Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Got a pretty S5, but how do i make it feel pretty on the inside?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 famicus

famicus

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:09 AM

Posted 24 May 2014 - 10:44 AM

Really cool phone, love it. But there has to be so much more I can do with this phone than what they're telling me.

For a small example how do i clear off these useless apps that came preloaded?

Are there ways to REALLY customize it?

Are there ways to optimize performance?

How would Verizon look upon a tweaked phone that's under contract?

I'm pretty new to the phone world, but any answers to the above or even some good reads would be very appreciative.

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 old rocker

old rocker

• Members
  • 476 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2014 - 10:57 AM

Samsung Galaxy S5 Review also

Google Samsung galaxy s5 Verizon

#3 Winterland

Winterland

• Members
  • 995 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:09 PM

Posted 24 May 2014 - 11:14 AM

Really cool phone, love it. But there has to be so much more I can do with this phone than what they're telling me.

For a small example how do i clear off these useless apps that came preloaded?

Are there ways to REALLY customize it?

Are there ways to optimize performance?

How would Verizon look upon a tweaked phone that's under contract?

Hello there famicus and welcome to Bleeping Computer.  :welcome:

As for clearing off the apps that came pre-loaded on your cool new phone - I've got the S3 and the wife has the S4 and we both love them - you would probably have to root the phone (gain admin rights) which, unfortunately voids the warranty.

Currently there are a couple of ways to root the S5 for T-Mobile and Sprint, which can be found here.

But Verizon (whom I don't like) is not fond of rooting at all. The details of their position on all that, can be found here.

Looks like you're stuck for now with all the bloat. My advice, or what we've done with ours, is to only activate the apps you are sure you're going to use, so that there isn't a bunch of apps running in the background, eating up your memory.

You can also manage some of that stuff via the Application Manager, shutting off / down apps you aren't using or have never used. When you do you'll get the standard message: "oh, no, stuff might not work right if you shut off ________"  but if some thing does get wonky, you can just restart the phone to fix it.

Hope that helps.

Winterland

Photobucket removed my cool flag - idiots!

Every calculation based on experience elsewhere fails in New Mexico.

#4 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,305 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:09 PM

Posted 24 May 2014 - 02:18 PM

If you don't feel comfortable rooting. For the apps that can't be uninstalled. You can disable a lot of OEM/Carrier bloatware then hide the icons in the app drawer. That's one of the wonderful things that happened with Ice Cream Sandwich. Don't forget to clear data after disabling to minimize file size. You'll no longer be notified of updates on the disabled apps either.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#5 famicus

famicus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2014 - 09:27 PM

Awesome advice, thanks guys. 

#6 Winterland

Winterland

• Members
  • 995 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2014 - 07:02 AM

>>  Holy Force Stop Batman! <<

I did not know about Turning Off (the option on my S3) or the "disabling feature", which is how it shows up on my wife's S4.

I surfed over to BC last night just as we were getting ready to go to sleep and I saw Animal's post and said out loud, "Holy ____, Animal says you can disable all the bloat we've got on our phones!"

My wife, known as Mrs. Smarty Pants in some circles, says, "Oh, yeah? Well, then tell Animal to post how to do it!"

Well, I'm thinking to myself, "well first off all, Animal has already told us that there is a way, I've got too much geek-pride to ask him how to do it..." and then I say out loud, "hand me your phone..."

Much goodness ensues and then I rassle Mrs. Smarty Pants to show her what's-what.  :P

Thanks Animal, over and over.

I love this place.

#7 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,305 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2014 - 05:04 PM

Sine the Lady of the Domicile has an S4 I'll customize the directions for an S4. My HTC One is slightly different in how you get to the Apps.

How to disable bloatware. (Disclaimer: Not ALL bloatware can be disabled) One more disclaimer. Make sure you only disable user apps not system apps. Otherwise she will have names for me that cannot be repeated in these forums. :P

Step 1: Go to Settings.
Step 2: Tap More tab.
Step 3: Tap Application manager.
Step 4: Swipe the screen to the right until you see the All tab. All installed apps will be displayed here, either the stock apps or the third-party apps you have installed.
Step 5: Tap the desired a stock app you wish to disable.
Step 6: Tap Disable button.
If you ever update the selected app, you will be presented with a notification to confirm you wish to replace the app with the default version(minus all the updates).
Step 7: Tap OK button to uninstall updates and continue to disable app, and then tap Disable button again.
Step 8: Tap OK button to confirm.
The selected app will be disabled. It will remove the app from Home screen and app drawer.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

#8 Winterland

Winterland

• Members
  • 995 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2014 - 07:37 AM

Sine the Lady of the Domicile has an S4 I'll customize the directions for an S4. My HTC One is slightly different in how you get to the Apps.

How to disable bloatware. (Disclaimer: Not ALL bloatware can be disabled) One more disclaimer. Make sure you only disable user apps not system apps. Otherwise she will have names for me that cannot be repeated in these forums. :P

We've already had a great weekend and this whole exchange has made it even better and made her crack up as well.

These instructions worked like a charm and now the Turned Off column of our Application Manger is starting to fill up with all sorts of stuff we've never used and - thankfully - we will no longer receive updates for. I've noticed a bit of a jump in speed in my S3 and she's notice a bit as well.

We already love our phones and she uses hers quite a bit for work - she does a lot of work via her phone - so any tweaks like this really do make her life easier.

All kidding aside and for anyone else who might come across this post, please remember, as Animal pointed out:

>>    "Make sure you only disable user apps not system apps"  <<

Thanks to the OP for the question and a big thanks to Animal for his always and on-going good advice and presence.

Now I'm headed off to the Linux Forums to see if I can break this HP with another attempt at dual booting.

Winterland

#9 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,305 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2014 - 01:52 PM

You're quite welcome. Glad to be of help as always.

Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users