Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

problems with Ubuntu 12.04

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 davey crockett

davey crockett

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:12 AM

Posted 26 May 2014 - 11:16 AM

Hello - I am having problems with an 8 year old acer laptop that I installed Ubuntu on, to replace windows xp. It worked great for the first while, but is now bogging down and running poorly. I would really like to just reinstall the Ubuntu using the usb flash drive. I gather that means formatting the hard drive. Does anyone know of a fairly straight forward means of doing this - or is it dicey for someone with limited skills?

Edited by hamluis, 26 May 2014 - 11:57 AM.
Moved from XP to Linux - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 scotty_ncc1701

scotty_ncc1701

• Members
  • 520 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 AM

Posted 26 May 2014 - 12:26 PM

I actually urge you to use LUBUNTU, depending on your memory in the 8-year old computer, which I suspect is at most 2GB.  LUBUNTU only requires a minimum 128 MB of RAM, and it FLIES.  The more memory, the better.  It gives you the appearance of close to Windows, but not exact.

You can download it at:

http://lubuntu.net/

Best of luck.

Edited by scotty_ncc1701, 26 May 2014 - 12:26 PM.

#3 davey crockett

davey crockett
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2014 - 12:33 PM

OK thanks - I will give that a try..

#4 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,247 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:12 PM

Posted 26 May 2014 - 08:12 PM

You only have Ubuntu on HDD?  And wanna do a clean install? Easy.

Insert the usb, Let the PC boot.

Select install Lubuntu ( for example)

When you see the screen that asks you what/how you want to install lubuntu, Select the replace everything option. Linux will take care of the rest, formating the drive and installing the OS. 1 suggestion I make is that when installing linux, Plug in any printers  that way linux detects them during install, also make sure your pc is connected to the net during install and select get updates during install.

FYI.

First thing you do when your PC first boots that brand new linux that you just installed is.

Open terminal and type sudo ufw enable this will start your firewall and create a script that will start your firewall each time you boot up.

Enable and Disable

Enable UFW

To turn UFW on with the default set of rules:

sudo ufw enable

To check the status of UFW:

sudo ufw status verbose

The output should be like this:

youruser@yourcomputer:~$ sudo ufw status verbose
[sudo] password for youruser:
Logging: on (low)
Default: deny (incoming), allow (outgoing)
New profiles: skip
youruser@yourcomputer:~$

Edited by NickAu1, 26 May 2014 - 08:17 PM.

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

#5 davey crockett

davey crockett
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2014 - 10:26 AM

I'm using Ubuntu 12.04 as the current o s. I have lubuntu 14.04 on both a usb flash drive and also burnt it to a DVD. When I try using F2 key during start up, and tell it to boot using the slimdrive DVD, it just starts with the current 12.04. If I go to use the usb - it tells me the drive is not ready and tells me to either press the s key, to stop mounting, or m key to recover manually. I was hoping to have the pc give me the option, as when I first installed Ubuntu a couple months ago, to try the new o s, and then install it later on. Would anyone know if a)  one version of Ubuntu lets me try another like this),  B) or b)how do I reformat the thing with 14.04? I don't know much on how to even open a terminal and if I start typing commands I'll probably fry the thing, so I'm maybe over my head..

Edited by davey crockett, 27 May 2014 - 10:27 AM.

#6 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,015 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2014 - 01:25 PM

It may be that your drive is showing signs of wear & tear, they all do at some point, oftentimes with no warning. If this is your case, at least you're getting notice.

There should be some hard drive benchmarking tools within the Ubuntu menu that will show SMART status, if possible, run the tool. Here's some additional information.

http://neanderslob.com/2013/10/06/how-to-check-the-health-of-ones-hard-disk-a-step-by-step-pictoral-tutorial/

http://askubuntu.com/questions/38566/how-can-i-check-the-health-of-my-hard-drive

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=893905

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Smartmontools

Hope that these links are of some help. Also & this will help with performance, if it hasn't been cleaned already, grab a can of compressed air & blow short blasts into the vent grooves. If possible, remove both the hard drive & optical, plus any RAM covers if present, so that the dust can escape. If the fins near the grooves are clogged with dust, the computer will run hot & performance will suffer, even if the OS is installed to a Flash drive. Eventually it'll kill it altogether if not cleaned. Note that this is a quick fix & for a really good cleaning, some removal of other components, such as the keyboard are needed. However this will serve as a test to determine if dust buildup is causing it to act up & get you off the side of the road.

