Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need to transfer hard drive from HP that doesn't turn on.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 EarlyComA

EarlyComA

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:54 PM

Posted 24 May 2014 - 01:23 AM

I have an HP laptop that isn't working right now. I can't get if to turn on at all. I want to get a new laptop but I want to transfer my hard drive somehow from the old laptop to the new one but don't know how. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,414 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:54 AM

Posted 24 May 2014 - 02:02 AM

If the new laptop has provision to fit two hard drives, you can simply fit up the old hard drive, reformat it and use it for storage (assuming it is not so old that it has IDE interface instead of SATA). Since not a lot of laptops have such capability, an external USB enclosure is not expensive, and enables a second HDD to be easily used.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,723 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:54 AM

Posted 24 May 2014 - 03:26 PM

FWIW:  I may be wrong...but "transfer" implies to me that you may intend to simply move the drive from one system to another...and use the Windows and programs installed on it.

The only way that can happen is that the two computer systems have the exact same components.  The license for Windows on the new system will be different from the license on the old system, the drivers will be different, the hardware components will be different.  All of these things are reflected on the hard drive currently in the old system.

Before I did anything with that hard drive...I'd run an appropriate hard drive diagnostic on it before using it for anything. 

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 24 May 2014 - 03:28 PM.

#4 Mistersprinkles

Mistersprinkles

• Banned
  • 118 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:54 PM

Posted 24 May 2014 - 03:33 PM

All you need to do to transfer your files to the new computer is take the hard drive out of the old laptop, put it in something else (an external enclosure, your desktop, etc, and copy the contents (excluding things you shouldn't be copying like system files and windows itself, which you will not need) to the new laptop's hard drive, or to an external drive, or to a USB thumbstick, or burn them to a few dvds, etc. You get the idea.

Honestly, I'm surprised you're even asking this question as the answer is quite obvious.

#5 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:11:54 AM

Posted 24 May 2014 - 10:36 PM

Honestly, I'm surprised you're even asking this question as the answer is quite obvious.

Here is something else that is obvious: If he knew how he would not be asking HOW to do it.

People have differing levels of technical expertise. Don't know something? Then ask questions.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users