Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dual channel ram

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Philak1

Philak1

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:26 PM

Posted 25 May 2014 - 03:46 PM

I have a Dell laptop 3521, Dual channel memory, slot 1 has 2gb stick and slot 2 has 4gb stick, is this OK. I thought they had to be equal pair.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,238 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:26 AM

Posted 25 May 2014 - 04:27 PM

If they don't match they will defeat the dual channel architecture. So what you will have is a 64 bit single channel memory with a 6GB storage value, rather than a 128 bit dual channel memory with a 6GB value.

It's still better than just having one of the RAM modules in though, assuming they match in timing.

#3 Philak1

Philak1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2014 - 04:34 PM

Thank you TsVk!,

I Bought it new and was surprised no matching pair.

#4 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,238 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2014 - 04:49 PM

It's surprisingly common, most people don't know how RAM works. Many know that modules in a channel (like on a desktop) have to be matching, but don't realise the channels have to match also, for optimal function.

#5 Philak1

Philak1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2014 - 05:23 PM

Thanks for responding, do you think I would gain from adding a matched pair of modules.

#6 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,238 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2014 - 05:36 PM

It depends what you do with the machine. If it is just for internet browsing and a bit of light gaming there would be a negligible difference. On the other hand if you wanted to do more RAM intensive processing like media/multimedia production, technical drawing, image rendering or 3D gaming there would be a noticeable difference and the money would be well spent.

It is not required that the brands in different channels are identical, they do not have the same dependencies as your classic 'matching pair', But size, speed and timing are all essential points to note.

#7 Philak1

Philak1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2014 - 05:42 PM

Thank you for your time TsVk!

You have helped me learn a few things, and probably saved me some cash.

Cheers

#8 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,238 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2014 - 06:31 PM

You're welcome.

:thumbup2:

0 user(s) are reading this topic