Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Adaware 11 definitions

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 kylejw1990

kylejw1990

• Members
  • 171 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:51 AM

Posted 25 May 2014 - 01:54 AM

so i had an older version of ad aware so i updated it today. installed and registered fine but definitions wont download at all. i looked for related issues on google and found that the most common things to check were:

1. Lan proxy setting --- no proxy used

2. Firewall settings   --- allowed through

3. Resart computer  --- did this several time with no improvement.

4. Reinstall              ---- no progress.

5. Something to do with drivers...i didnt attempt this.

i turned off my firewall and shutdown all security programs and still it will not download the definitions...

any ideas on how to fix this???

Thanks to all,

Kyle

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,287 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:51 AM

Posted 25 May 2014 - 07:06 AM

Ad-Aware is not a security tool used by most of our members because mvps.org no longer recommended it due to poor testing results. See here - (scroll down and read under Freeware Antispyware Products).

If no one has any suggestions, then contact:
* Lavasoft Technical Support
* Lavasoft Support Forums
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,101 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2014 - 07:13 AM

You could try using Revo Uninstaller. Download Revo Uninstaller Freeware - Free and Full Download - Uninstall software, remove programs, solve uninstall problems

Adaware at one time was considered a decent program to have....several years ago. You would be hard pressed to find

a security professional recommending it today.

Two suggested programs: Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free   SUPERAntiSpyware.com - AntiAdware, AntiSpyware, AntiMalware!

Both have free versions that you would need to update manually and purchase for realtime protection. But you can scan and they

will remove what they find in the free versions.

Two other programs that are free and great for finding and removing adware that is very prevalent these days are

AdwCleaner Download   Junkware Removal Tool Download

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,287 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2014 - 07:28 AM

I just checked through Lavasoft's FAQ section but could only find this topic: I cannot update the Definitions File

Have you tried...Manual update of definitions?

#5 kylejw1990

kylejw1990
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 171 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2014 - 10:56 AM

ok so i just got online and it started downloading the updates by itself.....odd.

anyhow why isnt ad aware used/recommended anymore? i thought it was still pretty good software as it has recently removed some malware that malwarebytes coudnt.

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,287 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2014 - 02:17 PM

As I noted previously, mvps.org is no longer recommending Ad-Aware (or Spybot) due to poor testing results. See here - (scroll down and read under Freeware Antispyware Products).

Ad-Aware...have gone into a downhill spiral over the past five years and recently sold the company to Solaria... Majorgeeks stopped listing Ad-Aware as a “pick” some years ago as we watched the quality of the company slip over the years...it can’t stand up to the new generation of anti-spyware applications...

What does the future hold for Ad-Aware?
Lavasoft Controversies

Also read Lavasoft Turning to the Dark Side? written by a former volunteer (now a MVP) who provided support for Ad-Aware but no longer uses the program.

With that said and to be fair, the newer versions of Ad-Aware Pro Security have earned Certificates & Awards from AV-Test and did well in Virus Bulletin August 2013 Testing results.

#7 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2014 - 03:12 PM

ok so i just got online and it started downloading the updates by itself.....odd.

anyhow why isnt ad aware used/recommended anymore? i thought it was still pretty good software as it has recently removed some malware that malwarebytes coudnt.

Ad Aware has been known to find false positives. One time a user came to BC and insisted that Ad Aware was finding things that other products were not finding. They all turned out to be false positives.

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,287 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2014 - 07:22 PM

To be fair...all scanning tools are susceptible to glitches, bugs and false positive detections from time to time. Some have resulted in the removal of critical system files resulting in unbootable computers or machines stuck in an endless reboot loop. Even major anti-virus vendors are not immune to such issues. In most cases when these issues occur, the anti-virus vendors and security tool developers take quick action to correct the problem and provide support to those users who have been affected. In fact, most have dedicated subforums for reporting/dealing with such issues and instructions for submitting samples. However, for routine scan detections that do not result in system-wide failures, it is up to the user to investigate what has been detected before taking further action.

#9 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2014 - 04:53 AM

The impression at the time was that Lavasoft may have been showing false positives deliberately to give users the perception that they were more effective than other products. The truth was like Spybot, Ad Aware was a once popular product that lost its place due to ineffectiveness. So Lavasoft started taking shortcuts. I wouldn't touch Ad Aware with a ten foot pole. If they have done this kind of lazy deceptive stuff before, they will do it again.

#10 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,287 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2014 - 06:04 AM

More effective alternatives are Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and SUPERAntiSpyware Free.

#11 kylejw1990

kylejw1990
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 171 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2014 - 07:57 AM

well ok then...lol

uninstalling i guess. i cant believe that companies would intentionally provide false positives. i mean if it did remove something critical because of a false positive then its not much better than the malware your trying to protect against right?

welp i guess i will be uninstalling and thanks for the information!

#12 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2014 - 10:34 AM

They did it as a marketing strategy. They thought they could fool users. 

#13 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,287 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2014 - 05:41 PM

Regardless of which anti-malware programs you choose to use, it's always a best practice to thoroughly review scan detection results before removing anything. And when removing, leave the detected items in quarantine for a few days before choosing to permanently delete. This makes it easier to restore a legitimate file if it turns out to be a confirmed false positive.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users