Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New build, no video output

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 ObsidianOne

ObsidianOne

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:08 PM

Posted 25 May 2014 - 07:17 PM

Just built a new PC with the specs I have listed, everything fires up, but no video. Everything powers up on the PC, and the fan on the video card is spinning.
Any ideas?

CPU: AMD FX-8320 Vishera 3.5 GHz
Mobo: BIOSTAR TA970
RAM: Ripjaws X Series
DDR3 1866 8GB
GPU: EVGA GTX 660 Superclocked
PSU: NZXT HALE82 700W

1. 4 pin connector for CPU is plugged in, even tried a different connector.
2. Standoffs are all correct
3. Video card is fully seated, even tried another card from a friend.
4. Video card is plugged into power with the 6 pin connector, tried different connectors as well.
5. Tried booting with one stick of RAM (tried both sticks)
6. RAM was reseated and verified that it was in
7. Using correct slots
8. CPU is installed correctly
9. No bent pins
10. CPU fan is plugged in
11. Heatsink is clean
12. Tried running motherboard on the box outside of the case, no screws or anything shorting it out
13. Unfortunately, don't have a system speaker
14. Front panel plugs are correctly installed
15. Power supply switch is on
16. Motherboard is compatible with CPU
17. Reset CMOS
18. Everything is installed tightly.

I'm at a loss. Case fans turn on, video card fan powers on, heatsink fan powers on, HDD and optic drive power on, but no video signal.
All signs point to a motherboard or CPU failure. Am I correct?
Should I contact Newegg and RMA my motherboard at this point?
I'm starting to wonder if this is the PSU or if it is the RAM. Wouldn't it at least POST if the RAM was failing?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:08 PM

Posted 25 May 2014 - 08:44 PM

I would suggest you get or buy a system speaker (borrow it from another pc if you need to). Without one you are flying blind. Once you have one, boot the mobo without any ram to see if you can force a beep. This will give you an indication if the mobo and cpu are functioning.

Edited by Leurgy, 25 May 2014 - 08:45 PM.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#3 ObsidianOne

ObsidianOne
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2014 - 11:01 PM

I would suggest you get or buy a system speaker (borrow it from another pc if you need to). Without one you are flying blind. Once you have one, boot the mobo without any ram to see if you can force a beep. This will give you an indication if the mobo and cpu are functioning.

I had two from previous cases, but I haven't seen them in years, unfortunately. My only option would be to order one and wait for it to ship.

#4 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2014 - 05:47 AM

Not sure where you are but around here we can get them from computer stores like TigerDirect, Radio Shack (The Source), or even from a small computer repair store for very little money.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#5 RevGAM

RevGAM

• Members
  • 701 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:08 PM

Posted 26 May 2014 - 06:30 AM

1) Borrow/use a spare monitor to test your new baby with.

If the spare monitor works, then the main monitor is to blame. (cables okay? power light turns on? is its resolution in range with your video card's?)  If not, then it's probably the card.  Try #2 to make sure your main monitor is okay.

2) Try your monitor on another computer.

If your main monitor works on another computer, your video card is to blame (or there's an incompatibility between it and the monitor).  If it doesn't, then it's the monitor of course.

Does the monitor exit standby mode as if it were detecting a video signal after powering up or otherwise make an indication of that nature? 

I realize this is probably silly, but are you sure the pins of the connector aren't damaged and that it is plugged in correctly to the computer?  Did you ground yourself during assembly?  In my experience, it's usually the simple things that foul up an assembly.

Namaste, Peace & Love,
Glenn

If I have frustrated you, then I must be a student. If I've imparted information or a skill to you, then I must be a teacher. If I've helped you, then I must be a volunteer. If I've touched your life, then I must be happy!
If you had to choose between saving just your family, or saving 10,000 GOOD people (but not your family), what would you choose?

#6 Mistersprinkles

Mistersprinkles

• Banned
  • 118 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:08 PM

Posted 26 May 2014 - 10:45 AM

Im willing to bet that your CPU isn't even firing up with 5 phase VRM that you're inflicting on it. Next time you want to do some research before you actually build your PC. You need an 8 phase motherboard to handle an 8 core FX cpu. 5 won't cut it. I doubt that motherboard can even support that cpu flat out stock. Overclocking? Forget about it.

You should have bought an ASUS M5A99FX as a bare minimum.

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,709 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2014 - 12:04 PM

I didn't even know about phases until I read this thread. Thanks for that. But, according to the Biostar, his CPU is supported. http://www.biostar.com.tw/app/en/mb/introduction.php?S_ID=623#cpu

#8 RevGAM

RevGAM

• Members
  • 701 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2014 - 12:29 PM

Just because Biostar says it is supported doesn't mean that it is.  Check AMD to see if it agrees.  I once bought an AMD-recommended motherboard for my CPU, then AMD pulled their recommendation so I was stuck with a mismatch. :(

Did you try the steps I suggested before?  Can you answer the questions I asked?

Add this step:

3) Try swapping the video card with another one on your computer.  If your monitor works, then it is the EVGA video card.  If the results are still the same as with the EVGA, then you probably have a mobo problem.

Namaste, Peace & Love,
Glenn

If I have frustrated you, then I must be a student. If I've imparted information or a skill to you, then I must be a teacher. If I've helped you, then I must be a volunteer. If I've touched your life, then I must be happy!
If you had to choose between saving just your family, or saving 10,000 GOOD people (but not your family), what would you choose?

#9 Mistersprinkles

Mistersprinkles

• Banned
  • 118 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:08 PM

Posted 26 May 2014 - 12:35 PM

Press the memOK or clear RTC/bios button on your motherboard if it has one also.

Honestly though, the motherboard you've purchased is good enough for an FX 4 core. Not an 8 core. 

Given that the M5A99FX is a $150 US board, you could be better off returning your CPU AND board and picking up an $80 B85 motherboard with an i5 4670.

To be able to run flat out on all cores FX cpus require 1 VRM phase per core. That's why u need 8 phase vrm for an 8 core. More phases are better, of course. 

To know how many phases a mobo has, look at the chokes (square black parts) around the CPU socket. Sometimes these are obscured by the VRM heatsink. Always find out how many phases a board has before you buy it.

Edited by Mistersprinkles, 26 May 2014 - 01:36 PM.

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,709 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2014 - 01:19 PM

Just because Biostar says it is supported doesn't mean that it is.  Check AMD to see if it agrees.  I once bought an AMD-recommended motherboard for my CPU, then AMD pulled their recommendation so I was stuck with a mismatch. :(

Did you try the steps I suggested before?  Can you answer the questions I asked?

Add this step:

3) Try swapping the video card with another one on your computer.  If your monitor works, then it is the EVGA video card.  If the results are still the same as with the EVGA, then you probably have a mobo problem.

Sorry for the mixup, I just posted in the thread because the CPU looked like it was supported and also thanking Mistersprinles regarding phases. I believe you are asking questions to the OP, ObsidianOne.

#11 RevGAM

RevGAM

• Members
  • 701 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2014 - 09:16 PM

Haha!  I didn't even notice you're not the OP, John! SIlly me!

Namaste, Peace & Love,
Glenn

#12 ObsidianOne

ObsidianOne
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2014 - 08:35 PM

Just an update, I took everything back apart, and reinstalled, looks like I misread the motherboard manual. I put the RAM in slot A2 and B2, instead of A1 and A2 and after assembly of everything, it works! :) Solved!
Thanks everyone for the help :) User error it seems!

#13 RevGAM

RevGAM

• Members
  • 701 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2014 - 08:39 PM

We are very happy you figured it out! :)

Namaste, Peace & Love,
Glenn

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users