Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

new asus screen

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 millipede

millipede

• Members
  • 649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:38 AM

Posted 24 May 2014 - 10:47 PM

I'm too frustrated right now to say as much as is on my mind...........
I've learned how to replace laptop screens thanks to my wife running over a dell a year or so ago... 
I've changed quite a few screens for people now and 99% of the  time, it all goes well... once in a while, something else happens...  and in my head, I turn into the Hulk...  grrrrrr
She has a windows 8.1 ASUS...  it was stepped on or something, and later dropped on a carpeted floor...  The screen needed to be replaced.  JUST got it in today and threw it together.  Piece of cake right....?  :/
While booting, the screen displays just fine... says "ASUS" and whatnot...  But once in windows, nothing... displays on my own external but the laptops screen is backlit only.  Why would it show up until it wanted to load windows and then nothing?  One thought was drivers... I searched for devices, it found nothing...  Ran windows update, it found nothing hardware related.
I attempted to get into bios to see if the screen would stay on there(I imagine it would) but I haven't figured out what button to press to get there.  I found a site that said to hit the delete/ins button... tried that and the typical F2... 

I'm taking a break.  My hope was to pop the thing in like I always do and be done.  I've been having a difficult week... been a little depressed(more than normal), stressed... have a less than 3 week old baby that seems to need me to hold her half the day...  just tired and worn down.  This was just not what I wanted to deal with.  :/
Any ideas?

humbug...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Itz Paradox

Itz Paradox

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:38 AM

Posted 24 May 2014 - 10:58 PM

what type of a pc/laptop  is it ?

#3 millipede

millipede
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 649 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2014 - 05:26 PM

Already mentioned it's a laptop, ASUS, running Windows 8.1. 
I believe it's a K55A model if that's important at all.

#4 Itz Paradox

Itz Paradox

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:38 AM

Posted 25 May 2014 - 05:30 PM

http://superuser.com/questions/714353/asus-k55a-black-screen-boot-issue-after-windows-8-1-upgrade

this might be able to help you let me know the outcome

#5 millipede

millipede
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 649 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2014 - 12:27 PM

No luck... 
I did manage to get into Bios this time...  and like I expected, the screen worked fine...  as soon as it tries to load windows it is just blank...  backlit and blank.  :/

#6 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2014 - 12:44 PM

Someone may have changed the video settings in windows to use only the external display. There may be a hardware switch for this via FN key and one of the F1-F12 keys to change settings. That or you could try going through windows display settings to change it to use the internal display or both etc..

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#7 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2014 - 01:00 PM

Have you tried a bootable version of linux? That would be another thing I would try.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#8 RevGAM

RevGAM

• Members
  • 723 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2014 - 01:21 PM

I think Zingo is probably correct.  Usually, the f4 or f5 key is associated with changing which display device is being used and, judging by the fact that your external monitor displays correctly, it's set to "Projector only".  If you can't get the f-key to work, plug your monitor back in and change it via the display options.  On my HP, I have to press ctrl-fn-f5, not just fn-f5, if that helps.

If in doubt, you could look at the user manual on ASUS's website.

Namaste, Peace & Love,
Glenn

If I have frustrated you, then I must be a student. If I've imparted information or a skill to you, then I must be a teacher. If I've helped you, then I must be a volunteer. If I've touched your life, then I must be happy!
If you had to choose between saving just your family, or saving 10,000 GOOD people (but not your family), what would you choose?

#9 Mistersprinkles

Mistersprinkles

• Banned
  • 118 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:38 AM

Posted 27 May 2014 - 03:22 PM

That's so not even remotely related...

#10 millipede

millipede
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 649 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2014 - 06:39 PM

Someone may have changed the video settings in windows to use only the external display.

While using my external, I had tried messing with those settings... using those keys as well as the display options.  I have it set to clone displays. 

Have you tried a bootable version of linux?

Hmm... That would maybe show me whether it was a driver issue or something?  Maybe?
I have a flash drive with Ubuntu on it around here somewhere so I can definitely give that a try.

#11 RevGAM

RevGAM

• Members
  • 723 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2014 - 08:38 PM

Ah, so then it's not the display choice that's the problem. Hmmm...Have you verified that the built-in display is correctly supported by its driver?  I mean, have you looked in System CP, or have you tried installing a new driver?  Is it possible that the replacement display is not identical to the old one?

Namaste, Peace & Love,
Glenn

If I have frustrated you, then I must be a student. If I've imparted information or a skill to you, then I must be a teacher. If I've helped you, then I must be a volunteer. If I've touched your life, then I must be happy!
If you had to choose between saving just your family, or saving 10,000 GOOD people (but not your family), what would you choose?

#12 millipede

millipede
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 649 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2014 - 09:58 PM

My understanding was that the ENTIRE number(s) did not have to match perfectly...  The ones in ()s after it anyway.
The screen is LP156WH4.... both the original AND the replacement.
UNDER that number, the original said (TL)(N2) while the replacement says (TL)(R1)
I've replaced a few screens and those numbers don't often match perfectly... the ones in ()s...  And it hasn't mattered so far.
I did poke around in Ctrl panel, device manager really, and did not "find new hardware" but I will look at the drivers again.  If it can't actually find one on it's own, I'm not sure how to go about finding the specific driver.
After I do that for a bit, and get some kids in bed, I will look for my Ubuntu flash drive as well... 
My bet is that it will work running that...  we'll see.