Another sign of this will be that the power supply will be hotter than normal, sometimes much more so. Every time that I've performed this on a never cleaned computer (that hadn't became damaged), everything ran cooler & faster. Dust buildup is a heat insulator, which is a known destroyer of electronics of all types. Any computer tech that's worthy of bearing the title will agree on this. Yet some does a half hearted job of cleaning, especially those at retailers who performs repairs (such as GeekSquad "techs", which they self proclaim themselves as).

All computers requires internal cleaning as general maintenance at least once every 2-3 years, if in a dusty home or area, yearly. This may include the need to remove & clean the heatsink really good (hot water through the fins), clean the surface that rests on the CPU/GPU with alcohol or nail polish remover & dry fully, plus the surfaces of the CPU/GPU (gently) & reapply a good brand of thermal paste in an small amount. Less is more & temps should plunge afterwards.

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#7 davey crockett

davey crockett
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2014 - 08:48 PM

Thanks for the info. I will try some of these links, no doubt blowing out some dust can't hurt. :trumpet: 

#8 globalinternethostin

globalinternethostin

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2014 - 07:46 AM

8 years old? dont blame linux. old systems have old hdd's and tend to fragnfrak apart. in addition to that, the NEW BROWSERS DEMAND SO MUCH POWER & RESOURCES that older systems are EASILY OVERWHELMED.

#9 scotty_ncc1701

scotty_ncc1701

• Members
  • 520 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2014 - 09:52 AM

globalinternethostin:

I agree with you. My Toshiba Laptop is about 7-8 years old, and it's being held together with chewing gum and duct tape (hahahahaha). The last time I researched (it's been quite a bit of time) hard drives (at least IDEs) have an expected life of about 5000 hours, or about 5 years.

One USB port is flaky, the CD/DVD has gone out. Although I have my wife's old LapTop that went out, I see no reason to go through the hassle seeing of the CD/DVD from her old Toshiba would work in mine. I my old Toshiba will be dead by the end of the year.

My old Toshiba was never able to boot from USB, because of the Model. It makes me wonder if davey crockett's has the same limitation. As I said above, one of my USB drives is acting flaky, so I went out some time ago, and bought a USB hub, and used it in the good USB port without an issue.

Davey Crockett, the "bad" flash drive could be caused by a USB port going out. Check it in another port, if you haven't aready. If it works, and all your USB ports are in use, get a USB hub. They vary in price:

http://wwwndc.walmart.com/cp/Hubs-USB-Gagets/1074266

The one I have is:

http://wwwndc.walmart.com/ip/Onn-Travel-USB-Hub/16795002

I've had no problems with it.

Best of luck.

Edited by scotty_ncc1701, 07 June 2014 - 09:53 AM.

#10 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,015 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2014 - 06:37 PM

I bought one of the very same ones listed above at Newegg for $3.99 w/Free shipping. This one. 

http://wwwndc.walmart.com/ip/Belkin-F5U407TT-4-Port-USB-2.0-Ultra-Mini-Hub/13062577

Still in use today after more than 2 years. WalMart has a selection of these items, as well as other accessories, such as cables, they're way overpriced. For example, I bought a total of five Cat6 Ethernet cables at Newegg for less than the cost of one 15-16ft Cat5e (last decade technology) cable that WalMart wanted $18+ tax for. Got all five from Newegg for less than $16 shipped. Plus higher rated ones to boot. Download speeds afterwards proved Cat6 to be superior. It was like a step up in service level for free. 

It's the same with backup drives at WalMart, many on the ones sold there for $75-$100 can be found for $25-$35 less at Newegg w/free shipping. I suppose it's a matter of how bad one needs the item. 

Hopefully the OP is happy with Ubuntu.  :guitar:

Cat

On the other hand, I have found a few things at WalMart that was discontinued, such as a 6 pack of Imation RW DVD's for $5, there was a whole box of them. Had I known how good they were, I'd have bought at least 5 packages. These have been written over time & time again, a couple shows wear, but still works. Those kind of deals, canned air & CMOS batteries (2 packs of CR2032's for less than $5) are the type of computer related items that I grab from WalMart. 

The rest, I grab online. 

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users