Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Control Keys not working after HDD replacement&OS Re-install

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Stradivari

Stradivari

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:28 AM

Posted 24 May 2014 - 04:12 PM

Hey everyone,

I've got a Dell XPS L502X with Win7 x64, that recently underwent massive cleaning, and virus removal.  After I was finished, my laptop was somewhat functional again, however I had tons of corrupt system files and the system would hang for 1-2 minutes at random times throughout the day.  At this point I decided to backup my personal files, and do a clean re-install of the OS.  However, despite my best efforts to re-install the OS after the drive was formatted, the installation was constantly failing around 55%. So I ran CHKDSK f until it completed (about 9 hrs.. -_-), and attempted to re-install again with no luck.

After this failure, I ended up taking it in to a local repair shop. The guys there ran diagnostics and let me know that the HDD was bad, and needed to be replaced. The original HDD was the stock 750gb that came from Dell, however since it was already in the shop, I told them to go ahead and install a 1TB HDD since they said it would be a minimal price difference. Here's where things get weird... When I picked it up (yesterday), everything "seemed" to be working fine, however, I thought it was odd that I didn't recognize some of the drivers they used to get it up and running; but I thought hey, probably just the most recent driver updates. Once I began browsing with chrome, I immediately noticed that neither one of my control keys were functioning, as I couldn't use the keyboard shortcuts to switch between tabs. I opened notepad/wordpad and was unable to copy/paste with Ctrl shortcuts, and I also couldn't bring up the ctrl+alt+del screen. So after a brief bit of research into the problem, I figured I would just take it back to them assuming that it could be a loose wire or something like that.  However, they've just called today, and they've said that all the wires are connected, and the ctrl keys work fine when using an external keyboard, or when using the onscreen keyboard, and that it must be a problem with my laptop keyboard, which they would be more than happy to replace for an additional parts and labor fee; or they will do the entire OS re-install again for another fee! The issue here is that there was nothing wrong with my keyboard in the first place until after they replaced the hard drive!

So my question to you guys is, could it be possible that they installed incorrect drivers after they re-installed the OS, which are now causing both of the Ctrl keys not to respond, or is it more likely that they damaged my laptop in some way during the repair, and are now trying to blame it on a problem that never existed? If it is a software/driver issue, I may even be able to fix it myself, but I've never heard of anything like this, especially not on a clean install of Windows 7 on a brand new hard drive. And if that's the case, would testing whether or not an external keyboard & on screen keyboard worked with my system have anything to do with finding their software mistake? Thoughts anyone?

Sorry for the long post, I just wanted to be detailed. Thanks for any replies!

- Will 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,891 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:28 PM

Posted 25 May 2014 - 05:55 PM

This is primarily a legal problem - not a computing one - and the problem here is that consumer legislation varies so much from one country to another. At a guess you live somewhere in the Western half of the USA or Canada, judging by local time.

It might seem reasonable that if you take an equipment in to have a problem repaired that you should get it back without a new one - but!  Can you put forward any evidence that the keyboard was working properly immediately before you took it into the shop ?  If you can you would be in a much stronger position when it comes to negotiating.

As I see it, you have two choices. The first is to leave it to the tender mercies of your local repair shop, but try to beat them down on the price. The other is to take it back as it is and try to fix it yourself, and that depends on how confident you feel about your skills.

The only other thing that might help you is the drivers that were installed. It is extremely easy to find drivers for a Dell, all you need is the number off the bar code somewhere on it and access to the Dell web-site. These will take straight to the page listing the drivers for your computer and if these are not the drivers that were installed then they have been less than 100% professional.

I am sorry I cannot be more positive, but if you want to pick a fight - and here, at home, I would be inclined to - you need local advice as to your position and the 'local' bit I definitely can't help you with.

Let us know how you get on.

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users