Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

acer R7 Connectivity Issues - limited connectivity

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 jtaquatic

jtaquatic

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:42 PM

Posted 26 May 2014 - 08:12 AM

Hello,

I am not certain what is relevant information, but this is an acer R7-571 with Windows 8.1. Though I can find networks when out and about, say at Starbucks or something, I cannot connect to them. It comes back with the response that the "connection is limited". This happens at friends' houses as well, using their password to join the network it always says connection limited and then I cannot get on the web.

I have tried all of the fixes that I could find thus far, but have had no success. I know, this is vague, I don't recall what I was doing, but through searching you can find some "solutions" but unfortunately they have not worked for me.

Currently I am trying to access a VPN using CiscoAnyconnect and this does not work either, is this connected to my other issue? The failure with the VPN is that "The VPN connection failed due to unsuccessful domain name resolution".

Thanks for any help, Terry

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2014 - 04:52 PM

Welcome,

To use VPN you must be known by the server you are trying to reach. I've used VPN to connect from home to my work network. I needed the information from our IT department to reach our servers and they had to grant me access so that the domain would allow me to play.

Have you done any configuration to your network card as far as DNS servers or any of the other parameters available?

Keep us posted

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 jtaquatic

jtaquatic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2014 - 06:54 PM

I have not done any configuration to my network card.

I have gotten the VPN to work - I was missing a crucial step with that.

So I am home, access seems normal, but it says "limited". I had read somewhere about my comp not creating new IP's or something, IDK, this over my head.

#4 Frozwire

Frozwire

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:42 PM

Posted 26 May 2014 - 11:24 PM

You might have configured your adapter with a static IP. Try to configure it with dynamic (obtain automatically) IP addressing.

"Encryption...is a powerful defensive weapon for free people. It offers a technical guarantee of privacy, regardless of who is running the government... It's hard to think of a more powerful, less dangerous tool for liberty...” - Esther Dyson

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users