Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

default programs not working

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Malcolm Rowland

Malcolm Rowland

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:45 PM

Posted 24 May 2014 - 09:59 AM

Windows 7 64 bit. The only progams in default programs are firefox and thunderbird ,try as I may I have been unable to fix, any help would be welcolm

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:45 PM

Posted 24 May 2014 - 04:23 PM

Hi,

Are you able to start the programs by other means? Have you looked at the properties of the programs to be sure that those shortcuts still point to the correct location? Can you create a new shortcut on your desktop and access the programs that way?

Keep us posted

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 Datcoolguy

Datcoolguy

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:45 PM

Posted 24 May 2014 - 06:16 PM

Can you atleast elaborate a bit more on the issue?

"If you don't understand how your computer works, you shouldn't be messing with it!"

#4 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:06:45 PM

Posted 24 May 2014 - 07:35 PM

What programs are you looking for in Default Programs?

Default Programs has several options. Are you looking for them in Set Programs Access and Computer Defaults?

Edited by Queen-Evie, 24 May 2014 - 07:39 PM.

#5 Malcolm Rowland

Malcolm Rowland
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2014 - 05:23 AM

File locations are fine,what am I looking for power point ,cd burner ,word processor ,photo viewers

#6 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 25 May 2014 - 10:26 AM

Default Programs has several options. Are you looking for them in Set Programs Access and Computer Defaults?

What path are you using to get to default programs?

In addition to the place listed in the quote, there is also Set your default programs and Associate a file type or protocol with a program.

Are you trying to associate a file type with a program?

As datacoolguy stated, you need to elaborate and provide more details.

#7 Malcolm Rowland

Malcolm Rowland
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2014 - 11:09 AM

Iam looking to set default programs

#8 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2014 - 04:56 PM

As I stated previously there are several ways to set default programs.

You haven't given us enough information to work with. We need you to be more detailed about what you mean by trying to set default programs.

For example, you mentioned Power Point. Are you wanting to set Power Point to open .ppt  and other Power Point extensions?

For photo viewers do you want to change what program .jpg, .jpep, .gif, etc. files open in?

Which of the following options are you using to try to set the default programs?

default-programs1.png

If you are going to Set program access and computer defaults, you won't find what you are looking for there. This is very limited-it allows for setting default browser, email client,  media player, instant messaging program and virtual machine for Java. (there may be more listed for others, but those are all I see in my list)
default-programs4.png

To set the programs for opening various file extensions you have to use one of the following:

This one will associate files that can be opened by a program. Microsoft Office is not in this list. Neither are individual components of Office such as Word, Excel, Power Point. (my husband has Microsoft Office on his computer. That is where I checked. It does have Outlook, but that is the only Office component listed) It will have Windows Photo Viewer. If you want to use that opens images, all you have to do is highlight it and click Set this program as default. Simply look through the list to see if the program you want as default is listed then choose it.
default-programs2.png

If a program is not listed, you will have to associate a program to open a file type. Scroll through the list to find the file type. To the far right will be the program currently set to open that file extension. To change it highlight the extension name, click Change Program. If the program is not listed choose Other Programs/Browse. You will have to browse to the folder of the program, find the .exe file for the program and click it.
default-programs3.png

#9 Malcolm Rowland

Malcolm Rowland
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2014 - 11:39 AM

Thanks for all sugestions but none have solved the problem. I have decided to do a clean install and thanks once again

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users