Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My Book External Hard drive

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Susan Anthony

Susan Anthony

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:40 AM

Posted 25 May 2014 - 01:23 PM

It is a WD (Western Digital) on which I have stored a vast amount of pictures.

Since I bought the laptop, 3-4 years ago, I have not been able to access the

photos on the external hard drive - they just won't open from the laptop.

Are these pictures gone forever or is there a way to access them?

Edited by hamluis, 26 May 2014 - 02:54 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to External Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,386 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:40 PM

Posted 25 May 2014 - 01:27 PM

Please download MiniToolBox  , save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following checkboxes:
  List last 10 Event Viewer log
  List Installed Programs
  List Users, Partitions and Memory size.

Click Go and paste the content into your next post.

Also...please Publish a Snapshot using Speccy - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic323892.html/page__p__1797792#entry1797792 , taking care to post the link of the snapshot in your next post.

Louis

#3 scotty_ncc1701

scotty_ncc1701

• Members
  • 520 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:40 PM

Posted 25 May 2014 - 01:56 PM

First, try a chkdsk /f on the drive in question and see if that helps, there might be some bad spots.

A friend has an issue, where the drive was said to be "RAW".  This is what I did to fix it:

* I tried a chkdsk (drive letter) /f and got an indication that the disk was a RAW disk.
* In Windows Explorer it said it was an NTFS disk.
* When trying a CD to a folder, it said nothing was there.
* When trying to access the folder in Windows Explorer, it said nothing was there.
* Windows Explorer said that "X" was used out of "Y" space
* This fixed it:
* * * Unplugged from his USB Hub
* * * Unplugged the hard drive from the power source
* * * Waited a short time (about 1-2 minutes)
* * * Powered drive on (not plugged into the computer)
* * * Plugged in to USB hub
* * * All fine.

Last year, or late 2012, I had an external start to act flaky, and had issues getting to it (it wasn't like the "RAW" issue above).  So I downloaded UBUNTU (UBUNTU.COM), burned a DVD, and booted it as a LIVE DVD.  A live DVD is running UBUNTU from DVD, not the hard drive.  In the live DVD, you have a file manager, like Windows Explorer, and you can access external drives and partitions, thus you can copy the files off, possibly.

I was able to get 98% of my files back.  Windows wasn't able to read the external, but UBUNTU (LINUX) was able to.  You'll need a partition or another external drive that you can copy the files to.

If any other members have suggestions, it would also be good to hear.

Best of luck.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,386 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:40 PM

Posted 25 May 2014 - 03:45 PM

Before trying any "desperation cures", I think it prudent that we gather some data about what is and what is not first.

Louis

#5 Susan Anthony

Susan Anthony
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:40 AM

Posted 26 May 2014 - 09:44 AM

Perhaps I should have mentioned that the external hard drive indicated is called My Book,

I am not keen on downloading programs and I know there has to be a way to access my

pictures from the ex hard drive without having to download a program.  I thank you for your

suggestions and appreciate the feedback. 

#6 scotty_ncc1701

scotty_ncc1701

• Members
  • 520 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:40 PM

Posted 27 May 2014 - 03:31 PM

It is a WD (Western Digital) on which I have stored a vast amount of pictures.

Since I bought the laptop, 3-4 years ago, I have not been able to access the

photos on the external hard drive - they just won't open from the laptop.

Are these pictures gone forever or is there a way to access them?

I just happened to come across this.  Don't know if it works.  But maybe it's worth checking out.  I haven't downloaded it.

http://micware.mywebcommunity.org/micp.htm

encopy - This utility is designed for data rescue from damaged media when standard system copy procedure fails, freeze and or reject medium. This software tries rescue data from media and even in some cases of serious damage might restore them. It is not possible to rescue everything perfectly, but in most cases this way might be useful. Some larger data blocks rescue might take very long time, especially if you enable data verifying. Aplication offers also logging. This utility has minimal software requirements. This aplication is freeware, so can be downloaded, used, for non commercial purposes only, can not be sold, and modified.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users