security Essentials. Whilst using a torrent service, I managed to pick up Vuupc which my Malwarebytes couldn't clean. Research brought me here & fortunately the suggested AdwCleaner did the trick.

Can anyone suggest a real time anti malware program that might have caught the nasty ?

Many thanks

Ted

Edited by Orange Blossom, 26 May 2014 - 12:57 PM.
Moved to more appropriate forum. ~ OB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Crazy Cat

Crazy Cat

• Members
  • 808 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:14 PM

Posted 26 May 2014 - 09:35 PM

Best "Real Time Anti Malwareware" to avoid security risks: turn off your computer, and never use the Internet. :hysterical:

Seriously, there's a 'AntiVirus software' thread here somewhere?

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. ― Albert Einstein ― Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.

InternetDefenseLeague-footer-badge.png

#3 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,050 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:14 PM

Posted 26 May 2014 - 10:44 PM

....torrent "services" are a bit like that......somewhat like standing in front of a truck and hoping to dear god it doesnt hit you...

MBAM (malwarebytes) is probably as good as it gets...it has few,if any, peers.

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#4 FatherTed

FatherTed
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2014 - 12:34 AM

Hi Condobloke,

Thanks for that & I hear what you're saying! Up until the other day I'd been lucky but knew one day I'd probably pick something up & have to pay the price,

Cheers!

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,613 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:14 AM

Posted 28 May 2014 - 05:18 AM

Using any torrent, file sharing, peer-to-peer (P2P) program (i.e. Limewire, eMule, Kontiki, BitTorrent, BitComet, uTorrent, BitLord, BearShare, Azureus/Vuze, Skype, etc) or visiting such sites is a security risk which can make your system susceptible to a smörgåsbord of malware infections, remote attacks, exposure of personal information, and identity theft. In some cases the computer could be turned into a malware honeypot or zombie.

File sharing networks are thoroughly infested with malware according to security firm Norman ASA and many of them are unsafe to visit or use. The reason for this is that file sharing relies on its members giving and gaining unfettered access to computers across the P2P network. This practice can make you vulnerable to data and identity theft, system infection and remote access exploit by attackers who can take control of your computer without your knowledge.

...It is almost never safe to download executable programs from peer-to-peer file sharing networks because they are a major source of malware infections.

Software Cracks: A Great Way to Infect Your PC

Even if you change the risky default settings to a safer configuration, downloading files from an anonymous source increases your exposure to infection because the files you are downloading may actually contain a disguised threat. Users visiting such pages may see innocuous-looking banner ads containing code which can trigger pop-up ads and malicious Flash ads that install malware. Many malicious worms and Trojans, such as the Storm Worm, target and spread across P2P files sharing networks because of their known vulnerabilities.

Further some file sharing programs are bundled with other free software you may download (sometimes without the knowledge or consent of the user) and can be the source of various issues and problems to include Adware, and browser hijackers as well as malware.

Even the safest P2P file sharing programs that do not contain bundled spyware, still expose you to risks because of the very nature of the P2P file sharing process. By default, most P2P file sharing programs are configured to automatically launch at startup. They are also configured to allow other P2P users on the same network open access to a shared directory on your computer. The best way to eliminate these risks is to avoid using P2P applications and torrent web sites.Using P2P programs, file sharing or browsing torrent sites is almost a guaranteed way to get yourself infected!!

No amount of security software is going to defend against today's sophisticated malware writers for those who do not practice safe computing and stay informed. It has been proven time and again that the user is a more substantial factor in security than the architecture of the operating system or installed protection software. Security begins with personal responsibility and following Best Practices for Safe Computing. Knowledge and the ability to use it is the best defensive tool anyone can have.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#6 FatherTed

FatherTed
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2014 - 05:45 AM

Thanks, learnt my lesson!

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,613 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2014 - 06:51 AM

You're welcome on behalf of the Bleeping Computer community.

#8 RevGAM

RevGAM

• Members
  • 723 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:14 AM

Posted 28 May 2014 - 06:59 AM

Are you looking for a replacement for MBAM, or for MSE?

Namaste, Peace & Love,
Glenn

If I have frustrated you, then I must be a student. If I've imparted information or a skill to you, then I must be a teacher. If I've helped you, then I must be a volunteer. If I've touched your life, then I must be happy!
If you had to choose between saving just your family, or saving 10,000 GOOD people (but not your family), what would you choose?

#9 FatherTed

FatherTed
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2014 - 07:09 AM

Thought there might have been something better than MBAM which I still have but have also added Spybot S&D

I have been running MSE for the past couple of years & it seems to be effective so thought I'd carry on with that,

Thanks

#10 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,613 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2014 - 07:13 AM

There is no need to replace Malwarebytes Anti-Malware but I would recommend taking advantage of the Protection Module in the full version (Premium) which uses advanced heuristic scanning technology to monitor your system and provide real-time protection to prevent the installation of most new malware, Stopping Malware Distribution at the Source. This technology runs at startup where it monitors every process and helps stop malicious processes before they can infect your computer. Keep in mind that this feature does not guarantee something will not slip through as no product can detect and prevent every type of malware. The database that defines the heuristics is updated as often as there is something to add to it. Also keep in mind that Malwarebytes does not act as a real-time protection scanner for every file like an anti-virus program so it is intended to be a supplement, not a substitute.

