Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Power Save Mode

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 garnetwr

garnetwr

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 AM

Posted 24 May 2006 - 06:10 PM

I have an HP machine that I cannot get to work. Four days earlier, the machine would operate without propblem; however, now, as soon as I power up the machine, it automatically goes into Power Save Mode - and all my power settings are at NEVER.

I've run AVG Anti-Virus software, Ewido, Spybot S&D and Ad-Aware SE on the PC in Safe Mode and none of them found anything.

Initially, the machine would allow my to operate in normal mode for a few moments; however, no longer.

Also, it would allow me to operate in Safe Mode without automatically 'power saving;' however, that has also stopped.

Any suggestions on what is going on or how I can stop it?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Snapper

Snapper

• Members
  • 550 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:49 AM

Posted 24 May 2006 - 06:46 PM

so basically, you can't boot into windows at all? if this is the case, you will have to re-install(repair) windows.
Google...Google.....browse..read

#3 garnetwr

garnetwr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2006 - 10:27 PM

I do get into windows, but the timeframe I am allowed to stay in it varies. Most times it 'power saves' within 30 seconds... other times it gives me almost 2 minutes. I was able to stay in Safe Mode for almost 8 hours, but then it 'power saved' as well.

What baffles me most is how this happened since no modifications were made to the PC between Saturday and Monday.

#4 Snapper

Snapper

• Members
  • 550 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:49 AM

Posted 25 May 2006 - 05:11 AM

well can you do a system restore?
Google...Google.....browse..read

#5 garnetwr

garnetwr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2006 - 07:09 PM

No - I cannot do a system restore as the machine does not stay active very long... and there is no restore point as I turned it off to save space (long, bad story).

It's as though the entire machine shuts down (as in Hibernates); however, I am unable to wake it up.

#6 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2006 - 10:39 AM

You may have a hardware problem.

How do you know it is hibernating rather than going into thermal shutdown?

#7 JPHarvey

JPHarvey

• Members
  • 508 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 PM

Posted 28 May 2006 - 06:21 PM

Maybe, as an interim solution, see if you are able to disable your Windows XP (I assume you are on XP?) hibernation. This can be found in display properties>screen saver>power>hibernation.

Let us know if that achieved anything.

Oh and as an added point, you may need to play with your power settings in the BIOS... :thumbsup:

Edited by JPHarvey, 28 May 2006 - 06:22 PM.

[CPU]Intel E6600 Core 2 Duo @ 3.19GHz
[MoBo]ASUS P5N32-SLI Premium (nForce590)
[RAM]4GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2-800 CL4 @ 710MHz
[GPU]XFX 8800 GTX 768MB [SLI] @ Stock
[PSU]CoolerMaster 1kW
[Audio]ASUS Xonar D2
[Case]Antec Nine Hundred
[OS]Windows Vista Ultimate 64
[LCD]SAMSUNG 226BW
[Other]WC'd CPU & SLI

#8 JPHarvey

JPHarvey

• Members
  • 508 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 PM

Posted 28 May 2006 - 06:54 PM

Is it actually going into hibernation? I have seen monitor power problems before where the monitor goes into powersave mode, however the PC does not go into hibernate. You should be able to discern which is happening, because in hibernate the power light should flash....
[CPU]Intel E6600 Core 2 Duo @ 3.19GHz
[MoBo]ASUS P5N32-SLI Premium (nForce590)
[RAM]4GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2-800 CL4 @ 710MHz
[GPU]XFX 8800 GTX 768MB [SLI] @ Stock
[PSU]CoolerMaster 1kW
[Audio]ASUS Xonar D2
[Case]Antec Nine Hundred
[OS]Windows Vista Ultimate 64
[LCD]SAMSUNG 226BW
[Other]WC'd CPU & SLI

#9 garnetwr

garnetwr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2006 - 07:50 PM

My response to JPHARVEY:
I have already disabled hibernate in the Power Settings under the Control Panel, but I'm not sure how to access the BIOS settings. I'm not sure if the BIOS would have changed as I am not able to access those settings (or I should say unknowledgeable about how to do it).

My response to Enthusiast:
I do not know if it is going into termal shutdown as I have no idea what that means. How do I correct it if it is that?

#10 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:49 AM

Posted 28 May 2006 - 08:28 PM

If I may? What Enthusiast want to know could the computer be shutting down because it is over heating?
To boot into the BIOS will entail tapping F2, F10, Delete, or whatever key your system requires just after you turn the computer on until the BIOS screen appears. If you see the Windows splash screen you missed it.
When was the last time you cleaned out the inside of your computer? That should be done at least once a year, twice if you have pets, or have a dusty enviroment. I clean all of mine 3 to 4 times a year. Many cats and dogs.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/cleaning-the-inside-of-your-pc/
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#11 garnetwr

garnetwr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2006 - 02:23 PM

If I may? What Enthusiast want to know could the computer be shutting down because it is over heating?

I have no idea if it's heating up or not... how would I know that? It doesn't stay on long enough for me to see or do anything.

To boot into the BIOS will entail tapping F2, F10, Delete, or whatever key your system requires just after you turn the computer on until the BIOS screen appears. If you see the Windows splash screen you missed it.

What settings should I look to change?

When was the last time you cleaned out the inside of your computer? That should be done at least once a year, twice if you have pets, or have a dusty enviroment. I clean all of mine 3 to 4 times a year. Many cats and dogs.

I was not aware that the insides needed to be cleaned out... I'll do that momentarily. Assuming it is filty and I clean it out, should it work then?

#12 garnetwr

garnetwr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2006 - 11:02 AM

:thumbsup: Okay... I've cleaned out the PC as instructed. I took it for a test boot and the machine doesn't make it through the beginnings of the boot process before the green light on the CPU switches to yellow and the screen reflects a "Power Save Mode" box.

Here is what happened both times I tried:
After plugging up all connections and pressing the power button on the machine, the screen reflected the 'DOS' window stating 'the machine had a problem powering up/powering down' and offering me the option of whether to boot up in a variety of Safe Modes or in Regular Mode.

The first time I choose Regular Mode and the machine immediately 'shut down.' I pressed and held in the power button until the machine powered down. After a few moments, I pressed the power button again to power the machine back on.

This time I choose the standard Safe Mode. The machine starts loading various items and then immediately shuts down. The screen displays the "Power Save Mode" box.

:flowers:

:trumpet: Now that I think about it... could it be Power Safe Mode? Is there such a thing?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users