Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC NOISE

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 aka rotten

aka rotten

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:20 PM

Posted 25 May 2014 - 11:49 AM

I,m just wondering, shop pc which was just rebuilt by pc guy in town, works great, but no Am in shop, Fm fine. Works great ever with florescent light on. Narrowed it down to desktop  by you folks on here. [Even have to turn main switch off on desktop just for am.] My ? is are they some type of filter I could posabily use? and if they are could you wizards tell an old guy who knows nothing about them where to get one? Or is am just doomed.Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,685 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:20 PM

Posted 25 May 2014 - 11:55 AM

I'm not sure I understand what you are referring to.

You Mention AM and FM, so I guess you are referring to radio.  Does this mean that you are hearing radio through you computer's speakers?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 aka rotten

aka rotten
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2014 - 02:39 PM

I'm not sure I understand what you are referring to.

You Mention AM and FM, so I guess you are referring to radio.  Does this mean that you are hearing radio through you computer's speakers?

Sorry for not being clearer . No if I turn separate am,fm, stereo on in shop, While computer on,FM fine, cant get am unless I shut pc off,even main switch in back of desktop. Stereo works fine with 24 florescent lights going in shop even Am. But if I turn on desktop, cant receive any am at all. Hope thats better. Just wondered if any type of filter to put on desktop so I can receive am. I,m old and listen to lot of talk shows. Not a big deal cept   now I cant play checkers on pc  and listen to talk show at same time!

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,685 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2014 - 02:57 PM

What are you using for an antennae?

Have you tried plugging the radio into another circuit that the computer isn't plugged into?

There RF filters out there, but these usually are used to keep noise out of the radio. 

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 aka rotten

aka rotten
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2014 - 06:40 PM

Have you tried plugging the radio into another circuit that the computer isn't plugged into?

There RF filters out there, but these usually are used to keep noise out of the radio. 

Antenna piece of orginal wire from stereo maybe  6 ft long. And yes,i took extension cord and plugged it in across shop, another circuit altogether ,no difference as far as am goes, others fine. Any ideas? Or just shut pc down while I,m listening

#6 aka rotten

aka rotten
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2014 - 06:51 PM

Yes took extension  cord  across shop ,where outlets on different circuit,no difference. Fm, fine, no am. antenna 6 ft  orginal antenna wire coming from rear of stereo.Thanks

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,685 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2014 - 10:21 AM

aka rotten,

You don't need to quote my posts.

This is a little on the weird side.  You have isolated the power source from the two items and yet the computer is still effecting the AM reception.

This problem doesn't occur if the computer is off, correct?

How is the computer connected to the internet?  Ethernet, wifi, phone?

#8 aka rotten

aka rotten
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2014 - 10:42 AM

This is hooked up by Ethernet. Yes you have to turn pc off to receive any AM signals at all cept one station 4 miles from house. Not just shut pc down but must switch main power off in rear of desktop. Thanks again!

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,685 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2014 - 10:58 AM

Try disconnecting the Ethernet cable from the modem or router, which ever goes back to the computer.

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,685 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2014 - 11:28 AM

After doing some reading it appears that the power supply unit is capable of producing RF interference.

I would suggest making a longer antennae which you could place outside and see if this resolves the problem.

#11 aka rotten

aka rotten
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2014 - 01:03 PM

I will try that and see what that does,Thank you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users