Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

kernel data inpage error and a bunch of weird problems

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 swann

swann

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:09 AM

Posted 24 May 2014 - 02:55 AM

Apologies in advance if this is in the wrong forum--it's possible this is a virus, but that wasn't my first instinct, so I thought I'd post here.  If I should move to the "Am I Infected" subforum, please let me know! 

I'm using an Asus q200e laptop, about a year and a half old, obviously running Windows 8.  A couple days ago I got a BSOD while working that read "kernel data inpage error."  I went back to working and everything was fine, but got the same BSOD the next day.  When I restarted this time, the computer was running very slowly and I got the BSOD several times in a row.  The computer continued to run extremely slowly, barely able to load a webpage or call up the task manager.  When I tried to access the control panel, I got an error message saying control.exe could not be found (subsequent attempts to open the control panel have been okay, though).  The weirdest thing is that text in webpages or even just in Windows sometimes random letters won't display? Image here: http://imgur.com/ONn0Hdi (But when I copy and paste the text the letters are in there? So they're being displayed white?) None of these issues come up in safe mode.

There's also thousands of instances of error 10005 "DCOM got error "1084" attempting to start the service ShellHWDetection with arguments "Unavailable" in order to run the server: {DD522ACC-F821-461A-A407-50B198B896DC}" in the event log, and it looks like they started right around the same time as the crashes came on.  

Restoring back to a few days before the BSODS didn't fix anything.  Memory diagnostics doesn't find any problems, MBAM and Windows Defender don't find anything (I know that doesn't rule out viruses completely), and while a chkdsk seemed to clean some things up, the problems are still there.

If anyone could help me figure out what the heck is going on I would be much obliged.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• BC Advisor
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:39 PM

Posted 24 May 2014 - 04:38 AM

Hi

Please post a "Speccy" snapshot of your system by following instructions from the below guide.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/323892/publish-a-snapshot-using-speccy/

#3 swann

swann
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2014 - 11:47 PM

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/03v5icVinWSxyqvlImSUHYj

Also, the weird disappearing letters seems (?) to have resolved itself after I ran a second chkdsk.  

#4 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• BC Advisor
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2014 - 12:22 PM

Unfortunately i have bad news for you. HDD "SMART" data collected by "Speccy" clearly indicates that your hard drive is failing. Please follow the below steps.

1. Backup everything important to an external medium as soon as possible. 

2. Download and install "Seagate Seatool" from the below link.

http://www.seagate.com/in/en/support/downloads/item/seatools-win-master/

3. Run the tool and select your HDD for testing. Choose "Basic Tests --> Long Generic" and wait until it finishes. Let me know the test result with next reply.

#5 swann

swann
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2014 - 09:21 PM

Long Generic - FAIL

I'm assuming this is just confirmation that my hard drive is on its way out.  Is there any way to know how long I've got left?  I have everything backed up in a cloud service.   

#6 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• BC Advisor
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2014 - 10:52 PM

Hi

SMART data shows large number of bad sectors which means the drive's surface condition is really bad. I can't say how long the drive will work but i would recommend replacing the drive as soon as possible for a smooth computing experience.

#7 swann

swann
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2014 - 11:01 PM

Yikes--just for future reference so that this doesn't happen again, do you know how this might have happened or what typically causes it?  Thanks so much for all your help.

#8 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• BC Advisor
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2014 - 04:53 AM

Hard disk by it's mechanical nature is vulnerable to failure than any other component in a computer. Also the magnetic platters may suffer wear and tear over time. However failure rate of hard drives increased in the recent years thanks to manufacturer's production cost reduction techniques. Due to the high demand for high storage capacity drives, manufacturers invented a method to fit more data on platters using micro compression techniques. For example, a 160 GB HDD and 500 GB HDD shares the same physical architecture but 500 GB one will use aggressive compression technologies to fit more data on the drive. While this type of techniques allows manufacturers to produce large capacity drives at low costs, reliability will be compromised.

There is not much we can do it expand the life of hard drives. Experts recommends provide as much as cooling to the system to expand the life of hard drives and of course all other components.

http://www.dtidata.com/resourcecenter/2007/01/27/hard-drive-failure-heat/

#9 swann

swann
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2014 - 05:06 AM

Cool, thanks very much--I was just worried I had done some incredibly stupid thing to make it die so young.  I'm looking into getting a new drive; thanks for all your help!

#10 asusEleven

asusEleven

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:09 PM

Posted 15 October 2014 - 10:41 PM

Hello, 

I know this topic was from a few months ago, but I'm having a similar problem and was hoping to get some information.  I've posted my speccy results: http://speccy.piriform.com/results/jEbotz1UxdfXtHfwY01Nxsr

Distinctive symptoms:

- Some programs, like Chrome, die after about 30 seconds

- Process Explorer shows Disk usage varying more than I'd expect, and spiking to 99% when I get the kernel inpage errors

- Some programs, like Event Viewer, won't open at all (though trying to open it spikes memory to 99%)

Any help is much appreciated!

Thanks

#11 swann

swann
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2014 - 02:03 PM

fwiw, I ended up just having to clone and replace the drive.  Have you run the Seatool tests? 

#12 asusEleven

asusEleven

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2014 - 10:40 PM

Thanks for the response, swann!  I'm going to run the Seatool tests and see what happens! 

#13 asusEleven

asusEleven

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2014 - 10:53 PM

Long Generic FAIL for me as well :(

May I ask about how much it cost you to clone and replace the drive in the ASUS laptop?  Where did you have the work done?  Have you had no problems since the replacement?

#14 swann

swann
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2014 - 11:20 PM

I bought a thin Seagate SSHD for about $100 NZD (I expect it would be cheaper in the states, or if you went for just a regular HDD). I did all the work myself, which was a bit nerve-wracking but worked out perfectly.  I used EaseUS's ToDo cloning program--it's free, relatively easy to use, and there are tutorials on their site. The whole process took a few hours but was done in one evening.  Back everything up that you can though!  

No problems since the replacement except for a weird thing that's been going on since I bought the original laptop, where sometimes when I plug it in while it's on, the screen goes dark and can't be brought back except by either sleeping it or waiting about ten minutes (any other ASUS users have this issue?) but that's clearly not a hard drive thing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users