Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What Is Winsock?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 pac73

pac73

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:06 AM

Posted 24 May 2006 - 05:21 PM

Ive just noticed something about winsock in c:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\ is this bad?And should i delete it.Its called,afd.sys.Ancillary function driver for winsock.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Nat Sci

Nat Sci

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:06 AM

Posted 24 May 2006 - 05:52 PM

This file belongs to the Microsoft Windows Operating System. Therefore its trustworthy. But it has a 6% chance of being malware because malware rename them selves as afd.sys. Though deleting it is not recommended. And the malware file is usaully in the folder system32, but not in the folder drivers.

Edited by Nat Sci, 24 May 2006 - 05:54 PM.

Legend has it that... If you put an AOL disc the opposite way and play it you can hear devilish music... Even worse if you put it the right way... IT INSTALLS AOL!
Click here 3 times for $100,000<--- I mean .00001 dollars.

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,121 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:06 AM

Posted 24 May 2006 - 07:58 PM

Winsock is an Application Programming Interface (API) for developing Windows programs that can communicate with other machines via the TCP/IP protocol. As Nat Sci stated the winsock.dll is a Microsoft Windows file that provides the interface to TCP/IP services and allows Windows to use Web browsers and FTP programs.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 pac73

pac73
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:06 AM

Posted 25 May 2006 - 05:37 PM

Ok,so its legit.I guess ill leave it then.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users