Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Spy Sheriff / Spy Trooper

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Brent130560

Brent130560

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:38 PM

Posted 24 May 2006 - 07:55 PM

Hi all
I seems to have this. McAffee tells me its a PUP and provides a list of registry entries. Those keys dont exist on my machine so it makes them hard to remove. It hijacks my IE to a site www.404dns.com
I've run McAfee anti virus, Spybot and Adaware and cleared cache etc. Any other hints?

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 -David-

-David-

• Members
  • 10,603 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:38 PM

Posted 25 May 2006 - 02:22 AM

Hi Brent and welcome to BleepingComputer.

I think that the Hijack and the SpySheriff malware all fall under the same infection. What I would suggest you do is that you firstly read the self help instructions which can be found here. Please use those instructions as a guide to removing SpySheriff from your computer. If you are not happy doing it by yourself and would like 1 to 1 help, or cannot remove the program using the self-help guide please reply and we can consider the options possible. Then, after you have completed that, let me know in this thread whether or not the Hijack has stopped or whether your McAfee is flagging the PUP virus anymore. It could be that you have more than one infection and, as I said above, we may need you to post a Hijack-this log or complete a few other scans to remove it.

Best of luck :thumbsup:
David

#3 Brent130560

Brent130560
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2006 - 05:41 PM

Thanks - I'll keep you posted.

#4 -David-

-David-

• Members
  • 10,603 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2006 - 09:27 AM

Ok. Good luck.
David

#5 Brent130560

Brent130560
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2006 - 05:56 PM

Solved! Thank you. Panda crashed each time I tried to use it but otherwise instructions worked fine - each Program picked up and fixed different problems. All seems good now.
Much appreciated :thumbsup:

#6 -David-

-David-

• Members
  • 10,603 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2006 - 11:22 AM

Great news and glad I could help. :thumbsup:
David

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users