Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No Option For Microsoft Product Updates on Change Settings?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 NewJersey

NewJersey

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:56 PM

Posted 24 May 2014 - 09:38 AM

Hi.. Just got in a new PC from Dell, Win7 Home Professional. I am setting it up now. I want to add Microsoft Update for Microsoft Products to Windows Update, but there is no pick for this option on Change Settings area only options "are recommended updates" and "allow other users to update".  "Microsoft Update" and Software Notifications" does not appear. I need the office updates... what am I missing??.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SpywareDoctor

SpywareDoctor

• Members
  • 256 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2014 - 12:02 PM

Office updates are now included with Windows updates.

#3 NewJersey

NewJersey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2014 - 01:02 PM

I looked around the net and saw some else had this issue. He solved it by deleting the IE 11 update. When I removed Explorer 11 update and rebooted, a new MS updater program installed. I was then able to get the correct change settings screen which had the missing picks. I am now updating slowly from Explorer 8 to 11. FYI

#4 SpywareDoctor

SpywareDoctor

• Members
  • 256 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2014 - 02:03 PM

Good to hear the problem's been resolved. Thanks for letting us know. :)

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,752 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:56 PM

Posted 24 May 2014 - 02:35 PM

Thanks for letting us know how you resolved this.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 NewJersey

NewJersey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2014 - 07:28 AM

This is a nasty quirk which I am not sure many people with new PCs are aware of.... they are not getting full updates. Factory installs IE11 proforma, however, this seems to screw up the MS Updater somehow.

I was able to resolve it on my new machine, but I tried to do the same with a friend's new PC. I was able to toll back to IE and trigger the MS Updater which includes the two picks.  I was able to get IE 9 installed OK, but IE 10 and IE11 appear in updates as "optional", should be "important". They download OK, but when I go to do the installs, they fail.

#7 SpywareDoctor

SpywareDoctor

• Members
  • 256 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2014 - 08:30 AM

To see how many updates you have installed in Windows 7, click the Start orb, type in view installed updates and press [Enter]. Then look down at the bottom of that pane, just to the left of center.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users