Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Phone calls from Microsoft?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 twomilepost

twomilepost

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:43 PM

Posted 26 May 2014 - 08:17 AM

The person says my computer has beeb hyjacked

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,718 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:13 PM

Posted 26 May 2014 - 08:20 AM

Scammers. Microsoft will never call you like this.

#3 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:13 AM

Posted 26 May 2014 - 10:39 AM

Yes it's a scam, often operated from India.  They will want you to allow remote access to your computer.  If you allow this, if you are lucky they scam you out of a few hundred dollars for nothing. If you are unlucky they'll install rubbish on your PC and/or delete personal files.  Best advice is to hang up.

This is a bit long but shows how they operate very well (Microsoft scammer recorded calling Malwarebytes developer).

7sbvuf-6.png

#4 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:13 PM

Posted 26 May 2014 - 12:32 PM

I second the advice given. MS is much too busy to call you, or me or most everyone else.

I'm not all tht comfortable granting access even when I have called tech support and know who I'm talking with.

Stay well and surf safe

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#5 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:08:13 PM

Posted 26 May 2014 - 01:40 PM

There is no way Microsoft will know if your computer is infected or has other problems.

#6 twomilepost

twomilepost
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:43 PM

Posted 26 May 2014 - 02:05 PM

Thanks folks was not sure. I use trend maximum internet althought nothing is 100%

#7 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2014 - 02:16 PM

When you need help - YOU call for it. They don't call and offer to 'help' you    :thumbsup:

Dick E

#8 Mistersprinkles

Mistersprinkles

• Banned
  • 118 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2014 - 04:04 PM

Haha. The Microsuck scam. They called me a couple of times. I strung them along for about half an hour before finally saying "Hang on, I think I know what's wrong here, I have a Mac!" and they hung up on me. 

#9 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,848 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:13 PM

Posted 26 May 2014 - 06:59 PM

LOL. They called me once, So I played with them, Even allowing them acess to my pc,  And I quote " Oh I am sorry sir but your PC is so badly infected, The files have been renamed oh my gosh it is a mess what is this root folder? this must be a virus"  After 5 minutes of this I got fed up and explained " You clown you have been looking at my PC for 5 minutes telling me my Windows is kaput and are too stupid to realise you are looking at Puppy Linux running from a live disk" they hung up never had a call since.

#10 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2014 - 08:50 PM

Shame on you NickAu1. You were taking advantage of a disadvantaged individual. Love it!

Dick E

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users