Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

upgrading hard drive: sshd vs. more space?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 swann

swann

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:01 AM

Posted 25 May 2014 - 11:38 PM

Hi--I've just learned in another thread here that my hard drive is pretty close to completely dying, so it seems to me like my best option right now is to buy a new drive and clone everything over as quickly as possible while it's still functioning okay.  In looking at replacement drives, I'm wondering which is the better option: going for an SSHD hybrid (I don't think I want to go for a full SSD, given how expensive and relatively small they are) with about 500GB or getting a plain old HDD but with tons of space, a TB or so.  It's for a laptop which I'll be using for normal everyday internet stuff as well as a lot of photo editing and design work (Photoshop/Illustrator/Indesign), if that affects anything. My options are a little limited because this is for a very thin laptop, so it needs to be a 7mm drive (hence the choice between speed or space).

Sorry if this is a totally obvious dumb question, I've never upgraded a hard drive before!  Thanks for any advice you can offer.

Edited by swann, 25 May 2014 - 11:42 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,837 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:01 PM

Posted 25 May 2014 - 11:57 PM

My advice is Fit the biggest fastest drive you can afford. 

If your Laptop has a DVD drive, You may be able to have both a 120 GB ssd to run the operating system and a cheap 1TB drive for storage. There are kits on the market that allow you to remove the DVD drive from a laptop and replace it with a HDD.

Mind you this would require some skill to fit and would void any warranty.

Edited by NickAu1, 25 May 2014 - 11:59 PM.

#3 swann

swann
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2014 - 12:00 AM

No DVD drive I'm afraid--any extra storage would have to be external.

#4 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,837 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2014 - 12:29 AM

Heres how I set my Laptop up. You could do worse than the way I did it.

I got a 256 GBSSD  yes 7mm, Installed my Operating system from a clean install then did a back up, Then I  set it up with all the software and stuff I wanted, Music, Video clips and all everything I use on a daily basis Grand total of 110 GB even allowing for 50 GB free space that the SSD needs I still have lots of space for other stuff, And if I do not then I can plug in a USB HDD.  I even keep movies on my SSD when I go away. 

While they are a bit more expensive they are not as "delicate" as some may think, Most come with a 3 to 5 year warranty, And the companys that make SSD's are not stupid they know that on avarage most of those drives will outlast the warranty.

Edited by NickAu1, 26 May 2014 - 12:33 AM.

#5 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2014 - 12:33 AM

Hi, the SSHD would be the better option as the SSD aspect will make the system much responsive and if you are concerned with 500GB storage, there is 1TB SSHD from Seagate.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#6 swann

swann
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2014 - 01:19 AM

Cool, that's kind of what I thought would be the answer.  And it's not as if 500GB isn't plenty already as it is.  Thanks!

#7 RevGAM

RevGAM

• Members
  • 723 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:01 AM

Posted 26 May 2014 - 03:32 AM

Just wanted to add a note.  Some laptops have restrictions on how many GBs/TBs they can handle.  This used to be a big problem in the past but now it's more a problem with RAM than HDDs.  Nevertheless, it pays to check for any stupid restrictions on HDD size that may (hopefully not) exist on your laptop.

I agree with the advice that it's better to get the largest HDD you can afford to put in your system and then have an external that is larger for backups.  If you want to increase the system speed, put an SSHD in the computer and use a standard HDD for the backup, but if the SSHD is faster than the slowest key component of your system accessing either an internal or external HDD, it isn't going to be much of a help.  If your system is slower than the SSDD you want, use it for backups and put a standard HDD that matches the speed of the system (or better) inside, or splurge and use SSDDs for both. :)

I hope this helps and good luck!

Namaste, peace & love,

Glenn

Namaste, Peace & Love,
Glenn

If I have frustrated you, then I must be a student. If I've imparted information or a skill to you, then I must be a teacher. If I've helped you, then I must be a volunteer. If I've touched your life, then I must be happy!
If you had to choose between saving just your family, or saving 10,000 GOOD people (but not your family), what would you choose?

#8 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2014 - 04:59 AM

Cool, that's kind of what I thought would be the answer.  And it's not as if 500GB isn't plenty already as it is.  Thanks!

Upon looking further into the SSHD, it seems the Seagate SSHD 1TB is not 7mm but the standard 9mm unfortunately, only the 500GB model is 7mm.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#9 swann

swann
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2014 - 05:04 AM

Okay, neat.  I've kind of run myself round in circles trying to figure out how this is going to work, though (please tell me if I should make a new thread for this).

I have all my documents, music, etc. backed up.  My plan is to buy the new hard drive, and once it arrives, wipe my current/failing one and use the built-in Windows 8 factory reinstall to get everything as clean as possible (not worried about the bloatware atm).  My laptop doesn't have an optical drive, so then plugging in the new drive via an enclosure, formatting it etc., and cloning over the old drive (which will be pretty much just OS) onto the new one using EaseUS Todo.  Then dismantling everything, take out the dying drive, swap in the new one, and reloading all my personal junk from my external drive/cloud backups.  Is this, um, feasible?  At first it seemed obvious but I've read so many different accounts that I'm worried I've missed something.  

#10 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2014 - 05:34 AM

I have all my documents, music, etc. backed up.  My plan is to buy the new hard drive, and once it arrives, wipe my current/failing one and use the built-in Windows 8 factory reinstall to get everything as clean as possible (not worried about the bloatware atm).  My laptop doesn't have an optical drive, so then plugging in the new drive via an enclosure, formatting it etc., and cloning over the old drive (which will be pretty much just OS) onto the new one using EaseUS Todo.  Then dismantling everything, take out the dying drive, swap in the new one, and reloading all my personal junk from my external drive/cloud backups.  Is this, um, feasible?  At first it seemed obvious but I've read so many different accounts that I'm worried I've missed something.  

You are certainly spot on and all the steps you have pointed is how you would typically go about with it :)

Edited by killerx525, 26 May 2014 - 07:00 AM.

>Michael 

#11 swann

swann
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2014 - 05:39 AM

Awesome! Sorry, not as good with computers as I'd like to be.  Thanks everyone for your advice!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users