Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Novice

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
26 replies to this topic

#1 Yony

Yony

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 AM

Posted 26 May 2014 - 12:06 PM

Hi 

​    User name Yony not a clue what I am doing here Guy's & Girls' Working with MBAM at the moment & my adviser / help on line has asked me to back up my PC! have heard of it for years but really not sure what it means! is it external equipment or do I have software in my PC please!

• Windows 7
  • Home premium
  • 64 Bit 
  • Microsoft security essentials at the moment??
  • Sky Firewall
  • ​I have inadvertently whilst working with him too rid my PC of Linkey by Aztec Media lost every thing photos, videos doc's  etc that's been on here for 5 years or more! & he is doing something that is Beta to help me recover & I cannot or do not think it is fair as he has been on this case with me for 5 weeks or more that I do every thing by his request! & not really known what Back up is although if PC has asked I have! but not a clue where it goes how to find it?? Really I am that bad! So his latest request is to back everything up before we use MBAM "Root kit" tool that I have instructions how to use! & is to my desk top! but dont know how to back up before I start ! Many thanks' Yony'

Edited by Orange Blossom, 26 May 2014 - 12:18 PM.
Moved to Windows 7. ~ OB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 AM

Posted 26 May 2014 - 12:42 PM

Welcome,

To "back up" your computer is to make a copy of everything on your hard drive to a separate / safe location. This requires both software and hardware.

Windows has most of the necessary software already included in W7. The hardware portion is a bit more involved. Usually an external hard drive or an online provider anf necessary.

How much [in MB or GB] are you trying to backup? Do you have the installation disks for W7?

Keep us posted

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,918 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:35 AM

Posted 26 May 2014 - 07:28 PM

To expand a little on what Dicke has said. The stuff that matters on any computer is your stuff. You can always re-install operating systems and applications - that is merely a tedious PITA.

What you have to have backed up is your own work - photos, music, documents, graphics, whatever you have created or stored on the computer. If you lose this there is no way to replace it unless you have backups. For example, you cannot go back and re-shoot your children's birthday parties - if you lose these photos, they are gone.

To take a concrete and recently painful example, two or three months ago I accidentally wiped a 500 Gb drive that had about 350 Gb of data on it. This included my entire personal photo collection but because I had everything but the last three months or so of photos backed up, I was able to replace them. The only significant loss was my music collection, which wasn't backed up.

It is possible, as I am sure Dicke will explain, to make a complete image of your hard drive(s). Given that you are dealing with malware that is on your computer already that may or may not be a good idea - but back up your own personal data anyway. That can always be scanned before replacing it back on your computer.

Oh, and I wiped the hard drive through the usual causes - laziness, stupidity and carelessness !

Chris Cosgrove

#4 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2014 - 08:47 PM

OK Yony,

Your turn. What do you have and what must you save.

Keep us posted

Dick E

#5 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,410 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:35 PM

Posted 26 May 2014 - 09:25 PM

Given that you are dealing with malware that is on your computer already that may or may not be a good idea - but back up your own personal data anyway. That can always be scanned before replacing it back on your computer
The only significant loss was my music collection, which wasn't backed up.

It is still better to have a "dirty" back up than no backup at all. As long as you know its "dirty".

And depending on type of malware it may be less painfull to restore and clean up than clean install . In my opinion anyway.

Edited by NickAu1, 26 May 2014 - 09:30 PM.

#6 Yony

Yony
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2014 - 12:57 PM

All

Thankyou all for a very prompt reply! I sat last night & wrote quite an extensive list of when my problems started & what I did & where I was up to, I have then gone else where on the PC without saving it! & now cannot find it?? Yes people I am that bad!!! I see on the bottom of this there is auto save, so could my report to you still be somewhere? for me to send! I have not got the time at the moment to start my list again, so just saying thanks alot & I not dimissing your eagerness to help me!

Thanks again

#7 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2014 - 02:40 PM

Hi,

If you were online here and moved away from your message without posting it there is a possibility that the autosave has it as a draft. When you click on the reply button again you should see a box asking if you want ot post or delete the draft.

Good luck

Dick E

#8 Yony

Yony
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2014 - 03:42 PM

Dick E

Do not want to sound negative but cannot find "reply" & on this "Toolbar" there is no draft icon or whatever it is called! I really am sorry if I am a pain mate! just that I am sure I will have to re-write etc!!! & am pretty confident I have lost earlier history!! ust going through some things & sent to "William" @ MBAM that I think he is just proving that LINKEY by AZTEC MEDIA has gone? then I guess he will "Split from me! & I will come back to you guy's & girls to tell you where I am at! I just have that Horrible feeling I have deleted the lot? & you mebs could set me some tasks just to prove that horrible feeling I have Dick E: If I may just bung you a couple of simple questions please in using this site I would be grateful!

