Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Malwarebytes default settings

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 oldblueeyes

oldblueeyes

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:58 AM

Posted 24 May 2014 - 11:51 PM

Malwarebytes does not recommend checking rootkits with its default settings when scanning so I  did not.  Why would this be recommended or should I check it anyways?  I think not.  Could it be that it would require much more time to check this pesky malware and the extra time needed would not be worth it?

It should be noted that I also have Microsoft Security Essentials and Webroot Secureanywhere endpoint protectoin (webroot being a closed system managed by Click for Support) whcih may presumably be monitiring rootkits already.  I am not sure? Thanks for any help!   :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,579 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2014 - 07:01 AM

Antirootkit technology in Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 2.0 is integrated into the scanner (under Detection Settings) in MBAM v2.0 but it is not enabled by default. If the "Scan for rootkits" setting is enabled, it will increase the length of the average scan time from previous versions which defeats the purpose of routinely using the recommended THREAT Scan to quickly check the most prevalent places for active malware....see Why is scan for rootkit off by default?

Scanning for rootkits is only necessary for heavily infected systems or when malware symptoms are present but the THREAT Scan does not detect anthing.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 oldblueeyes

oldblueeyes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2014 - 12:04 PM

Thank you very much for the help.  It's good to know that the rootkits and other malware  are  checked allbeit only in the most likeley places.  I will leave the setting as is.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,579 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2014 - 02:24 PM

You're welcome.

#5 Victor2K

Victor2K

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:58 PM

Posted 25 May 2014 - 03:01 PM

Malwarebytes does have indeed an own Rootkit scan tool (MBAR for short)... used it a couple of times and it served me very well so far (and hope serving it so far as well)

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,579 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2014 - 07:18 PM

Antirootkit technology in Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 2.0 is identical to that of MBAMAntiRootkit (mbar). The development team kept them them separate in case they need to quickly adapt to new rootkits with engine changes that cannot be accomplished with definition updates since releasing new versions of MBAMAntiRootkit are much faster. When this does happen, any changes that occur in MBAMAntiRootkit's new versions will be integrated into Malwarebytes Anti-Malware in the next release that follows.

#7 hatesviruses

hatesviruses

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:58 AM

Posted 09 January 2016 - 04:46 PM

I had same question too re Malwarebytes & rootkits.  Went to malwarebytes.com Help and found this answer:

https://support.malwarebytes.org/customer/en/portal/articles/1834842-why-is-scan-for-rootkit-off-by-default-?b_id=6438

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,579 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2016 - 04:58 PM

As noted above...if "Scan for rootkits" is enabled, it will increase the length of the average scan time from previous versions and sometimes cause the scanner to freeze (hang) or even crash. This defeats the purpose of routinely using the recommended THREAT Scan to quickly check the most prevalent places for active malware.

However, that feature may be enabled in future versions.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users