Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bluetooth Issues

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#1 xXAlphaXx

xXAlphaXx

• Members
  • 867 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:51 PM

Posted 25 May 2014 - 07:59 PM

So I was having some problems with my mouse, I tried to remove the mouse and then re-pair it which usually fixes the issue. However, when I try to remove the device I get the error "Remove Failed". I have uninstalled the mouse driver from the device manager, which allows bluetooth to find and "pair" the mouse but it is always in "not connected" state so I try removing it again and no go. 

I have tried uninstalling all of the driver software for bluetooth but that seems to do nothing. Weirdly enough when removing the intel drivers and allowing windows to install the generic driver, the mouse is still listed in the bluetooth menu.

I'm stumped on this one. Anyone have any ideas?

If I am helping you and I do not respond within 24 hours, please send me a PM. :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:51 AM

Posted 25 May 2014 - 08:54 PM

Please post the mouse brand and model next time so we could suggest. Have you tried to use the wireless mouse on a different computer? Did you checked if the mouse has a propriety drivers on manufacturing support site instead of the windows generic? Another useful software is USBDeview which could uninstall all related external devices by just pointing or highlighting then right-clicking the intended software driver.

Tekken

#3 xXAlphaXx

xXAlphaXx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 867 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2014 - 09:12 PM

Its an hp x4000b. Oddly enough their doesn't seem to be anything on the HP website. I don't have another bluetooth enabled pc at the moment so I was going to try it on another computer tomorrow morning to see if that has anything to do wiht it.

I have looked at USBDeview and the mouse does not appear on it but the bluetooth drivers do. I'm reinstalling drivers and seeing what happens.

EDIT: Reinstalled, still no go. HP mouse is still showing up, and I still can't remove it.

Edited by xXAlphaXx, 25 May 2014 - 09:21 PM.

If I am helping you and I do not respond within 24 hours, please send me a PM. :)

#4 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2014 - 09:54 PM

I have looked at USBDeview and the mouse does not appear on it but the bluetooth drivers do. I'm reinstalling drivers and seeing what happens.

Did you use USBDeview on reinstalling the driver?

Edit: See also  HP Bluetooth Troubleshooting Page

Edited by jhayz, 25 May 2014 - 10:02 PM.

Tekken

#5 xXAlphaXx

xXAlphaXx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 867 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2014 - 09:57 PM

No, I installed the intel drivers.

#6 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2014 - 10:08 PM

No, I installed the intel drivers.

What Intel Drivers? I thought its an HP bluetooth driver on device manager?  Did you try using the software in removing the bluetooth driver?

Tekken

#7 xXAlphaXx

xXAlphaXx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 867 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2014 - 10:18 PM

It's an Intel based Bluetooth card. The HP is the mouse.

I used the USBDeview to uninstall the driver and I reinstalled it using the drivers on Intel site.

Edited by xXAlphaXx, 25 May 2014 - 10:20 PM.

#8 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2014 - 10:28 PM

It's an Intel based Bluetooth card. The HP is the mouse.

I always thought that the HP mouse has a USB receiver, doesn't it? So I think the pairing on bluetooth wifi card is not needed... or is the battery on mouse not weak just in case?

Edited by jhayz, 25 May 2014 - 10:31 PM.

Tekken

#9 xXAlphaXx

xXAlphaXx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 867 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2014 - 10:36 PM

This mouse is specially a bluetooth mouse. The batteries are pretty new so I don't think it's that. Plus I don't think that would give me the "remove failed" error whenever I attempted to remove the mouse from the Bluetooth control panel.

#10 xXAlphaXx

xXAlphaXx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 867 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2014 - 11:54 AM

Update: I have tried this mouse on a different laptop, it works fine. The problem has got to be with the bluetooth in this laptop.

I also was able to pair and unpair my phone to the problem laptop just fine but the problem still persists with my mouse. This is weird.

EDIT: Another update, I can't seem to delete the driver from my system. I've deleted EVERY bluetooth driver listed in device manager and all the hidden ones as well. Rebooted the system and, loading generic windows drivers, the HP x4000b is still showing up in device manager. I figure out the driver file for the x4000b is /Windows/inf/bth.inf is what is being loaded on each boot and any time I scan for hardware changes in device manager. So I delete this file, and the entry in device manager and scan for hardware changes and the mouse still pops up! It generates a new one, so I wonder what would happen if I just saved a blank text file as 'bth.inf' and replace it, scan for hardware changes and see what happens. The mouse still shows up! All of this happens while the batteries are removed from the mouse so their is no way it is finding and re installing this mouse. This has GOT to be a driver issue.

Edited by xXAlphaXx, 26 May 2014 - 02:31 PM.

#11 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2014 - 02:02 AM

I used the USBDeview to uninstall the driver and I reinstalled it using the drivers on Intel site.

Let's try checking the Bluetooth Support Service. Click Start orb then type services - Enter. Look for Bluetooth Services then change from Automatic to Disable hit apply then ok. Try removing the Hp mouse again then Reboot computer and check the difference.

Tekken

#12 xXAlphaXx

xXAlphaXx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 867 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2014 - 08:12 AM

Disabled the bluetooth support service, removed hp mouse via device manager, rebooted, and the mouse is back. D:

#13 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2014 - 09:21 PM

Disabled the bluetooth support service, removed hp mouse via device manager, rebooted, and the mouse is back. D:

Try the same step but this time removed the paired device first from Control Panel - Hardware Devices then go back to device manager. If encountered the same, change the startup type to Manual - Apply (reboot computer) go over the same steps. See also any hidden devices pertainin to HP mouse device just in case.

Edited by jhayz, 27 May 2014 - 09:23 PM.

Tekken

#14 xXAlphaXx

xXAlphaXx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 867 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2014 - 12:32 PM

Attempted to remove the mouse from the control panel. It asks if I want to remove it and of course I say yes. Nothing happens. It just sits there mocking me. :c Removing it from device manager seems to get rid of it but of course it still comes back and does not function. Changed the bluetooth support service to manual start up and rebooted. Still a no go.

#15 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2014 - 11:47 PM

Try seeing this thread if it helps. Not sure at this point if manually removing registry keys is the solution but would have to consult the BC staff regarding the problem at hand.

Edited by jhayz, 28 May 2014 - 11:48 PM.

Tekken

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users