Malicious Website Blocking (IP Protection) is part of the Protection Module and works after it is enabled. When attempting to go to a potential malicious website, Malwarebytes will block the attempt and provide an alert. IP Protection is also designed to block incoming connections it determines to be malicious. For information about Malicious Website Blocking (IP Protection), please refer to:

Those who purchase the full version receive a license key via email to activate the protection module. The license includes a lifetime of free upgrades and support. For corporate and business customers, annual licenses are required. After activation, Malwarebytes can be set to update itself and schedule scans automatically on a daily basis. The Protection Module is not intrusive as it utilizes few system resources and should not conflict with other scanners or anti-virus programs.

#11 FatherTed

FatherTed
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2014 - 07:29 AM

Thanks for that, appreciate the advice!

#12 RevGAM

RevGAM

• Members
  • 723 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2014 - 07:33 AM

FatherTed:  FYI, MSE isn't considered to be one of the best.

Qguy:  How do I get that lifetime of free upgrades and support?  The premium info states 1 year.  AFAIK, the lifetime deal no longer exists...?

Namaste, Peace & Love,
Glenn

If I have frustrated you, then I must be a student. If I've imparted information or a skill to you, then I must be a teacher. If I've helped you, then I must be a volunteer. If I've touched your life, then I must be happy!
If you had to choose between saving just your family, or saving 10,000 GOOD people (but not your family), what would you choose?

#13 FatherTed

FatherTed
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2014 - 07:38 AM

Oh...........as a silver surfer with little knowledge & who relies on recommendations, what free AV would you consider as one of the best?

Thanks

#14 RevGAM

RevGAM

• Members
  • 723 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2014 - 08:31 AM

I am currently trying to find that out but, as of yet, my discussion that includes that very topic hasn't been responded to.

I CAN say that, from looking at other topics of the same nature, and having asked Grinler, Kaspersky and ESET NOD32 are both highly recommended by the BC Team.  I also know that Emsisoft Antimalware (which is not a secondary program like MBAM but a main AV) is often recommended here.

As a caveat:  BC is an affiliate partner of Malwarebytes, SuperAntiSpyware and Emsisoft.

Further, many articles here recommend Avira, Avast! and AVG, but I don't see many of the experts here recommending them in discussions in the forums (but maybe I need to look harder).

According to Quietman, AVG partnered with Limewire, a point-to-point (PTP) music-sharing program, and there is thus concern as to AVG's quality and standards since PTP is a common infection vector.  I used to use AVG but it was eventually defeated by malware.  This was back around 2008.

I then went to Avira Free, and it was even more easily defeated.

I then BOUGHT Bitdefender and was relatively pleased, but it was not perfectly able to keep my system clean and eventually I was out of cash so I went to Avast!.

I tried out Emsisoft's Antimalware (EAM) as well as Emsisoft's Online Armor (EOA) a year or so ago on a one-year license and, while I thought it did a really good job, it destabilized my system (which may be because it has a dual engine and because my system had problems and not enough RAM).  If I had a better system and money, I'd certainly consider EAM.

I have since used Avast! and it hasn't kept everything out of my system until now.  I combine it with Spybot 2, which has some active features for free users that MBAM and SAS don't give for free.

The truth is, if you want something free, you're in the same boat as me - you're unlikely to find something that is really going to keep all the bad software out - even if you're careful.  There's just too much malware, too many hackers and phreakers, and too many people willing to turn to cybercrime for money.  Even buying a program doesn't guarantee you 100% protection.  As Quietman is quick to point out - the weakest point in a good system is always the user.  Well, he doesn't say it that way, but that's the gist of it.

If Grinler, Quietman and other BC experts are saying go with ESET NOD32 or Kaspersky, I'd say give them a good looking over.  If you want to buy MBAM, SAS or EAM, support BC by buying through their affiliate links. (shameless plug for the people who help us all!).

I really wish I could give you better advice.  If I do get more info, I'll try to let you know.  Best of luck!

Namaste, Peace & Love,
Glenn

#15 xXToffeeXx

xXToffeeXx

Bleepin' Polar Bear

• Malware Response Instructor
  • 6,085 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:14 PM

Posted 28 May 2014 - 09:20 AM

Further, many articles here recommend Avira, Avast! and AVG, but I don't see many of the experts here recommending them in discussions in the forums (but maybe I need to look harder).

Many of those articles are at least a few years old. When it comes to free protection then most people here would recommend Avast or Avira, some of the staff here use these programs and are perfectly happy. They are definitely not bad programs, but I guess the fact that Avira bundles with Ask automatically puts people off it. AVG used to be a good program (when it was owned by Ginsoft), but it hasn't really been recommended recently. Its partnership with Limewire, the fact that it advertises it's TuneUp tools which are just a hyped up registry cleaner and the fact that its protection is beaten by other free AVs among other reasons is why most of us would not recommend it. 

What posts (out of interest) are you referring to that mention AVG?

xXToffeeXx~

~If I am helping you and you have not had a reply from me in two days, please send me a PM~

logo-25.pngID Ransomware - Identify What Ransomware Encrypted Your Files [Support Topic] - If we have helped you out and you want to support what we do, you can do so here

~Twitter~ | ~Malware Analyst at Emsisoft~

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users