• To keep this topic alive do I need to press Multi - Quote when replying? as I guess you folk have thousands of "Lunatics" like me to deal with?? & I am not sure how it arrives back to you with all the rest of your help to others!
  • Apoligies up front I may be soon asking real "Dumb" things! but this incedent has made me realise that although I have had a desktop for years! what has cost me here is simalar to buying something new & not reading the instruction manual! like some of us "Big heads do" & muddle through! but this one has bitten me where it hurts! & I gotta get my act together! so expect some really basic questions!

Many thanks again for your interest! & put me on the Work in Progress Pile probably under "Dumbo's your end!! Yony!

Hi,

If you were online here and moved away from your message without posting it there is a possibility that the autosave has it as a draft. When you click on the reply button again you should see a box asking if you want ot post or delete the draft.

Good luck

#9 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,918 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2014 - 05:35 PM

Don't worry - the reply button is right at the top of the topic on the right hand side below the BC banner.

However, since we are waiting for an indication of how much data you want to back up, here's a rough guide to storage media :

Single layer DVDs (very cheap) - 4.5 Gb each

Memory sticks - currently available to 32 Gb,and, more expensively, 64 Gb

External hard drives - up to 2 Tb+ widely available,  about £100 for a 2Tb model

I have never made an image of a drive, I am hoping Dicke can cover that, but there is software like Macrium Reflect to do the job. I normally do my backups just by dragging and dropping in Windows Explorer. Data transfer rates are the biggest problem. The next computer I build myself will definitely have USB 3 !

Chris Cosgrove

#10 Yony

Yony
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2014 - 03:34 AM

Chris

Thanks for your help & interest' & from now on if you understood my last reply, I must before I do anything Chris ask some basic question's' & so it does not get confusing for your selves & me just "Bullet point if that'ok? as I sometimes read back & realise I that not being the "sharpest knife in the box" I can confuse things! & too late when I have hit that send button! Chris thanks & I am going to start with what you sent me thank's very much!

• Single layer DVDs I have never heard of & I suppose that they are "Blank disks? that where I have heard the term "Burn" which I have never done!
  • I do have some memory sticks but not really sure how to use them, but obviously Google or listen too your advice'trying not too be be too much of a pain as it is not BC fault that the last ten years or more just used my PC as an iternet tool! hitting save & struggling later to find things in files etc later! but struggled through! & feel that one source of proper advice better than me searching all over?
  • Ex Hard drives I do know what they are! & guess TB means "Tera byte" dont laugh? I dont know Chris' I am smiling & wondering what you must be thinking! Sorry! umm! I do need to sort a few finances out as now out of work?? & never ever been out of employment for over 45yrs so just all a bit up in the air! but that's not BC problem! & I want to know all tools available please!

Your last Paragraph please keep sending such stuff as I can look up & read about some of the terminoligy you use Thanks!  then I can ask later when I get my get my feet back to Earth! I have fallen into that trap Chris of what I used preach!! " A little knowledge being dangerous" & suppose been lucky that I managed to keep things ticking over with my desk top as long as I did' & now realise that there is getting some pretty bad & clever "Bugs" out there!

Many thanks again Yony

#11 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2014 - 07:01 AM

Yony said,

"

• To keep this topic alive do I need to press Multi - Quote when replying? as I guess you folk have thousands of "Lunatics" like me to deal with?? & I am not sure how it arrives back to you with all the rest of your help to others!

As long as there's activity the thread will remain oopen. I'm not sure how many days of inactivity it takes before the lock is applied [automatically] I'm going to guess maybe 30. That shouldn't be a problem as you can always start another thread. They're free :)

• Apoligies up front I may be soon asking real "Dumb" things! but this incedent has made me realise that although I have had a desktop for years! what has cost me here is simalar to buying something new & not reading the instruction manual! like some of us "Big heads do" & muddle through! but this one has bitten me where it hurts! & I gotta get my act together! so expect some really basic questions!

Reading the instruction manual has always been my last priority. I do that only when all else has failed. Most of what I've learned about 'fixing' has come from having broken something first.

When you're ready to begin again I'm sure we can provide you with some simple, easy to follow ways to avoid most of the problems that happen. Noone is going to promise that yu will never have another problem or that you will not be infected.

Many thanks again for your interest! & put me on the Work in Progress Pile probably under "Dumbo's your end!! Yony!

We'll be here when you need us. Til then

Stay well and surf safe

Edited by hamluis, 29 May 2014 - 09:58 AM.

