Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Downloads Don't

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 WillieFoxx

WillieFoxx

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:51 PM

Posted 24 May 2014 - 02:10 PM

A virus appears to have embedded itself on my computer, as more fully discussed in dialogue in another forum (http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/535289/unwanted-redirects/?view=getnewpost).  One of the effects of the suspected virus is that when I attempt to download files from links in loaded documents, the files do not download.  Two examples of this are attempts to download files from http://www.malwarebytes.org/products/ and from http://www.eset.com/onlinescan/.  Machiavelli, who has been working on this problem, recommended that I open this thread in this forum to focus on the unable-to-download problem.

Assistance invited.

A.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,233 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:51 PM

Posted 28 May 2014 - 03:07 PM

Hi Willie... let's see if we can get you going again mate.

• Which browser are you trying to download with? If you are using IE you may need to go to Internet Explorer Advanced settings and revert them to "Default". That may fix your problem.
  • If you are using Firefox there is a Reset feature that fixes most problems like this easily. Works now?
  • If still not downloading, uninstall any toolbars.
  • Corrupted anti-virus can also prevent downloads. I guess at this stage your AV is cosmetic anyhow, you can uninstall it for now. This may also fix your problem.

Let us know how you come on, I've still got a few fixes yet if these don't work.

TsVk!

#3 WillieFoxx

WillieFoxx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2014 - 04:21 PM

TsVK!

Thank you for your reply.  I welcome your assistance.

I think the problem will not lend itself to a quick solution.  First of all, the problem exists with both FF and IE.  Second, my inability to download exists on only a few sites that I have been able to identify.  Unfortunately, the online malwarebytes scan is one of those sites where downloads fail.  Thirdly (and I've not mentioned this before), at the same time that the original problem began I noticed a slowing down of loading of web pages, for those pages that do load.  BleepingComputer loads.  Yahoo.com does not.  These are very consistent behaviors.  I disabled my Norton AV and tried to load yahoo.com, still with no success.

I do believe this problem is related to the problem that Machiavelli has been working on, on the http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/535289/unwanted-redirects/?view=getnewpost thread.  He and I have already gone through a lot of diagnostics and attempted fixes there that might assist you, in case you've not already had a chance to review that thread.

Given the above information, especially the sporadic nature of the occurrences, and the fact that the problems occur with both IE and FF, do you still recommend uninstalling my AV?  (I'll probably have to pay for a new license to reinstall it.)  And do you still recommend the reversion and the reset?  Should we try your other fixes first?

A.

#4 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:51 PM

Posted 28 May 2014 - 04:29 PM

Hi Willie.  Since you're having problems doing downloads on your computer, you should find another computer that's working properly and do the downloads to a flash drive.  Then you can take the flash drive to your computer and do the installs from the flash drive.

Good luck.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#5 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,233 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2014 - 04:33 PM

Hi Willie.  Since you're having problems doing downloads on your computer, you should find another computer that's working properly and do the downloads to a flash drive.  Then you can take the flash drive to your computer and do the installs from the flash drive.

Good luck.

Both of the applications require internet connection. They don't work like this.

Keep your AV on... don't destroy that.

Your connection is clearly being hijacked, rather than just having broken browsers.

This really looks like a malware issue rather than a technical issue. BUT... as a malware removal student I can't help you. Tied hands. Sorry mate.

edit: you could try in safe-mode, this could work.

Edited by TsVk!, 28 May 2014 - 04:35 PM.

#6 WillieFoxx

WillieFoxx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2014 - 04:48 PM

Thanks, folks.  I'll probably go back to Machiavelli.  Safe mode is worth a try but I do not know how to enter safe mode.  Can you point me in the right direction?

A.

#7 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,233 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2014 - 04:51 PM

Reboot your machine and keep tapping F8 until it starts beeping, a black screen with white writing will appear... Select safe mode with networking.

#8 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:51 PM

Posted 28 May 2014 - 04:57 PM

You CAN download MalwareBytes to a flash drive from a working computer.  I've had it on my flash drive for about a year, and I've used it to install on other computers with no problems.  I don't know about the other program you mentioned, but you can definitely download MalwareBytes to a flash drive, then put it on your computer from there.  This is the voice of experience - I've done it numerous times.  You can also download RKILL from Bleepingcomputer and do the same.  Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

Good luck.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#9 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,233 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2014 - 05:00 PM

You CAN download MalwareBytes to a flash drive from a working computer. 

Sure, it will just be a year out of date...

#10 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2014 - 05:01 PM

If you install Malwarebytes on a computer without an internet connection you will need to also copy across a manual update to the definitions.

http://data-cdn.mbamupdates.com/tools/mbam-rules.exe

The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#11 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,233 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2014 - 05:09 PM

Thank you Budapest. I have been missing that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users