Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HP Pavilion dv2 laptop hibernates due to streaming video

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 RevGAM

RevGAM

• Members
  • 723 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:01 PM

Posted 25 May 2014 - 10:32 PM

HP Pavilion dv2 series

AMD Athlon Neo X2 Dual Core Processor L335 1.6GHz

2Gb RAM

W7 Home Premium SP1

Avast! Free

MBAM Free (not real-time)

Spybot 2 Free

WinPatrol Free

Google Chrome

K-Lite Codec pack

Laptop fan stand

A few months ago, my laptop started having trouble.  When I start watching streaming video, after a couple of minutes the screen goes black(!) as if it no longer has a video signal (whether I used the built-in or an external monitor it happens), the indicator lights (HDD activity, etc.) blink for a while and then the computer turns off - I guess in hibernate mode.  After that, I can turn it back on, and it shows "Resuming Windows".  Then, I can watch as many videos as I want back-to-back, but if I take a break for a while and come back, the same thing happens again.  I haven't tried any other browsers.

I have determined this is not the power management settings since I'm doing this with the computer plugged in, although I wonder if this might have something to do with the battery or the video RAM.

Any thoughts?

Namaste, peace & love,

Glenn

Edit: I tried searching HP and other sites for info on this phenomenon but didn't get any hits that matched my problem.

Edited by RevGAM, 25 May 2014 - 10:33 PM.

Namaste, Peace & Love,
Glenn

If I have frustrated you, then I must be a student. If I've imparted information or a skill to you, then I must be a teacher. If I've helped you, then I must be a volunteer. If I've touched your life, then I must be happy!
If you had to choose between saving just your family, or saving 10,000 GOOD people (but not your family), what would you choose?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RevGAM

RevGAM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 723 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2014 - 12:04 PM

It's been 4 days with no response.  Is this in the wrong discussion area?  Should I move it to Windows 7 or Hardware?  Please advise.

Namaste, Peace & Love,
Glenn

If I have frustrated you, then I must be a student. If I've imparted information or a skill to you, then I must be a teacher. If I've helped you, then I must be a volunteer. If I've touched your life, then I must be happy!
If you had to choose between saving just your family, or saving 10,000 GOOD people (but not your family), what would you choose?

#3 RevGAM

RevGAM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 723 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2014 - 12:00 PM

Since it's been a week without any response, I've figured that this question is outside the expertise of people here.  Please close it as I've posted it on HP's forum in the hopes they'll have the answer.

Namaste, Peace & Love,
Glenn

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users