Was checking drivers...  it just has a generic name(flat panel  blah blah blah) and claims the divers are correct, and the device is working properly.
I uninstalled and searched for new hardware and, same driver was used...  oddly, it's the same driver version as the one it's using for my external.  hmmm...
Where you find a driver for just a screen?

Edited by millipede, 27 May 2014 - 10:07 PM.

#13 RevGAM

RevGAM

• Members
  • 723 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2014 - 02:21 AM

You might try searching from here: http://www.service.asus.com/#!downloads/c1wax (This is set to USA, but you can change the region at the bottom of the page - I don't know where you are located or where that display came from).

If it's an ASUS machine you could try doing the automatic detection there, or search using the model or serial number.  If the display was actually made by another company for ASUS, you'll need to go to that company's website.  Interestingly, when I plugged in the main number you gave (no extra characters) in the serial number search, it came up with driver support for the K54L not the K55A, and there was no display driver listed.

Failing that, you could try contacting the manufacturer directly to ask where to find it.

Of course, you could try testing the display on another unit to see if it functions correctly.

I presume that you have already verified that the display settings that are currently set in Windows are within the specified range for the display?

It's been my experience that those extra characters sometimes help and sometimes don't - it depends on the manufacturer.  For example, I want to upgrade my drivers on this HP Miini, but since there's no sticker on the case, System CP doesn't show the extra characters I need, and I can't do an autodetect on HP's website (something seems to block it), I can't.  There's a list of 14 different laptops that match (or, rather, nearly) the model number listed in System.  I had the same problem with my other HP laptop.

Namaste, Peace & Love,
Glenn

#14 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2014 - 07:19 AM

My understanding was that the ENTIRE number(s) did not have to match perfectly...  The ones in ()s after it anyway.
The screen is LP156WH4.... both the original AND the replacement.
UNDER that number, the original said (TL)(N2) while the replacement says (TL)(R1)
I've replaced a few screens and those numbers don't often match perfectly... the ones in ()s...  And it hasn't mattered so far.
I did poke around in Ctrl panel, device manager really, and did not "find new hardware" but I will look at the drivers again.  If it can't actually find one on it's own, I'm not sure how to go about finding the specific driver.
After I do that for a bit, and get some kids in bed, I will look for my Ubuntu flash drive as well... 
My bet is that it will work running that...  we'll see.

Was checking drivers...  it just has a generic name(flat panel  blah blah blah) and claims the divers are correct, and the device is working properly.
I uninstalled and searched for new hardware and, same driver was used...  oddly, it's the same driver version as the one it's using for my external.  hmmm...
Where you find a driver for just a screen?

Sometimes the numbers need to match exactly including the (TL)(N2), (TL)(R1). Sometimes not. I always order the exact replacement screen if I can find it.

It could be a driver related issue. Since the screen works at a bios level, it could be something as simple as a resolution problem. Maybe the old panel was 1080p and the new one is only 720p. Try Linux or use safe mode if possible. There is a way to enable the boot menu options in windows 8. I can not recall exactly how at this moment. I think you hold shift while doing a reboot? I'll have to google that again... Anyway, try to change the screen resolution to something compatible with both panels: 720p

You shouldn't need a driver for the screen, you need the video chipset driver. You could try uninstalling and re-installing all video adapter drivers.

Edited by zingo156, 28 May 2014 - 07:21 AM.

#15 millipede

millipede
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 649 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2014 - 09:00 AM

Sometimes the numbers need to match exactly

I will try harder to do that from now on...  I usually order screens from ebay, and I usually have good luck.
One problem with that is that a LOT of these sellers ship whatever they have that is compatible.  For instance, the one I got in the mail was TL R1 but the listing that I got it from was for TL A1. 
I will contact the seller and see if they have any ideas.  I REALLY REALLY REALLY do not want to go through the hassle of sending it back, trying to figure if they'll charge me a restocking fee, and all of that.  Just don't have the time or patience right now.  :/

I tried booting to my ubuntu flash drive...  I hit F8 or esc or something to get a boot menu, and I chose my flash drive.  It still loaded windows on me.  :/I don't understand that.... grrr....
I'll dig around and see if I can find my parted magic cd and boot to that as well.
And, I'll poke around at the display settings again(resolution and all)...

You shouldn't need a driver for the screen, you need the video chipset driver

That's where I am confused... I found another conversation online where someone was asking specifically for a screen driver and they were told they didn't need one.
The thing is... in device manager... they list both the graphics driver AND the actual display driver... the display driver simply being a very generic driver.
The graphics driver... I did go to ASUS and looked at available drivers/downloads for the K55A(which is what this is...)
The graphics drivers they have listed there are two months newer than the one installed... the version of the one on the site simply has a .02 or some SHORT number added to it that the other doesn't.  So.... I went and downloaded and tried it...  (The new one SAID november of 2013 while the old one said September of 2013)
After downloading it...  the readme file for it said September...  but, I still went ahead and ran the setup and...  though it said it installed it... the driver still says September so, it really wasn't a new one.
Eh...  SO much to figure out... so little time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users