Dick E

#12 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,918 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2014 - 10:15 AM

OK - clarification !

DVDs come in two capacities - single and dual layer. Single layer DVDs hold about 4.5 Gb of data on one layer and are cheap. I buy mine in batches of 100 because I ship a lot of data around and they cost me about £ 15 / 100. Dual layer DVDs hold a little more than 8 Gb but are relatively expensive - about 40 or 50p each, again buying in lots of 50.

Tb is the standard abbreviation for terabyte and is equal to 1000 Gb (gigabytes). Or equivalent to about 225 single layer DVDs !

There is a wonderful utility in Windows called Windows Explorer for managing and moving / copying / deleting files, I use it intensively! Since you have Win 7, you probably have an icon for it on the taskbar, usually between Internet Explorer and Windows Media Player. If you don't, right click on the start button then click on 'Explore' in the small pop-up menu. You can make the Explorer window any convenient size.

I have my Win Explorer set to the 'List' option wherever it will allow me - at the top right of the window you will see a symbol with a drop down arrow beside it. If you click on that, 'List' is one of the options. If you then go to 'Organise' at the left hand side you can choose to set all windows of that type to open in 'List'.

When Win Explorer opens, the default view is looking at your libraries. If, like most people, you keep your documents in 'Documents library' and your photos in 'Pictures library' and so on, if you right click on each library in turn then select 'Properties' from the pop-up menu it will tell you the amount of data in that library - 270 Mb, 3.5 Gb, 183 Gb as examples. This will give you a good idea how much storage you need. See post #9.

If your data is not in the libraries - and mine isn't - go and do the same to the folders where you do keep it.

If you decide to use either USB memory sticks or a USB connected external drive for back, then Win Explorer is your friend. Insert the USB drive into a convenient socket and let autoplay do its thing and stop it. Start up Windows Explorer and you will see the drive you have just plugged in. Then you just use 'drag and drop' to copy the files and folders you want to back up to the external USB memory.

'Drag and Drop' - If you are not familiar with this. First open Win Explorer then find a folder (or a file) that you want to back up. Click on it and hold the left button down, then move the cursor to the external drive you want to copy it to, keeping the button down all the time. You will see that the folder moves with the cursor. When you have the cursor over the external drive which is your target, release the button and the folder will be copied into it. This is easier to do if you have your computer set to Classic view rather than Aero because you don't get the large blurring box around the folder when you move it, but the difference is small. This process COPIES files and folders, the original is left where it was and a copy is placed in your backup.

If you decide that DVDs will meet your needs, you CAN use Win Explorer to 'burn' them, but I find it 'clunky' and inflexible. For simple data backups I prefer to use CD/DVD burning software like 'Free Easy Burner' which is a free download - google for it - but there are plenty of other choices.

Start the burning software, put a DVD in the drive and it will recognise it. Then make sure that you have selected 'Data DVD' as the output type and you will have a screen to add files and folders to the DVD. Browse for the folders you want and add them to the list, up to the capacity of the DVD, then click 'Burn'. You will then get a screen where you set the burning conditions, normally just accept the defaults, and click 'Burn now' and it will start to burn the data to the DVD. A full 4.5Gb of data takes about 7 or 8 minutes to burn, time to put the kettle on.

And that is backing up data in a nutshell. There are other ways of doing it, as I said you can make a complete image of a drive, but that is the simple way of making sure you have your data backed up.

You made some remark about 'files and folders' all over the place. This is going to make life a bit harder for you. If you really want it I will provide my lecture on organising storage another day, but don't get me started on that!  I have strong feelings on the subject that if you go to the effort of saving a file it is because you may want to refer to it in the future, which means being able to find it again !

Chris Cosgrove

#13 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,410 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:35 PM

Posted 29 May 2014 - 06:21 PM

Dual layer DVDs hold a little more than 8 Gb

Can they be used for backup, Eg cloning a HDD?

#14 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2014 - 09:32 PM

NickAu1,

I've never tried it but with the right software to span the disks with the data being backed up it should work.

Dick E

#15 wing987

wing987

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:35 AM

Posted 30 May 2014 - 04:20 PM

Dual layer DVDs hold a little more than 8 Gb

Can they be used for backup, Eg cloning a HDD?

Yes they can be if you have the correct software to span disks. BUT it is cheaper and easier to use a flash or external anymore, disks are fading away like casette tapes and 8-track.

-- Windows 7 Ultimate on custom built system, Windows 10 on under powered laptop. Sophos UTM 9, Ubuntu Server and Windows Server 2008 R2. HyperV Virtualization --

"The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in a period of moral crisis maintain their neutrality," John F. Kennedy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users