Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

malware

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Itz Paradox

Itz Paradox

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:06 AM

Posted 24 May 2014 - 08:41 PM

hello just wondering if anyone can give me the rundown of malware

what is it

what causes it

how it spreads

whats inside of it (if that makes sence like what contain inside of it)

how to detect it quickly

how to terminate it

etc

Thanks for your replys

Edited by Orange Blossom, 02 June 2014 - 12:45 AM.
Moving to general security. ~ OB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,239 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 AM

Posted 24 May 2014 - 09:17 PM

Please read
How Malware Spreads - How did I get infected

How to remove a Trojan, Virus, Worm, or other Malware

Also
http://www.microsoft.com/security/portal/mmpc/shared/malwarenaming.aspx

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 Itz Paradox

Itz Paradox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:06 AM

Posted 24 May 2014 - 09:58 PM

not sure if you know this boopme i read the first link and have two questions um one is it possible to design a firewall to the point where no viruses could get through it and for backing up files etc is it possible to put that on an external hard drive then if you see or have malware to pull the plug from the hard drive out of the computer asap would that still save you stuff or could it corrupt the hard drive aswell?

EDIT= Also from the second link is it possible to build a program that can destroy the viruses without having to worry about downloading another virus

Edited by Itz Paradox, 24 May 2014 - 10:21 PM.

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 5,973 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:06 PM

Posted 01 June 2014 - 06:38 PM

A firewall's job is to prevent unauthorised connections to your computer, both incoming and outgoing. They do not of themselves stop data, they control connections.

Given that a very common way of getting infected is by clicking on links in e-mails or on web-sites that have been corrupted, you authorised the connection by opening up your e-mail client or by browsing to that particular web-site, so a firewall is powerless to stop that. It is the function of anti-virus and anti malware software to prevent such infections affecting your computer.

As for using an external drive, DON'T keep it connected to the computer. Connect it to the computer when you want to do a backup or re-install, then disconnect it when you are finished. And if you have any reason to suspect malware etc. before you do a back, run a scan before you connect the drive to do the backup. Or even if you don't suspect infection - it's good practice.

Your final question, as I understand it. The short answer is no. AV programs and their kin work on a database of known threats and threat characteristics. This means there is a good chance you will be protected against unknown threats which use a similar structure to known ones, but if somebody comes up with a new structure of malware, then all bets are off.

Chris Cosgrove

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,606 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 AM

Posted 02 June 2014 - 03:27 PM

You may also want to read over the Glossary of Malware Related Terms.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users